Renegade X - Summer Update!

[NE]Fobby[GEN]

• Totem Arts Staff

Whoo! It's been 4 months since we've put out any updates for our upcoming indie FPS game, Renegade X. We've been in our corner tinkering with the game, working on new assets, and having a blast in test sessions. Honestly, we just forgot about yall. Oops?

Today we'd like to discuss a huge list of items. Let's start!

Stuff

Renegade X is a tactical FPS game for the Unreal Development Kit. It is a shooter with RTS elements, and it will feature tons of weapons, vehicles, maps, and two unique factions. Our singleplayer demo is available for download, and our multiplayer version will be out later this year.

The game is shaping up. All of the base components are there, and we have been playtesting for months. There is a lot of polishing that is necessary, and that has been our main focus for a while. We've been working on the netcode to overcome lag issues, which hinder the fluidity of the game. We've also been refining and fine tuning the experience - re-adjusting game values to bring Renegade X up to date whilst maintaining its arcadey classic-FPS feel.

RypelCam is back! RypelCam is a custom software that allows players to take images and record and watch interactive videos of the game. You'll be able to rewatch recorded games at whatever angle you want, slow things down, quicken things up, and make some really awesome trailers. Let that be a hint at our next media update ;)

Currently, Renegade X has seven core maps (Mesa, Field, Islands, Hourglass II, Lakeside, Goldrush, Walls_Flying), all of the core buildings, all of the core weapons and vehicles, a skirmish mode with customizable bots, superweapons, and much more.

Railgun

We finally got down to doing a new railgun which is not an amalgamation of other weapons put together! This weapon was a GDI prototype that was confiscated by Raveshaw's Black Hand special ops teams. The weapons were being moved from France to Italy via the Mediterranean in GDI transport disguised as a civilian freighter. Nod forces boarded the ship and took its contents to Libya, where they found that the ship was carrying a valuable cargo which was on route to the eastern European frontline. That cargo would become Raveshaw's trademark weapon: the Railgun.

The railgun will work a little differently tha how it did in the original game, and we'll be releasing the details in another update. Check it out below!

Rx_Railgun.png

Silenced Pistol

The pistol needed an upgrade, so we've decided to model a new one based on the P22 Walther with a silencer. It resembles the alpha C&C Renegade pistol that can be found in old pre-release trailers and screenshots. We've overhauled our audio systems dramatically, and each of our weapons now have their own distance-based sounds, so the significance of silenced weapons has greatly increased. The silenced pistol is now a much more viable infiltrator weapon than it was in the original game.

Rx_SilencedPistol.png

Grenade Launcher

Our older model had some animations issues, and it wasn't to par with all of our other art. We wanted to make it pretty, like the rest of the game! The GDI Grenade launcher is a free weapon that fires explosive rounds. It's hard to top that. What more do you want? Come at me bro!

Rx_GrenadeLauncher.png

Ion Cannon Beacon

The Ion Cannon Beacon, nicknamed "Godsend", is GDI's way of calling down its spaced-based superweapon. All a player needs to do is purchase the beacon, plant it at the enemy base, wait a few seconds, and kablamo!

Rx_IonCannonBeacon.png

Hourglass II

Hourglass II is a remake of the original Hourglass with some revisions. The original Hourglass was infamous for all of its "pointwhoring" and camping, and most matches resulted in a timelimit expiry rather than base destruction. We wanted to make the map a little more fluid. We removed the major base defenses and added flying units, and we unanimously say, this level is a lot more playable now. For you oldschool RenX fans, it has the excitement of Horologe with the calculative qualities of Hourglass. We also replaced the dirt with snow. Winter is coming, so might as well get used to it now.

Rx_HourglassII_01.jpg

Rx_HourglassII_02.jpg

Rx_HourglassII_03.jpg

Mesa

Aaaaaand we'll end off this update with some screenshots from Mesa.

Rx_MesaII_01.jpg

Rx_MesaII_02.jpg

Rx_MesaII_03.jpg

Rx_MesaII_04.jpg

Thanks for the update! Nice to hear the game is progressing and getting closer to release!

These models look nice! The railgun seems a little unwieldy, but I love the new GL! Is that hourglass?! O_o Looks nice and I agree with the endless turtling being a problem, but why did you change the setting? Ah, I see, Goldrush is probably some kind of desert map and you were missing a snow map like Under? What happened to that map btw? As far as I can remember there were some pics of it redone in the UE3? Anyway, back to Hourglass: if you hadn't mentioned it, I wouldn't have recognized that map from the screenies. Same goes for Mesa. And it's awesome! Because, let's be honest, maps weren't the prettiest part of the original Renegade, but these screenshots look amazing!!!

I loooooove the atmosphere of Mesa! Those lava columns...

Thank you Nathon Fillion!!! I've been dying to see an update like so many others. I have a quick question though (dunno if it's possible) but as in the original renegade, will we be able to swap textures and sounds? For example when I got a kill in Renegade instead of the boink sound I would hear the old Tiberian Dawn commando say "real tough guy".

Thank you Nathon Fillion!!! I've been dying to see an update like so many others. I have a quick question though (dunno if it's possible) but as in the original renegade, will we be able to swap textures and sounds? For example when I got a kill in Renegade instead of the boink sound I would hear the old Tiberian Dawn commando say "real tough guy".

You can't be serious!!! Renegade without boink! I'm speechless...

[…]

You will not be able to use custom textures when playing online. While it was cool to use your own skins in C&C Renegade, it also came with a security risk (e.g. big head). With Renegade X you will only be able to join servers if your files match that server's files to take care of cheaters.

[…]

You will not be able to use custom textures when playing online. While it was cool to use your own skins in C&C Renegade, it also came with a security risk (e.g. big head). With Renegade X you will only be able to join servers if your files match that server's files to take care of cheaters.

Ah oh well, I see the dilemma (just a fan of the gray Nod colors from classic). Thank you for your response and I'll just play the sound byte in my head.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice nice NICE work mates! Sadly I've been inactive last couple of months and weren't able to help testing etc, but I'm glad to see it's finally coming to an end where the release is in sight :D

You guys should make a statue of yourselfs in a random map, u deserve them!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...