FAQ: Ask questions here, frequently.

Patriot

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (epicelite @ Feb 7 2009, 01:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The word "Remake" usually implies that your are IMPROVING on the previous thing.[/b]

And... they are... it's on a new engine...

Changing and adding things does not necessarily mean "improvement." What you are suggesting them do is not just remake the game, but instead change and modify it.

That isn't the goal here. It's simply to remake a good game that everyone liked. Take an old game and bring it to modern-day quality. Not change it into something different. This mod wouldn't be worth all the effort if they started changing, editing, and adding things that weren't in the original Renegade and completely tarnish the gameplay that was set in that game.

Tunnel nukes: a nuke would make the tunnel collapse on top of the one who placed it (for some reason these are tactical nukes/ion strikes that have a small area of effect, and the beacon is protected by the one who placed it usually). On top of that, we could say that the amount of rock and stuf in between interferes with the signal, making targetting much harder for the nuke/ion cannnon. So to prevent friendly fire they wouldn't fire. (If you prefer RPG reasons, read above)

If you prefer more normal reasons: How can a nuke go through a tunnel wall and then explode on a tiny beacon?

A butterfly knife for an SBH? Do you know how GOOD that would be? I can stealth kill dozens of people in Under with just a pistol from a small distance without them ever finding exactly where I fired from. If I could just walk up to them and stab them in the back, and continue on towards every sniper on the hill without delay, my killcount and pointcount would skyrocket. A stealth sniper is dangerous enough, but that would just be too dangerous by far.

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.

QUOTE (Demigan @ Feb 7 2009, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tunnel nukes: a nuke would make the tunnel collapse on top of the one who placed it (for some reason these are tactical nukes/ion strikes that have a small area of effect, and the beacon is protected by the one who placed it usually). On top of that, we could say that the amount of rock and stuf in between interferes with the signal, making targetting much harder for the nuke/ion cannnon. So to prevent friendly fire they wouldn't fire. (If you prefer RPG reasons, read above)[/b]

well the thing is WHY do they not kill friendly units... basically... don't even TRY to bring any sort of realism to something that has to do with Renegade (or just the whole C&C genre/universe in all

Yes it is "cool" and it makes sense to give him a knife, but he should not get one because he didn't have it in Renegade. It's not about upsetting Renegade's balance, its just as simple as he should have what he had in Renegade and not have whatever he didn't. That's it...

And no, it shouldn't be a "server option" to give him a knife either.

Yes we will be releasing everything you need to make custom Renegade X maps in the Unreal Editor. We'll also be making detailed instructions on how to get our custom stuff working correctly. Of course writing those instructions will take a while so we probably won't release the stuff for a few weeks or a month or two after we release the mod.

I know that the great thing about Renegade is the multi-player, but after watching the February trailer it looks like you might be making the story mode as well? Is this true, and would it be worth the extra time when most people really only want the multi-player mode?

QUOTE (Galen @ Feb 11 2009, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know that the great thing about Renegade is the multi-player, but after watching the February trailer it looks like you might be making the story mode as well? Is this true, and would it be worth the extra time when most people really only want the multi-player mode?[/b]
Answers? :P

QUOTE (R315r4z0r @ Feb 11 2009, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They said they have no plans to make a single player at this time. They also said they just used to first level of Renegade just so they can show it off in the trailer.

Also, that map is going to be a multiplayer map as explained in the Feb update.[/b]
Oh, okay. Thanks for clearing that up.

Q: If two players have one copy of UT III, they have the same serial number. You cant go onto internet with both together. Will this be the same with renegade-x, being a mod? I have no idea what rules for serial numbers apply to the mod. I expect the same but i want some more clearaty.

Ban4life

QUOTE (NEFobbyGEN @ Feb 14 2009, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Everyone must have their own copy, and therefore serial key, of Unreal Tournament 3 in order to play Renegade X.

UT3 where I live is just $15. Might as well go and buy a second copy for your friend.[/b]

its a brother, so we have to discuss who bought it again xD. We are never sure :)
thanks anyways.

About the rain, yes its pretty obvious. I'm a one piece focused person, so I have no trouble to see the important things, and ignore the things like rain and stuff.
Most people are field focused though, and see everything together. I dont know how much trouble they will have with the game.
On the other hand, fps is one for piece focused. So I dont expect much trouble for any renegade X players. Its really easy, try downtown with UT III and you will see for yourself. You dont notice the rain. And if you are having trouble, its np. I would own you anyways ;)
and like demigan said. You wouldnt notice the stank by the rain. Before you see the rain splashing of the tank, you can see the tank tracks (like seen in the last trailer!) or the shimmering.

btw, why do they have so much dirt spraying everywhere? Stanks are designed to leave not a trace.

Ban4life

QUOTE (Ban4life @ Feb 15 2009, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
its a brother, so we have to discuss who bought it again xD. We are never sure :)
thanks anyways.

About the rain, yes its pretty obvious. I'm a one piece focused person, so I have no trouble to see the important things, and ignore the things like rain and stuff.
Most people are field focused though, and see everything together. I dont know how much trouble they will have with the game.
On the other hand, fps is one for piece focused. So I dont expect much trouble for any renegade X players. Its really easy, try downtown with UT III and you will see for yourself. You dont notice the rain. And if you are having trouble, its np. I would own you anyways ;)
and like demigan said. You wouldnt notice the stank by the rain. Before you see the rain splashing of the tank, you can see the tank tracks (like seen in the last trailer!) or the shimmering.

btw, why do they have so much dirt spraying everywhere? Stanks are designed to leave not a trace.

Ban4life[/b]

Umm, from what i remember being told earlier from someone elses post, that's a bug with the island map

http://www.game-monitor.com/search.php?gam...amp;location=US

UT3 currently has a rather low player amount for US servers. Seeing as how mods of a game generally have even less players online that the original game itself, does this mean that Renegade X will see a very low average player count?

If I remember correctly... when Westwood Online still hosted the original Renegade the average player count was around 600-800 online (quite a large amount, by today's standards).

• Totem Arts Staff

I remember those days, when WOL had about 800 and Gamespy had about 400 or 500 all at a time. Good times.

You have to remember that Renegade X is not limited to the UT3 community. In fact most of our fans are coming from the C&C community; people who either don't play much UT3 or don't have the game bought yet. We've also got a fair amount of fans in the UT 2004 community. The mod is also only getting more popular as time passes by.

Realistically we won't have as many players as Renegade originally did, but there should still be enough to enjoy the mod.

Can there be some achievements? Maybe to promote team play and bragging rites but no real use otherwise?

Like uhhhh,

CLOSE CALL

Disarm a beacon 3 seconds before it destroys a building

AIMBOT USER

Get 10 headshot kills in a row as a $500 sniper

OWNED

Win a game by pedestal beacon when your team only has 1 building left

PLASTIC EXPLOSIVES EXPERT

Destroy one of every building in the game useing C4 explosives only

I dunno I am just bored. )^=

QUOTE (epicelite @ Feb 17 2009, 04:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can there be some achievements? Maybe to promote team play and bragging rites but no real use otherwise?

Like uhhhh,

CLOSE CALL
Disarm a beacon 3 seconds before it destroys a building

AIMBOT USER
Get 10 headshot kills in a row as a $500 sniper

OWNED
Win a game by pedestal beacon when your team only has 1 building left

PLASTIC EXPLOSIVES EXPERT
Destroy one of every building in the game useing C4 explosives only

I dunno I am just bored. )^=[/b]

yes, achievments are defently planned!
I think we may start a topic to collect some ideas on that.

QUOTE (NEFobbyGEN @ Feb 15 2009, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember those days, when WOL had about 800 and Gamespy had about 400 or 500 all at a time. Good times.

You have to remember that Renegade X is not limited to the UT3 community. In fact most of our fans are coming from the C&C community; people who either don't play much UT3 or don't have the game bought yet. We've also got a fair amount of fans in the UT 2004 community. The mod is also only getting more popular as time passes by.

Realistically we won't have as many players as Renegade originally did, but there should still be enough to enjoy the mod.[/b]

Got a ballpark estimate? D:

Even an average of 200 online could be pleasing. I realize online PC gaming has suffered since the advent of online console gaming, but would 200-300 average be realistic? That'd be enough to fill a couple 24 person AOW servers, 32 person marathon servers (ala Black-Cell server style), a few sniper servers, and maybe a co-op server like St0rm servers used to have.

Hi all, first i would like to say thx for this mood, and i have question would be in this mood some achievments or some upgrades for player, not persistant but according to player skill in the match, it would be a great if this is be in the game, i buy few weeks ago lord of the ring conquest but i expect moor then kiling enemy for nothing, ther arent acievments, upgrades or some things to put me to this game for longest time. I know you sey this mod will be similar to Renegade, but fps game passed long way and if you add this thing in game i think you put some new players to this game, that is my opinion. Thanks for answer and have a good day.

QUOTE (JirkaC @ Feb 18 2009, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all, first i would like to say thx for this mood, and i have question would be in this mood some achievments or some upgrades for player, not persistant but according to player skill in the match, it would be a great if this is be in the game, i buy few weeks ago lord of the ring conquest but i expect moor then kiling enemy for nothing, ther arent acievments, upgrades or some things to put me to this game for longest time. I know you sey this mod will be similar to Renegade, but fps game passed long way and if you add this thing in game i think you put some new players to this game, that is my opinion. Thanks for answer and have a good day.[/b]

If you had taken your time to read 3 posts back (although it could have been in between the other 18 pages), you would have read the answer yourself ;) .

They just said they are planning achievements, and they might open a thread to gather idea's for what kind of achievements that would be.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

QUOTE (Techno @ Feb 18 2009, 05:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Got a ballpark estimate? D:

Even an average of 200 online could be pleasing. I realize online PC gaming has suffered since the advent of online console gaming, but would 200-300 average be realistic? That'd be enough to fill a couple 24 person AOW servers, 32 person marathon servers (ala Black-Cell server style), a few sniper servers, and maybe a co-op server like St0rm servers used to have.[/b]

I would be happy with 30-40 players, all on one server :P
but ofc there will be at least 100. Just get some more people on renegade to hear about his before it comes out and you could get past 200. More then enough to play the mod.

Ban4life

I've seen the movies, and I have a question when seeing how the vehicles died.

It's nice to watch those wrecks, you really have the feeling they are destroyed and a job well done. But in Unreal 3 the wrecks stay for a short while, and they block your path during that.

How will that go in renegade-x? I know, I know, you are trying to keep it as close as possible to the original renegade + a few upgrades to gameplay. But if those wrecks would block you, then even if they remain for only a few seconds they could create incredible difficulties.

simply blocking someone with an APC, just drive against their front, shoot them till it is destroyed and 'BOINK' you got a few of the occupants dead. That would be impossible when the wreck became solid.

Whats more likely to be a great gameplay changing factor, is that during a massive rush, it's hard enough to get into the enemies base, if you also have to zigzag through the wrecks of your destroyed friends (damn noobs ;) ), let alone the wrecks of enemy tanks that blocked off the entrance to the base itself, it becomes nearly impossible to do a good rush.

More funny things that could happen: Destroy an orca and see it crash into some enemies below. I wouldn't mind if wrecks stopped infantry (or even were allowed to crush them, see the rather beautifull explosion of one of the stanks in the first trailer).

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.

QUOTE (epicelite @ Feb 26 2009, 06:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Will the NOD Turret be more useful then it is? I mean it only shoots at GDI when it FEELS like it.[/b]

They already changed both the animation to make it look harder, as some other properties to make it more usefull (I don't know which properties, speed, damage or whatever)