Construction Yard

Girly_Days

I know that this topic has been discussed many times already yet i want to talk about it again.

So the construction yard. I have an idea how it can be easily added to Renegade X without making the gameplay too complex and changing it a lot.

Here is how it works:

While the construction yard is alive players may spawn as engineer/hotwire/technician to repair buildings and vehicles.

When it is destroyed they can't and it will make sense since the construction yard is an HQ for field engineers.

What it adds to gameplay:

-A bit more tactics - destroying main base building actually seriously cripples the whole base like it was in original C&C (at least it crippled the player)

-Vehicle drivers will have to think more, since there are no engies behind their backs to patch them up and in case of serious damage they will have to drive all the way back to the repair platform.

-Repair platforms will be used much more often and will finally fulfill their role. (also imagine the waiting lines near it lol)

There can also be a ton of derivatives (like revival of destroyed building for a large sum of money) for the construction yard use but i don't really know if they are easy to make and if they will or won't break the balance.

Oh and if the devs will read this and actually consider it, please make the roof of the construction yard round. I still have nightmares about it's roof from the renegade.

Thanks!

upd

Also another variant is to change a price for engineer class, something like 500-700 credits, that way it's going to be a disadvantage without ruining the hope for the team.

Edited by Guest

Destroying an enemy structure should give them a disadvantage, not take away all their hope. Most structures get damaged a lot over a time. Without a repair-weapon the game would be over in no time.

In the currently, there is not a CY in the game and it probably will depend on the mapmaker or there ever will be one in a map. But in Renegade they did repair structures automatically, and that was somehow just perfect enough. Even in C&C RTS games you can still repair when your CY is destroyed, and additional the way the maps of renegade are designed, there is not really place to hit and run. So your tank will not last for long without engineer.

Currently, there are also server for Renegade (original) that allow building recovery. However the Ren-engine was limited with these kind of stuff.

Destroying an enemy structure should give them a disadvantage, not take away all their hope. Most structures get damaged a lot over a time. Without a repair-weapon the game would be over in no time.

In the currently, there is not a CY in the game and it probably will depend on the mapmaker or there ever will be one in a map. But in Renegade they did repair structures automatically, and that was somehow just perfect enough. Even in C&C RTS games you can still repair when your CY is destroyed, and additional the way the maps of renegade are designed, there is not really place to hit and run. So your tank will not last for long without engineer.

Currently, there are also server for Renegade (original) that allow building recovery. However the Ren-engine was limited with these kind of stuff.

the way the maps of renegade are designed, there is not really place to hit and run.

Well of course i am not talking about the original maps.

The idea is to place construction yard behind all other buildings in the back of the base. Also give it enough HP to survive single ion cannon/nuke. That way it might work.

From what i have seen people usually rush with more than one beacon anyway, but if the map is done right it should be hard to reach it however not impossible. Just balance it somehow.

Also another variant is to change a price for engineer class, something like 500-700 credits, that way it's going to be a disadvantage without ruining the hope for the team.

Maybe there should be some experimental maps with CY first.

Obviously it's not going to be mine decision whether add it or not i'm just giving the ideas.

Edited by Guest

Disabling engineers completely is a little too much. It would leave the defending team without any form of defense basically.

If you want to go down the Con Yard path, maybe make it a lot harder to destroy and always keep the basic engineer available.

Alternatively you could look at introducing a whole (sub) gamemode all together not unlike the Titan mode in BF2142 or the Tech Plants in Planetside 2. Having to destroy/unlock multiple doors before being able to access the MCT and destroy it. With the Con Yard being extremely resiliant from attack from the outside.

I think the gameplay would be affected too much. The best way I see this happening, is connecting the CY to either a few units (hotwire, volt auto rifle, combat rifle and laser chain gun for example) and/or make it a sort of tech building with an extra effect (slow repair of all buildings, adding a choosable extra unit or weapon or something). Nothing as drastic as messing with the basic units.

This is how it did work in renegade as well.

In renegade quantity of hp repaired over 1s was a function f=exp(C*x) where x is the damage done by player.

At some point it repaired itself faster than player could deal some damage (from the outside).

Now i guess if you're talking about exactly the same thing, it's not really a good idea.

However if you will make HP over time a constant value, so that building slowly repairs itself even without engineers it may be okay.

What if make this function something like f=exp(C*t) or f=C*t where t is time outside combat so that building will repair it faster the more it stays outside the combat.

When someone attacks it, the healing stops and everything relies only on engineers.

This is how it did work in renegade as well.

In renegade quantity of hp repaired over 1s was a function f=exp(C*x) where x is the damage done by player.

At some point it repaired itself faster than player could deal some damage (from the outside).

Now i guess if you're talking about exactly the same thing, it's not really a good idea.

This was only the case in single player.

In multiplayer, Construction yards healed your structures at a constant rate. I don't know the exact rate, but it was something like a little less than that of an engineer.

The way it worked in Renegade is probably the best option. Basically while the construction yard was up, it auto-healed any structures that were damaged at a fixed rate. This made destroying buildings before taking down a conyard a bit more difficult and required you're concentrated fire since you couldn't stop and attack something else or else the damage you did would be repaired.

It shouldn't be unsurpassable healing, but definitely something that makes it difficult to deal with and at the same time a big help for your team.

Why not just make the Con Yard the last building that has to be destroyed? It would only be on certain levels of course. I think placing it it at the back of the base surrounded and protected by concrete walls would be a good idea. Once all the other buildings were destroyed, a few small security fences would open up and the enemy would be able to access the Con Yard, but only on foot. The Con Yard couldn't be flame rushed because vehicles wouldn't be able to fit throught the security fence. This would allow for a "Last Stand" type scenario with only foot soldiers. It'd be cool to have one or two player controlled turrets back there too, since the defending team would be outgunned.