PC Gamer: Top Ten Fan-Remade Classics

[NE]Fobby[GEN]

• Totem Arts Staff

Renegade X

Command & Conquer: Renegade was not a good game, but the idea of being on the ground during the chaos of a Command & Conquer game has resonated with the makers of Renegade X, who've toiled to right that wrong. It's not a remake, but a resurrection. Glimpses at Renegade X's drive home that it's basically Battlefield in the C&C universe, with swirling online fights showing spectacular mix-ups between tanks, choppers, and infantry. They've already released the single-player game, but you should wait for the release of the multiplayer component in February to see C&C: Renegade's promise finally fulfilled.

Download:IndieDB

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/01/01/ten-t ... ight-now/2

Always aggravates me to see someone claim that Renegade was not a good game. The singleplayer was poor and the multiplayer had glitches and lag galore when it was first released. It's been patched and edited so much since the release that for people to claim it is not a good game just shows that they are making a review based off of a game they maybe tried a few times when it was first released. Sorry, but if you're going to make a review - do your research.

But at least they are recognizing Renegade X and getting it publicity I suppose.

Anon, PC Gamer reviews a game just as any other proper reviewer approaches the situation... from the moment it's released. Just as you mentioned, when the game was released it was shit. Singleplayer lacked in just about every department (putting it lightly), and the multiplayer was extremely buggy until the first official patch and subsequent modification and patching from the community took place. That being said, every single mention of Rene being an overall disappointment is due to its initial presentation.

I would like to think Renegade was given a second chance through press release of follow-up modification and patching, as PC Gamer tends to do this, but perhaps this was one game that was overlooked completely.

Still great publicity.

Here is the original article in November after the youtube release date trailer:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/11/28/reneg ... ps-dreams/

Yes I just find it to be aggravating that the game is almost 12 years old now, and someone is still claiming that it "was" bad. The fact that they say "was" when it is still an active game says enough. If someone is going to claim a 12 year old game is bad in a review, they may as well try it out again to reassure themselves, rather than simply go off of what their original experience was with the game.

Sort of like when Diablo 3's servers couldn't hold the amount of people that were trying to login in the first few days. They've since added servers and almost entirely fixed the issue, yet people still complain about the poor servers. I guess first impressions are the most lasting ones - which was never a good thing for Renegade.

It seems PCgamer has really taken an interest in Renegade X and that will bring a lot of good publicity.

@Dev Team, does it make you kinda nervous that popular game magazines will probably review your work with some scrutiny? I personally feel anxious when I present something I make to my friends, I can't imagine what its like being under the lense of gaming press.

Congratulations on the publicity nonetheless :)

Well the game is going on steam, and hands down will get reviewed and critisised by them (total biscuit is going to be a good example, and he is an old school C&C fan) im sure the whole battlefeild statement is used because that is the most popular game to compare it to and thus ppl know what they are talking about cus "oh it has vehicles and infantry combat"

"Glimpses at Renegade X's drive home that it's basically Battlefield in the C&C universe.".

Flew right over my head when I was reading that article. Fucking facepalm lol.

Worse part is, this game's legacy predates battlefield if I am not mistaken.

In other words, battlefield is nothing but a cheap knockoff of this, not the other way around.

Also, the objective is quite different. How even... I just don't know. It is hard to resonate with "common gamers" when you "know your stuff".

"Glimpses at Renegade X's drive home that it's basically Battlefield in the C&C universe.".

Flew right over my head when I was reading that article. Fucking facepalm lol.

Worse part is, this game's legacy predates battlefield if I am not mistaken.

In other words, battlefield is nothing but a cheap knockoff of this, not the other way around.

Also, the objective is quite different. How even... I just don't know. It is hard to resonate with "common gamers" when you "know your stuff".

Actually, both C&C Renegade and Battlefield 1942 came out in 2002, though Renegade was in February and BF1942 was in September. Though this means they were both in development at the same time. Aside from the base aspect, they are very similar...though the base mechanic is the reason Renegade was so great. I dont necessarily blame people for making this connection, though.