FAQ: Ask questions here, frequently.

Patriot

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parachutes? What happened to the good old 'pray your pilot doesn't think that the opposite of "shot down" is "up"' strategy?

I'm not sure if I would like parachutes, they would open a whole new range of possibilities to attack an enemy base, but with the ramjets getting weaker vs aircraft it's already going to be very hard to get that aircraft down on your own even with powered up railguns/pics. If you even get a chance to get away alive with a parachute if you fly as high as you can, it makes orca's and apaches a little too good to be true in renegade.

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.

QUOTE (R315r4z0r @ Jul 24 2009, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maps are made previously set up for each team to play in their pre-designed locations. For there to be mirror matches, three different versions of each map would need to be made (4 if you want to add in the ability to swap team locations)

You would need:
1. GDI vs Nod version of the map
2. Nod vs GDI version (swapped locations) of the map
3. GDI vs GDI version of the map
4. Nod vs Nod version of the map

I think it would take too much work for one map.. but hey, I'm not on the dev team so I don't know what they would consider to be too much work.[/b]

Can't they just code it to swap entities? That is, the building entities simply have a flag that says which team they belong to, and depending on what that flag is set to you get a different model, belong to different team, etc.

QUOTE (R315r4z0r @ Jul 30 2009, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's the limit to the limit?

Err.. what's the maximum amount of vehicles a host can allow in their server? Is there one?[/b]

I imagine it's whatever the current Engine can handle. Hopefully rigorous testing will reveal where the limit is. I know that in Empires the server gets really bogged down at around 24 vehicles total, so they capped it to 12 per team. Of course, the server could have this set to a lower limit if they want to emphasize infantry combat or they don't have the hardware to support more vehicles. Vehicles are really resource consuming in Source Engine, not as much in UT3.

Don't know if it has been asked before but , could you let us the drive the Harvester? since it occupies a vehicle slot and (almost all the time you are under siege) has the bad habit to push your vehicles out of formation towards the gazillions of enemy artys , it could help to put a smart pilot there to organize 'Harvester runs' as i call it :P to go harvest when it's clear and prevent the Harv from pushing you around and ruining the defence.

• Totem Arts Staff

You won't be able to drive the main harvester because there's much that can go wrong there (n00b drivers, people going afk, people taking a longer way than necessary, team hampering, or someone who just naturally sucks at everything) but you will be able to purchase your own harvesters by the second or third release.

QUOTE (epicelite @ Aug 12 2009, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know for saying your gonna stay true to the original game as much as you do, you sure decided to change a lot. <_<[/b]

Says the person who asked

I want to replace the sapper in TF2 with timed C4 from RenegadeX.

I can has? laugh.gif

Or will whoever made it do it maybe?[/b]

From the Don't remake glacier thread
QUOTE ( @ Mar 3 2009, 02:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is the worst map ever.[/b]

And
QUOTE (epicelite @ Jul 30 2008, 06:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So we going to be able to drive a harvester to help our team our or not?

Maybe even drive the main harvy because harvs are stupid. :lol:[/b]

I was just thinking.

I saw in your newest video how the Repair Beam locks on to vehicles/people. (which I think is really good, don't get me wrong.)

But, is there going to be some kind of priority lock-on for the beam?

I'll give an example for what I mean. Say you are defending the Weapons Factory as GDI, and you're sitting there repairing it while Nod pound it relentlessly with Mobile Artilleries.

Then comes along someone else on your team, and they are all like "don't repair, just let it die, you're just giving them points". Obviously, you don't listen to them. But then they get angry, and they start jumping around in front of your MCT. In this situation, will your beam stay locked on to the MCT, so that you can continue to save the building? Or will it lock on to the other teammate (assuming they have taken damage or something from the MobArts)?

Also, another example is if you're in field and repairing tanks, and then a sniper comes along who has taken a hit tries to jump in front of your beam, will it lock onto the sniper, or stay with the tank?

QUOTE (b3h1ndu @ Aug 13 2009, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was just thinking.

I saw in your newest video how the Repair Beam locks on to vehicles/people. (which I think is really good, don't get me wrong.)
But, is there going to be some kind of priority lock-on for the beam?

I'll give an example for what I mean. Say you are defending the Weapons Factory as GDI, and you're sitting there repairing it while Nod pound it relentlessly with Mobile Artilleries.

Then comes along someone else on your team, and they are all like "don't repair, just let it die, you're just giving them points". Obviously, you don't listen to them. But then they get angry, and they start jumping around in front of your MCT. In this situation, will your beam stay locked on to the MCT, so that you can continue to save the building? Or will it lock on to the other teammate (assuming they have taken damage or something from the MobArts)?

Also, another example is if you're in field and repairing tanks, and then a sniper comes along who has taken a hit tries to jump in front of your beam, will it lock onto the sniper, or stay with the tank?[/b]

The rep gun could fire a straight non-locking beam with the primary fire and a lock-on beam with the secondary fire, thus making the secondary fire useful and unique.

• Totem Arts Staff

Right now the repair beam locks onto a target, as long as your retical is on that target or if your character is moved about 30 degrees to the right or left. Only when you're clicking of course.

If someone's running across the MCT the beam will hit them for about a second and then lock back onto the MCT.

• Totem Arts Staff
QUOTE (An4x1madr0s @ Aug 13 2009, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you plan to do the extra Character models? i mean i would love running around owning GDI as Kane! ;P[/b]

Let us get the normal character models before thinking about extras :P We've got about 28 to worry about.

This is a question for Fobby I imagine:

What kind of sounds will C4 and beacons have? There are countdown mods for both C4 and beacons. For beacons I got no objection, but C4 that is literally counted down in numbers is a bit too unfair. a series of beeps that increases speed as it get's closer to detonation is my favourite. What are you planning yourself?

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.

QUOTE (Dehumanization @ Aug 16 2009, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone know if more damage will be delt when a vehicle is hit from the sides and behind? When regular renegade it seems that where every you hit the vehicle (front, side, back) the same damage is delt.[/b]

Right now, vehicles take damage in the same way that any vehicle in UT3 would take damage. That is, they do take damage according to where they are hit. One of many great benefits of moving to a more advanced engine.

If you've ever had the chance to play UT3, you know what I mean. If not, I suggest you give it a try when you have the chance. That would probably give you the best feel for how Renegade X will play.

(Added to FAQ)

• Totem Arts Staff
QUOTE (Demigan @ Aug 17 2009, 04:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a question for Fobby I imagine:
What kind of sounds will C4 and beacons have? There are countdown mods for both C4 and beacons. For beacons I got no objection, but C4 that is literally counted down in numbers is a bit too unfair. a series of beeps that increases speed as it get's closer to detonation is my favourite. What are you planning yourself?

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.[/b]

The Timed C4 already has the countdown timer on it, which is a great gameplay element and helper to both the team that planted it and the enemy team, so atm there is no count down beeping sound or otherwise.

Beacons will be the same.

QUOTE ((NE)Fobby(GEN) @ Aug 17 2009, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Timed C4 already has the countdown timer on it, which is a great gameplay element and helper to both the team that planted it and the enemy team, so atm there is no count down beeping sound or otherwise.

Beacons will be the same.[/b]

So there will be no sound but only the display on the C4 itself?

The reason why the always beeped on renegade was because of balance reasons and to encourage teamwork , since the things were always beeping you would have to defend it , without the permanent beeping a lone wolf SBH will be able to play alone all he wants and others will eventually do the same , thus fracturing the heart of Nod as they will not care for the code of the Brotherhood :o

"Brotherhood , Unity , Peace..."

QUOTE (Demigan @ Aug 17 2009, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Timed C4 never beeped on my CP untill I got a mod to do it for me. But if you say it will beep, it will beep. :) [/b]

I think Fobby meant it'll just make the single beep that you get when you click the mouse to plant it, so people nearby (or potential c4 sticking victims) might become aware of it.

It should work like in Renegade , that is all...

Also i had an awesome idea for the ion cannon animation... when it fires the clouds 'open' and you can see the Ion Cannon firing from space!

That would be Epic Win multiplied Googolplex times :P (and that is a real number by the way....)

Something like this http://jbsc.deviantart.com/art/Ion-Cannon-...set=10#comments

QUOTE (An4x1madr0s @ Aug 17 2009, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It should work like in Renegade , that is all...

Also i had an awesome idea for the ion cannon animation... when it fires the clouds 'open' and you can see the Ion Cannon firing from space!

That would be Epic Win multiplied Googolplex times :P (and that is a real number by the way....)

Something like this http://jbsc.deviantart.com/art/Ion-Cannon-...set=10#comments[/b]

Well, realistically, you probably wouldn't see the Ion Cannon satellite from space, anyway- clouds or no clouds, due to it's high orbit. It would appear way too small to reveal any sort of detail from the ground. Though, the image you linked above does demonstrate a really cool effect. But I'm not sure if it will be feasible to have such a complex animation, no matter great it looks- it could cause some deep drops in frame rate.

PopSci featured a great article on this subject, last year- that is, how game developers have the technology available to produce games far more advanced than what is currently on the market- but it'd be pointless to do so, since no one would have to PC horsepower to do run the games. Thus, developers often have to cut some amazing features out of their games, before the final release.

2 things:

1: the repair gun. Right now it will lock on to people if you are repairing an MCT. This is no problem if they are walking past. But if they stick around, say they start repairing the MCT too but do to lack of space they start hanging in front of your nose, they will defenitely become a problem. Could this be fixed by making the alt-fire always fire a straigth beam that never locks on?

2: Volt auto-rifle. I think this one is a winner for an overhaul. In renegade this weapon simply shoots one beam at a time. I think this weapon could be changed: keep the damage output per second the same, but make it shoot a continous beam. This will make it easier to hit someone but also more important to keep the beam locked on to someone.

The only unbalancing factor I would see is that it would become much easier to find SBH with it. What are your plans for this weapon?

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.

As long as it is not TOO much i can live with it , they are trying to fix exploits and such u know

QUESTION : What is the level of gore you guys are going for? , if i kill someone with a Med , will i see them blown in half ? like c&c gold/95/TD ?

Btw , you guys should not limit your GFX level to that of a 2 years old game , just saying :)

look at Angels fall first planetstorm's ship , they have crazy detail and the engine can take em fine

http://www.moddb.com/mods/angels-fall-firs...ginn-battleship

http://www.moddb.com/mods/angels-fall-firs...r-mk11#imagebox

http://www.moddb.com/mods/angels-fall-firs...leship#imagebox

QUOTE (An4x1madr0s @ Aug 25 2009, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As long as it is not TOO much i can live with it , they are trying to fix exploits and such u know

QUESTION : What is the level of gore you guys are going for? , if i kill someone with a Med , will i see them blown in half ? like c&c gold/95/TD ?

Btw , you guys should not limit your GFX level to that of a 2 years old game , just saying :)

look at Angels fall first planetstorm's ship , they have crazy detail and the engine can take em fine

http://www.moddb.com/mods/angels-fall-firs...ginn-battleship

http://www.moddb.com/mods/angels-fall-firs...r-mk11#imagebox

http://www.moddb.com/mods/angels-fall-firs...leship#imagebox[/b]

If they were to put that much detail in it, then the system requirements would go up :P

More poly's = more detail but also more poly's = better computer

here is a question that has reached millions..............................do you plan to add an urban camo for ALL the Nod units? (just add an arrow like the heroes that lets u switch between original and urban , etc.)

And something similar for GDI too plz? Desert , Forest , Snow ........... PLEASE? :wub:

QUOTE (An4x1madr0s @ Aug 27 2009, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
here is a question that has reached millions..............................do you plan to add an urban camo for ALL the Nod units? (just add an arrow like the heroes that lets u switch between original and urban , etc.)

And something similar for GDI too plz? Desert , Forest , Snow ........... PLEASE? :wub:[/b]

I didn't see camo on sakura....

They just about said for 20 times, they won't. Unlike renegade, it's not simply making a new skin, it's making a new character from the ground up. Right now that comes on a lot of characters already, adding double characters will be a great waste of time. Do you want the mod to come out this year or somewhere halfway the next?

• Totem Arts Staff
QUOTE (An4x1madr0s @ Aug 28 2009, 01:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL i want IS Nod urban camo so that they dont look like the most STUPID military organization in the history of mankind , i can do without the others and without the final Renegade skins :angry: :angry: :angry:

PLZ -_-[/b]

-Calm down
-Stop making demands

We're doing black and white (urban camo) for the basic Nod infantry and things like officers. For the Blackhand and other special units, they'll be keeping the red, since they are a higher tier of class in the Brotherhood.

GDI will be keeping their gold camos. Why? Because that's how they always were. The only reason why we're doing urban camos for some infantry in Renegade X is because Nod in Tiberian Dawn wore gray.

Pretty much , but i can live with what Fobby said :)

the Giant red targets were just killing me inside since Nod was the most interesting faction in CnC

And i got over exited over the beta footage that looked more like TD ...all i ever wanted since then was urban camo...... thx

QUOTE ((NE)Fobby(GEN) @ Aug 28 2009, 01:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-Calm down
-Stop making demands

We're doing black and white (urban camo) for the basic Nod infantry and things like officers. For the Blackhand and other special units, they'll be keeping the red, since they are a higher tier of class in the Brotherhood.

GDI will be keeping their gold camos. Why? Because that's how they always were. The only reason why we're doing urban camos for some infantry in Renegade X is because Nod in Tiberian Dawn wore gray.[/b]

I never would have noticed that you got that from Tiberium Dawn... Man has time passed. Good ideas. It truly will make things way better looking this way.