Renegade-X Mesa Showcase

Nielsen

The map looks stunning from the video and I cannot wait to play it.

One question though. It doesn't exactly appear to be a mesa? A mesa is defined as having a relatively flat top (such as a tabletop).

This, for example is a Mesa:

250px-IslandInTheSky.JPG

However, this is what is shown in the video as the "Mesa:"

image.jpg

Love the map from the video alone, but I'm curious to as why it is being called "Mesa" when the center actually looks more like a regular mountain than a plateau at all? I suppose it is a tiny bit flat, but not enough to be considered a "mesa." Sorry if I'm nitpicking, but it just seemed odd to me.

• Totem Arts Staff

Because the original map was called Mesa. :P

I didn't want to remake it in the original style because I felt that'd be too boring. Graphics became so much better in the intervening years that it's not an achievement to simply redo a map in the same style, it'll always look better regardless of your efforts, so I did a re-imagining inspired by what some Counter Strike: Source levels did, completely change the theme and feel of the map.

Could've called it something else but eh, fuck it.

Alright, fair enough :P

I'm aware of the original Renegade map name, but it just seems as if it looks like a brand new map entirely. I recognize the layout being fairly similar, but there's also a lot of differences (don't get me wrong - I very much like that it is different). If I were you, I would have renamed it and said it was "Inspired from the original Renegade map "Mesa."" But that's just me, since I'm nitpicking :)

Once again though, it does look absolutely beautiful and I can tell a lot of time and effort was put into it. Cannot wait to see how it plays.

• Totem Arts Staff

I felt keeping the name would do it more justice since the size and all major elements are exactly the same.

Giving it a different name would make it seem as if I'd be hiding the fact I took the original layout. I could've put "inspired by Mesa" everywhere but it's not inspired by Mesa, it's almost the exact layout. It would feel disrespectful to the original designer I feel. (it's like "Mesa" but my take on it)

The walls are something I really wanted for all maps because bases don't feel like bases in the original ren, there's some extra props here and there too but yeah, layout is almost 1:1.

There was a map with actual mesas in production at some point, got canned though.

Glad you like this version at least :D

Any chance we can get an overhead snapchat view of the map? It's hard for me to compare it to the original map without yet ever playing it. I was just curious to as why it was still being called "mesa" when the mesa aspect to the map was actually entirely removed lol. But yeah, if the layout is the same, then I see your point. Personally, I still see plenty of differences from the original map (enough to allow you to give it a new name :P), but that's just me again.

I have to stop looking at this stuff, been playing the game since the first release date and if the playability is half what you are doing with these pre-release trailers and video's I might as well resign my job now since I am not going to make it in to work on time for a month...come on release date. You guys ever need help with advertising and marketing let me know.

Stunning! Nielson and van Elmen are just genii! I have dreamed of someone using the basalt columns for a basic map asset in a game for such a long time... It just lends itself so well to create an exotic and atmospheric environment. You did a perfect job! A geologists dream come true :)

I also want to stress the amazing direction of the trailer! Again, just perfect! The pacing, the music, the angles. Such a pleasure to watch and such a nice thing to see in a time when dupstepexplosionsinyourface-trailers seem to be the only thing they teach at film academy.

Thanks, I really don't know what to say other than, the RenX team just deserves to be right up there in the industry.

Now I'm looking forward to my retreating tank getting stuck in that blue tiberium crystal at the center of the cave {:^D

• 2 weeks later...
I felt keeping the name would do it more justice since the size and all major elements are exactly the same.

Giving it a different name would make it seem as if I'd be hiding the fact I took the original layout. I could've put "inspired by Mesa" everywhere but it's not inspired by Mesa, it's almost the exact layout. It would feel disrespectful to the original designer I feel. (it's like "Mesa" but my take on it)

The walls are something I really wanted for all maps because bases don't feel like bases in the original ren, there's some extra props here and there too but yeah, layout is almost 1:1.

There was a map with actual mesas in production at some point, got canned though.

Glad you like this version at least :D

Besides that, I like the fact that they used the original map names despite having made completely different maps. The maps could have been nothing like the original maps, there could have been no center cave at all, and I still would have loved it.

It feels so "reminiscent" to use the classic names. It feels so authentic classical to use mesa, field, islands, walls... I have liked all their changes, mesa being the most changed in my opinion, and it feels so very authentic to be able to use classic map names. Maybe I just live too deeply in the nostalgia.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...