Release Date Unveiled!

[NE]Fobby[GEN]

This is looking great guys. As soon as I saw the trailer I literally put my hands in the air and said out loud "my body is ready".

As for the rest of the update, I'm loving the guns and the map, but the character models did bother me a little.

For a start, Raveshaw is sporting a C&C3-era Nod logo on his cap, which is pretty out of place considering Renegade took place many years before Nod changed their logo.

Also, Raveshaw himself has a decent body, but his face looks a bit too young and angsty, instead of looking like the evil guy he undoubtedly is. Me and a few guys on my teamspeak server were discussing this the other night and came to the conclusion that this iteration of Raveshaw looks more like the likable Chester Bennington (from Linkin Park) than the evil Heinrich Himmler (leader of the Nazi SS and probably who Raveshaw's character was based on).

To illustrate this a bit better, I've quickly photoshopped an image I like to call "The Scale of Raveshaw".

9f6R9SY.png

As for Mendoza; to me again his body is great, but the face bothers me a lot (although not as much as Raveshaw's). He bares a passing resemblance to Mendoza from the concept art and the original game due to a few things. The beard is ridiculously innacurate and kind of looks stuck on. This, combined with the dark shadowing around the eyes, makes him look rather monkey-like. He also looks a bit too young to be Mendoza, the big lips and full face don't really scream seasoned Nod mercenary at me at all.

Here's another quick photoshop with a few side-by side screenshots to compare and to help get my point across.

QMAIvbc.png

Mendoza does look more like Zangief-wearing-a-beret at the moment with the beard and all; it's something to think about. I think that Big Boss does kind of look more like Mendoza from the concept art, so that's why I included him at the end.

You guys have gotten pretty much every other character in the game right but I'm sorry to say that the faces on these particular two just aren't as good as the team's previous work. I may be just nitpicking, but I do want you guys to totally nail it when the game is released. Keep up the good work!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally forgot this was a thing. Just last week I randomly remembered there was a BF1942 Renegade mod (Dawn of Destruction) and got the impulse to find out whatever happened to it (long dead.) Suddenly today I get an email out of the blue about this one (which, as mentioned, I totally forgot about.) Looks awesome, BTW.

I totally forgot this was a thing. Just last week I randomly remembered there was a BF1942 Renegade mod (Dawn of Destruction) and got the impulse to find out whatever happened to it (long dead.) Suddenly today I get an email out of the blue about this one (which, as mentioned, I totally forgot about.) Looks awesome, BTW.

Hehe, something like that happened to me some days ago too, but instead of BF1942 I was looking for C&C Reborn.

Hi Zetti btw.

This is looking great guys. As soon as I saw the trailer I literally put my hands in the air and said out loud "my body is ready".

As for the rest of the update, I'm loving the guns and the map, but the character models did bother me a little.

For a start, Raveshaw is sporting a C&C3-era Nod logo on his cap, which is pretty out of place considering Renegade took place many years before Nod changed their logo.

Also, Raveshaw himself has a decent body, but his face looks a bit too young and angsty, instead of looking like the evil guy he undoubtedly is. Me and a few guys on my teamspeak server were discussing this the other night and came to the conclusion that this iteration of Raveshaw looks more like the likable Chester Bennington (from Linkin Park) than the evil Heinrich Himmler (leader of the Nazi SS and probably who Raveshaw's character was based on).

To illustrate this a bit better, I've quickly photoshopped an image I like to call "The Scale of Raveshaw".

9f6R9SY.png

As for Mendoza; to me again his body is great, but the face bothers me a lot (although not as much as Raveshaw's). He bares a passing resemblance to Mendoza from the concept art and the original game due to a few things. The beard is ridiculously innacurate and kind of looks stuck on. This, combined with the dark shadowing around the eyes, makes him look rather monkey-like. He also looks a bit too young to be Mendoza, the big lips and full face don't really scream seasoned Nod mercenary at me at all.

Here's another quick photoshop with a few side-by side screenshots to compare and to help get my point across.

QMAIvbc.png

Mendoza does look more like Zangief-wearing-a-beret at the moment with the beard and all; it's something to think about. I think that Big Boss does kind of look more like Mendoza from the concept art, so that's why I included him at the end.

You guys have gotten pretty much every other character in the game right but I'm sorry to say that the faces on these particular two just aren't as good as the team's previous work. I may be just nitpicking, but I do want you guys to totally nail it when the game is released. Keep up the good work!

I think this more comes down to opinion. When I saw the new Raveshaw model my first thought was "Himmler-inspired?".

Can anyone tell me how the down-sight view will work? Is is just a way of zooming in a little bit or really a way of shooting better?

Both, and neither. You can get away perfectly fine without ADSing your assault rifle, pistol, volt rifle. For snipers this is obviously not the case :P As for myself I never ADS for non-snipers, simply because I prefer mobility and surrounding-awareness than I having a bigger target and more accurate bullets.

From a dev standpoint, how would you see this game playing out as an eSport game? You have to consider really the 4 qualifications you need for a competitive game is:

1. Spec. Mode

2. Built-in Recorder (ie. demo recorder for valve games)

3. Good hit registry/netcode

4. A Unique experience!

This game looks pretty cool! Can't wait to play it!

Im not sure about the spectator mode (Which would be really handy for catching cheaters), but I do know there is a demo-recorder which has been used for a lot of the trailer footage.

As for the netcode, that I assume comes down to what it looks like in the stock UDK. Unsure if they have (Or can for that matter) made any changes to it.

Try and find a more unique FPS experience than the C&C-Mode!

I think this more comes down to opinion. When I saw the new Raveshaw model my first thought was "Himmler-inspired?".

Hmm, I wouldn't say that was 100% true. The new Raveshaw's face does look a lot more youthful that it really should be. If there more more facial lines/wrinkles, more scars and the shape of the face was reworked a bit, it'd look fine imo. It just doesn't look as if care and attention has been paid when trying to replicate Raveshaw's face.

There's still the problem of that Tiberium Wars Nod logo too.

Also I've just noticed, his ears are comically large.

Hmm, I wouldn't say that was 100% true. The new Raveshaw's face does look a lot more youthful that it really should be. If there more more facial lines/wrinkles, more scars and the shape of the face was reworked a bit, it'd look fine imo. It just doesn't look as if care and attention has been paid when trying to replicate Raveshaw's face.

The Raveshaw does look more like an evil smart and wise general in that suit. I really like it ;)

Mendoza does look like someone you don't want to meet in an interrogation. While the one you are considering does look more like the chief of SCHIELD (Avengers) style which is more the "Good guy pirate".

The logo could be an issue for these die-hard-C&C-fans, I have to agree on that point ;).

I think it's a pointless to make him look exactly the same as in Renegade. You certainly won't notice, or even care, while playing the game. The current rendition of ravershaw will do the job just fine.

Besides, he looks better than the original. :cool:

I didn't even notice the C&C 3 logo. That's interesting. Out of place, but interesting.

Can anyone tell me how the down-sight view will work? Is is just a way of zooming in a little bit or really a way of shooting better?

It's a little yes and no. You can get away all match not using ADS at all. But for situations where you can lean back and take your time lining a shot up, it lets you get a closer view on your target with a more fine-tuning aiming sensitivity setting.

Just rest assured that it's set up in such a way that works for people who want to use it, but is completely optional for people who don't want it.. and it's not an imbalance at all.

R315r4z0r, atlas and jam, thank you for the answers. This is really helpful, as I worried that it had been changed too much. This is the very best solution in my opinion.

I guess the spread doesn't change when moving. Several suggestions where made that this would not be in line with the original game, altering it too much. Renegade has near constant movement. I like it that way, making it different from many other games. I mean with this that you hardly stop when in a firefight, while other games often force you to slow down. The ads is a good addition I some situations.

For Raveshaw and Mendoza. I have to agree that Raveshaw looks a bit young. Adding more lines gives him character and age. Mendoza looks intimidating though. Even so, the extra lines and scars would give him a more intimidating, powerful feel too.

All in all minor details on a highly detailed and polished game.

The Raveshaw does look more like an evil smart and wise general in that suit. I really like it ;)

Mendoza does look like someone you don't want to meet in an interrogation. While the one you are considering does look more like the chief of SCHIELD (Avengers) style which is more the "Good guy pirate".

The logo could be an issue for these die-hard-C&C-fans, I have to agree on that point ;).

Raveshaw's body is great, I'm just not digging the face or the C&C3 logo on the cap.

Mendoza looks angry because his beard is stuck on with superglue. :P

I think it's a pointless to make him look exactly the same as in Renegade. You certainly won't notice, or even care, while playing the game. The current rendition of ravershaw will do the job just fine.

Besides, he looks better than the original. :cool:

Hold the phone a second. If it's so pointless to make Raveshaw's face look exactly the same as in Renegade, then why has the team gone to so much trouble to make the other characters accurately?

I don't get the logic behind why you think that a remake of Renegade shouldn't try and remake the majority of the content as accurately as possible (as shown with the vast majority of the assets. Redesigning the APC and certain weapons was a good call though).

Being a game designer myself, I am the sort of person who does notice and does care. I think that the model could definitely be improved to look more like Raveshaw, rather than a young angsty guy at a C&C costume party.

Of course the new Raveshaw looks visually "better" than the original, it isn't hard to out-do a model that was made 12 years ago; what I am getting at is that the head hasn't been modelled with accuracy to the source material in mind.

Thank you so much for making this! I have missed renegade since the westwood servers stopped and haven't found anything quite like it. Just heard about this project a couple months ago and finally registered an account after lurking for a bit. Thank again for making this! February can't come fast enough!

Wow, I'm truly amazed at how far this game has come. I remember the days of playing Under on the demo for hours. I remember playing City_Flying/Walls_Flying (Always hoping for GDI ;) ) and messing with Ocras/Apaches. This game is going to be really awesome. My solemn prayer though, it does not meet the same doom as its predecessor.

Can't wait to get this game on its release date. Also, how will this game, the one being released be played? Will it be its own game, like a Renegade remake? Or something different? (sorry Its been too long since my last visit here, I gave up entirely on Renegade a long time ago)

Wow, I'm truly amazed at how far this game has come. I remember the days of playing Under on the demo for hours. I remember playing City_Flying/Walls_Flying (Always hoping for GDI ;) ) and messing with Ocras/Apaches. This game is going to be really awesome. My solemn prayer though, it does not meet the same doom as its predecessor.

Can't wait to get this game on its release date. Also, how will this game, the one being released be played? Will it be its own game, like a Renegade remake? Or something different? (sorry Its been too long since my last visit here, I gave up entirely on Renegade a long time ago)

the core gameplay is the same, but lots of things have been tweaked and/or added in order to make this game an even more awesome one :P

• Totem Arts Staff

This game will be completely free.

There's no campaign mode, there's only the standalone download "Renegade:X Black Dawn" (for singleplayer)

This is like the old Renegade but with extra features and gameplay.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been distant, but I have been an active player of C&C Renegade over the years. I got the first "C&C Collection" box set when it was new for my birthday, I suppose I was 13 since now I am 22 almost 23?

Thank you people, my hopes, dreams, and future was dashed when they cancelled making any sequel to it, I have been working to keep it on life support and play it as much as possible, it has practically turned me into the Angry Video Game Nerd against the modern gaming culture of CoD and GTA5, and now it doesn't have to continue to be this way. Thank You So Much.

Thank the indie games scene. May generic big retail games fall under their own weight and indie games collect together to continue into the future. This next year is going to be a great change in gaming and a great year for people with good taste in gaming.

Since I hear talk about publicity, I will post a little small thing on the off topic of Planetary Annihilation forums, and something in my "The Realm" clan forums news section as well.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD. I just saw TheGunrun's live stream http://www.twitch.tv/thegunrun/b/495140364 . So much has changed since the UT3 mod it's unbelievable. I can't wait to see what GDI is like now. I think you guys have successfully captured everything that made Renegade great (and more)!

Keep up the good work! This game was worth the wait.

I just stumbled upon this after doing a quick search to see if there were still Renegade servers up. Wow, this is great, very exciting. I feel spoiled I just happened to find this so close to the release :D

Looks like a great project and a revival of such a great and under-appreciated game.

I just stumbled upon this after doing a quick search to see if there were still Renegade servers up. Wow, this is great, very exciting. I feel spoiled I just happened to find this so close to the release :D

Looks like a great project and a revival of such a great and under-appreciated game.

There are. Want to play some? PM me.

And yep, this is truely amazing. I think that twitch stream two posts above did great justice showcasing the game. My goodness we live at a good time atm.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD. I just saw TheGunrun's live stream http://www.twitch.tv/thegunrun/b/495140364 . So much has changed since the UT3 mod it's unbelievable. I can't wait to see what GDI is like now. I think you guys have successfully captured everything that made Renegade great (and more)!

Keep up the good work! This game was worth the wait.

Here is a newer stream, 2 days ago, same outstanding gentleman, playing from what I've seen as GDI this time. Get to see GDI now.

http://www.twitch.tv/thegunrun/b/496274723

Dude, the first minute is the end of a Field map. The 5 minutes after that is incredibly authentic and fun game with a fresh load of Islands map. Classic starting off with a bloodbath infantry tunnel war, all of a sudden explodes into a buggy invasion with panic trying to deal with enemy c4, then all of a sudden explodes into nod heavily laying siege to gdi refinery while 5 engineers try to keep it alive, then as they repel the invasion you MUST WATCH at 5:17 when the arty is destroyed the enemy engineer goes FLYING OVERHEAD AT THE CAMERA!

If anything, just watch 5:17. That engineer flying at the camera just barely overhead is HILARIOUS!

What is the format which this game will be released under? Is it going to be via Steam or will it be a standalone client?

Initially as a standalone game. There are however plans to bring Renegade X to Steam and/or Origin in the future.

So will Renegade X 1.0 be a standalone without need of Unreal Tournament?

It will be the free UDK version?

I did not believe that this mod would reach the free/standalone 1.0 state at all. So much time since Renegade release. Good Job! I hope that the game will feel a bit more like the original Renegade gameplay. Tested it with a mate ~ 1 year ago and it felt kind of dark, slow and heavy. The singleplayer campaign was an unbalanced waste of time, which should have been used for the multiplayer. No offense. Will test multiplayer again when it is released as standalone.

Shame that EALA got shut down too, but EA is diggin' it's own grave - every day a bit more. There is no current EA game series left, which even works correctly and does not make use of ingame transactions. You will do better :cool:

Have a nice day :)

Shame that EALA got shut down too, but EA is diggin' it's own grave - every day a bit more. There is no current EA game series left, which even works correctly and does not make use of ingame transactions. You will do better :cool:

Have a nice day :)

I agree with EA. I am heavily biased against them, but I still openly say it. Some game developers, squad, mojang, uber entertainment, totem arts... they consider their works of art, their game designs, like children. A longterm commitment and the goal is to get it right and not just to profit.

...In regards to EA then, it is sickening because by comparison they practically profit off the blood of their children.

• 2 weeks later...
What is the format which this game will be released under? Is it going to be via Steam or will it be a standalone client?

Initially as a standalone game. There are however plans to bring Renegade X to Steam and/or Origin in the future.

Just as an idea: Why don't you put your game already on Steam Greenlight?! If you put it in by now there's a great chance your game can be one of the voted "greenlighted" games and be available on Steam by release!

Just have a look: http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight

Would be great to download it via Steam and get Updates automatically as well :)

I would like the oddles of steam members to see the game when they go surfing for shtuff to play.

I have steam but wouldn't opt to get this on it if it has standalone.

If its possible for them to do steam, please do, but I suspect a game they can't do any form of monetization from is going to somehow not meet some form of criteria for Steam. Which would suck but thats life.

I would like the oddles of steam members to see the game when they go surfing for shtuff to play.

I have steam but wouldn't opt to get this on it if it has standalone.

If its possible for them to do steam, please do, but I suspect a game they can't do any form of monetization from is going to somehow not meet some form of criteria for Steam. Which would suck but thats life.

Im sure if Valve is such an awesome publisher, theyd have no problem with RenX. /sarcasm

Anywho, its possible Valve would allow it on Steam if they got ad revenue from it, but the only ads on Steam are for Steam. If you look at something similar, like Black Mesa, they even started charging for that to put it on Steam. Valve may play the negotiator and try to convince EA to allow such a thing, but considering how obsessed EA is with Origin, I doubt it.

Seconded. Epic job guys, can't wait to ride this wave out. Cya on the 26th. Peace!

• 2 weeks later...
I believe they are very confident the servers can handle the download numbers.

When Black Dawn was released there weren't any problems.

P.S. Is there an exact time of release? Feb 26 doesn't mean much due to the different time zones.

Sorry, but even I don't know the answer to that. All we know that it's coming feb 26th. I think it will be less last-minute then Black Dawn though, so i think you won't have to wait until the evening. :P

I'd like to extend a HUGE thankyou to everyone involved in the development of Renegade-X. The nostalgia it brings is priceless. I played Renegade multiplayer religiously back in 2002-06 and can honestly say that nothing compares. The CnC series (mostly Westwood era [Tibsun and RA2 specifically] ) are the best games I've ever played. I feel a constant sense of remorse knowing that it will never be the same and the golden era of CnC left over 12 years ago. I'm so glad to see that there are others who are still dedicated to the series. I've followed this mod for years, bought UT3:B for it a few years ago also. I am so glad that it is finally being released and it looks fucking INCREDIBLE! Great job guys! Thanks for being a light of hope in the CNC universe!

I'd like to extend a HUGE thankyou to everyone involved in the development of Renegade-X. The nostalgia it brings is priceless. I played Renegade multiplayer religiously back in 2002-06 and can honestly say that nothing compares. The CnC series (mostly Westwood era [Tibsun and RA2 specifically] ) are the best games I've ever played. I feel a constant sense of remorse knowing that it will never be the same and the golden era of CnC left over 12 years ago. I'm so glad to see that there are others who are still dedicated to the series. I've followed this mod for years, bought UT3:B for it a few years ago also. I am so glad that it is finally being released and it looks fucking INCREDIBLE! Great job guys! Thanks for being a light of hope in the CNC universe!

Well said, feel the same way!