IGN interviews Renegade X

[NE]Fobby[GEN]

• Totem Arts Staff

The Strange Case of the Amateur Video Game Remake

Meet the fans who dedicate themselves to remaking old games for fun.

Bilal Bakri is the project lead on Renegade X, a remake of Command and Conquer: Renegade using Unreal Engine 3. The original Renegade received mixed reviews on release. Scheduled to debut around 2000, it ended up being delayed until 2002, by which time both the visuals and netcode were outdated. “You also have to remember that during 2002 a lot of people had slow internet, so a lot of people just played the singleplayer and kind of discarded the game afterwards,” says Bakri.

Bakri believed that underneath the clunky exterior was a fantastic multiplayer game which had been missed by its original audience, and became heavily involved in the Renegade modding community, working on mods that aimed to improve and expand the Renegade experience. “The multiplayer was one of the first multiplayer games that actually introduced a wide variety of vehicles as well as flying vehicles, and it came with ten maps, and most teams were dynamic yet balanced at the same time.”

Read the full article here: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/04/03/the-strange-case-of-the-amateur-video-game-remake

• 4 weeks later...
Renegade does indeed have a completely genius online mode which is extremely underrated, not to mention almost completely unknown for the general game audience.

remembers me of a 5-6 hour match on Glacier_Flying with the AGT + PP Vs. Ob. + PP. it still suprises me how creative people can get when they are in a situation like this... i bet the average CoD player would've ragequit after a few minutes :P