Stances (Prone, Standing, Crouching)

HeadClot

• Totem Arts Staff

An engagement in BF 3/4 will last a lot shorter than it would in ren depending on the weapon ofc but still, that's bobbins.

There is crouch but no prone because it wouldn't match the style of the game. The maps and gameplay aren't suited for lying down and sniping somewhere, everything's a tad too cramped for it and gameplay wise you'd probably be at a disadvantage by going prone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Both leaning and prone are bad FPS mechanics IMO.

If a player meets an enemy who leans around a corner he will have a harder time to hit the leaning player as he sees less of the enemy's body. The same goes for prone. Prone and leaning both give the player doing it a slight but unfair advantage.

":1u22ohy1]Both leaning and prone are bad FPS mechanics IMO.

If a player meets an enemy who leans around a corner he will have a harder time to hit the leaning player as he sees less of the enemy's body. The same goes for prone. Prone and leaning both give the player doing it a slight but unfair advantage.

Topic at hand aside, that is entirely the point of those two mechanics.

When a player goes prone, their movement becomes heavily restricted. Not only that, but when moving while in prone, you cannot shoulder your weapon. This basically means that yes, you are a smaller target, but you are also a sitting duck that cannot fire and move at the same time.

Leaning, on the other hand, requires the use of cover and the environment to be useful. That means you must first be in a defensible location for leaning to be of use. It therefore becomes less of an advantage in the use of the control feature but rather more of an advantage in knowing the lay of the land and defending a location in the environment. Location is key and knowing how to set yourself up is a key tactic when engaging in a firefight. The person who gets to the location where leaning gives them an advantage deserves the advantage. That's just how it works.

I can feel everyone else on prone being quirky and lean being interesting as far as combat. How far lean is an issue, if it only conceals legs and half hip it isn't too concealing while still being a "stationary" advantage from cover while running hopping is a moving advantage.

The better question is, will there be reticle reaction to movement (less accuracy widening reticle = running and jumping and changing directions/ more accuracy tightening reticle = stationary or better yet crouching). Because the presence of both benefits the defender, the absence of both benefits the rusher.

I feel like I got a much better look in a twitch stream.

I thought it would be highly unbalanced with the new additions and also not feel very classic renegade with the new sprint and rolls.

However, it actually adds from the lack of balance from the classic, and makes it more action packed without making it too serious, and gives new options against tanks and such.

SUGGESTION: Watching that stream, if it isn't in already, make it so where sprinting automatically switches to third person (or have an option to make it so), it adds to arcade-y feel, and makes "getting to landmarks" easier to do, as well as utilizing rolls and such.

Against snipers I thought it would be dumb, but really snipers got a pretty big balance against them and sprint isn't even one of them compared to free "marksman" which are cheap low effectual snipers and the snipers having pretty low fire rate besides their low clip size.

Against tanks you can now more reliably get that c4 on them with sprint, although it still just as easily leads to suicide doing so. Using range dependent units like flame warriors that used to be weak it actually buffs them as against infantry they can actually get within effective range for the weapon so it doesn't seem to do no damage.

Really, from the new look, lean would maybe actually fit in as rolls and such do, but not prone and plus with the look of it it seems prone would probably end up changing the classic battle dance from old renegade that still exists, and replace it with frowned upon drop shotting.

Last thought on it: SO FAR IT'S FREAKIN AMAZING :eek:

• 1 month later...
but not prone and plus with the look of it it seems prone would probably end up changing the classic battle dance from old renegade that still exists, and replace it with frowned upon drop shotting.:

Oh god, this will give me NIGHTMARES. I would just chuck my mouse against the wall the first time it happened and alt-f4...