Renegade X: Black Dawn - Download Now!

[NE]Fobby[GEN]

An AI that can intelligently flank you and go from cover to cover doesn't really match the style of Renegade and is more scripting and animating than we can reasonably expect from a team that's working for free. If they were going to include better AI, I don't think we'd be playing this game as early as 2012.

The good:

-Sprinting!

-The texture and model work on almost anything is fantastic. The graphics in general are wonderful and it's obvious how much time and effort has been put into this.

-New HUD is great

-Morph targets for vehicles!

-Congrats on porting this to UDK and making it available for free!

The bad:

-In the main menu, the cloud texture for planet earth is far too low resolution and pixelated. The earth surface texture is barely passable in terms of resolution.

-Nod gun emplacement muzzleflash and flamethrower particle effects need some work. In general, muzzleflashes shouldn't look so much like tiny vehicle explosions.

-In full screen mode, alt-tabbing makes the terrain section that you are currently standing on not render.

-SAM site explosion camera animation plays even when you are pretty far away from the explosion and not facing it.

-Dialogue is a very painful mixture of bad voice acting and inserting random Havoc sayings that didn't seem to fit well. McFarland's accent is so over the top it makes me cringe (if it's being voiced by someone speaking naturally, I apologize!).

-The lower LOD for fire particle effects are too low and the individual fire "puffs" are too apparent.

-Ferns are way over-used and sometimes over 8 feet tall. The "swaying in the wind" effect for the fern's leaves looks really strange.

-Dying can cause the HUD to disappear once you reload

-McFarland's beard is the most disgusting pube-beard I've ever seen.

-Bullets and particle effects have too much glow/emissive. Did GDI and Nod decide to make bullets out of glowsticks? Keep the effect but just make it more subtle. Reserve using that much glow for laser weaponry.

-"Dust cloud" particle effects for tank treads only work when making hard turns (on purpose?)

-5 seconds to get back onto the battlefield is not enough time sometimes. Especially with the Mammoth Tank.

-GDI gun emplacement firing sound changes every 100 rounds or so. It keeps using a more metallic sound and then switching to a different one. Not to be confused with simply using two sounds randomly within a sound cue.

-Game needs more optimization in general. In some of the larger battle scenes it felt like my fps was struggling to stay above 30. I get around 50 fps in Battlefield3.

I had a fair bit of fun despite rage quitting a couple times. Ultimately though, this was time that would have been better spent on multiplayer since the replay-ability of the SP isn't so great. Was there even a large demand for a SP campaign or was this something you guys wanted to do?

Despite its various shortcomings, on the whole this project is and continues to be very impressive for an indie team. Bring on the multiplayer! :)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SP was basically the "test=case" to get most of the game data from UT3 to UDK standards. Now that a bulk of the UDK framework is present, we can tack on more art (maps/buildings/etc) and more code functionality (buying stuff/way stuff spawns/mp specific code/etc) to then fill out the MP so to speak.

On one hand, I quickly noticed the AI and wished I even took the extra time early to address and improve on this.

On the other hand....we just wanted to recreated the original Renegade's AI :P

Ah I see, makes sense. Well in that case the AI is perfect :P

I forgot one more bullet point for "the bad" (Jesus, I'm being so judgmental while I sit back and do nothing, huh?):

-Unless you can get the mammoth antennae to sway back and forth naturally with the tank's movement like in UT3 or Battlefield3, I'd just remove them completely.

-Game needs more optimization in general. In some of the larger battle scenes it felt like my fps was struggling to stay above 30. I get around 50 fps in Battlefield3.

Says more something about your PC, I had no problem with it...

The only 2 things I did not like was:

-C4 not as weapon, but only as some kind of "Press E" object. C4 has to a weapon, because it is an awesome weapon.

-The rolling with a minigun. The minigun has to charge before you can fire with it, which is pretty nice done, but when you on accident press roll (what happens a lot), you had to charge again, this is a bit annoying, its better to make it impossible to roll with the minigun.

Just a quick drop to tell I loved playing this game and the people complaining are just not used to this gameplay style as it's different from games that lacked any difference either over the past years. It's more of the Quake/UT formula anyway and has little to do with any games published after westwood was disbanded. If you're missing that link as a new player, sorry the game isn't for you but don't complain it is a different style than you're used to. It's a "shoot, reload and kill or you'll die" - game and I loved it ;)

I loved Renegade and I think this team has made a very nice touch on it with Renegade X. It has its few bugs, but I know games you have to pay for that have more. Making the game have advanced AI/true cover based shooting wouldn't make sense as it would not fit the C&C gameplay, that would be more for something like company of heroes.

heh

Pr0eX, i think you didn't play any other singleplayer shooter

because if you did, you probably wouldn't think that this game is amazing =)

i believe that MULTIPLAYER of this game can be good but now i just see that AI is amazing stupid

and btw, why enemy vehicles can't kill me? they're shooting but it has no impact on me...

Some perspective wouldn't hurt.

Keep in mind that this team isn't backed by some million dollar studio with 200 employees working on it full-time.

It's all done by people doing it for free, aspiring game makers, hobbyists and so on.

So yeah, it's going to have flaws. But in my opinion, most of them were minor. I actually enjoyed the game alot.

My only major gripe were the cutscenes. It sounded like a bunch of one-liners stiched together to form a sentence, which was really awkward lol. The animations of the characters could use some improvement too.

• Totem Arts Staff
You might want to rethink yours instead - it may be free, but that doesn't mean it's immune from criticism. Just look at anything I've ever made. ;-)

/by the way, congratulations on getting the preview campaign done

//hoping to see it sometime soon, these download speeds are atrocious

Thanks for your support.

pBjml.jpg

h0Lkg.jpg

Actually, I could provide some of the physics calculations for the bullet travel and speed etc, I have to do that in college anyways. But I have no idea how those are normally used in the game.

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.

The engine provides functions that does that, but thanks for your offer.

Fobby[GEN]]

h0Lkg.jpg

I lol'd

How does one obtain an "Invitation" to Demonoid? It seems that registration is closed unless you are invited. The other sites are taking a LONG time to D/L the file and last time I tried it my file was corrupted, which was a bit of a pain. Right now I have some 4 hours to go to finishe my current D/L

I cant seem to get this installed. I downloaded the Pirate Bay torrent twice now but keep getting the same thing. I click the install file and get nothing like it froze. I'm running Vist 64bit and have all the other requirements I believe, I've tried running it as admin, win XP compatibility, shut down firewall/antivirus..........just cant seem to figure out what the deal is.?

If anyone could help me I'd be much appreciative......really impatient to play

Here's the same review I just wrote on the DB site, with a 4/10:

Played through half of the campaign and suffered through two system lockups which required restarting my system via the power button. Graphics were pretty decent. Comparable to games from 2008-2009, but the overall (lack of) brightness makes it difficult to discern any details in their work.

AI was pretty terrible. Was difficult to see who and what was attacking you and where it was coming from.

On a technical aspect, the foliage looked good. The voice acting was pretty sub-par - didn't sound anywhere close to the level of professionalism that was in the Renegade voice clips. You can easily hear the difference when they're played side to side. It wasn't terrible, but definitely needed some work. Nowhere near as clear and crisp as the original audio from Renegade.

Here's hoping the MP release will be better. Good try, but needs a lot of improvement - specifically in the stability area. Would love to continue playing past the sixth mission if I wasn't worried about system lockups being a continual problem.

---

The stability is really killing this for me. I had no problems running it, no slowdowns or anything. Just random system lockups which I have to admit were really frustrating. If you can fix the stability problems I'd easily give it a 6/10.

I did enjoy this very much. But I think that some people are being overly critical (such as that one guy in one of the earlier pages) on things that aren't really important or the point of the release.

Renegade X is a multiplayer game and it always has been. Black Dawn is merely a stepping stone to help thrust the devs into the UDK while at the same time giving the fans something to do. That's why I don't really think its fair to criticize things that aren't necessary for the final product. For example, the voice acting. Of course it won't be on par with the acting done by professionals in other games because they aren't professional actors! They could have just had text instead of actual voice overs and it really wouldn't have made a difference in my opinion of the game itself.

Now, don't take that as me being anti-critical of their work. I'm not trying to appease them for the sake of showing gratitude or anything. I'm merely only grading the work here that is required for the multiplayer release. If they intended to make a full fledged single player campaign out of Renegade X then I'd be much more critical about things in BD but since that isn't the case, there isn't any point in criticizing their work on things that aren't going to be seeing the light of day. It would just be a waste of my time, their time and the time of who ever reads my complaints.

And yes, before anyone says "Well if they are going to do something, they should make sure to do it right!" I would agree with that. But the thing is, I think they did do it right. They put everything they had into it and it really does show. For a team of people who are making a multiplayer indy game, they managed to pull of a pretty decent little single player adventure. And that's more than anyone can really ask for.

I posted a review of one star because of the sheer amount of time it's taking to download over high speed internet. I will post an in-depth review when I have the copy downloaded. My apologies if that causes any distress.

Are you honestly judging a free game (that managed to get over 10gbit of mirrors, getting downloaded so much that their servers didn't end up handling it, because none expected that many downloads on the first day) by the speed of your download? Surely we all have an entire datacenter to spare...

Maybe trolling afterall.

"free game" is not a shield from criticism. If you're not interested in having people discuss the work that your team is doing, or you wish only positive responses, then please say so. I found quite a bit of great things in the short amount of time I got to play - but I also ran into a lot of problems. I suspect you ignored my last post.

If you're not interested in having people discuss the work that your team is doing

We are talking about the 1/10 for the bandwidth, not the content. I'm not judging your 4/10, which is based on your experience of the game's content. The 1/10 is entirely unrelated to the content.

The 1/10 is entirely related to either poor planning or poor decision making leading up to the release - take your pick. I am not the only one who is not thrilled with long download times. I imagine it's a major turnoff for a lot of people who would otherwise be thrilled to have a chance to play something new!

I thought that Black Dawn was supposed to be something like a beta for the game, which showed off many of the game's qualities. Since it is some kind of beta, you have to expect errors and a sup-par game. I would say that any criticism, if supplied well, could result in better performance for the actual full-fledged multiplayer. You can now play around with the game's functions, work out how the weapons work. You could also view it as a safe practise zone for new players, who can see how the weapons and game work before they jump in the multiplayer.

although I haven't downloaded anything since my computer would then just give up and cry in a corner, I do think aircraft killer makes a point. Although a ton of download links and mirrors were provided, if the download has to suffer from the amount of downloads then something is wrong.

On the other hand, this is still a free game, where the servers providing the download should provide it for (almost) free. During the download process, I saw the team add more and more mirrors the moment people started complaining about the low download speeds. Considering that, they did a good job, not a tremendous one, but good enough.

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.

• Totem Arts Staff

lol MPF had a massive traffic load too and im sure other servers did ... it you was unhappy with the download speeds you should of used torrent (contrary to popular belief torrent is not illegal) as its a much faster and economical way of downloading large files

i loved playing the game but as i beta tested it so many times to find the vast majority of bugs i got board with playing it :( (this is not just BD, i only play a SP game once)

for people that complain that the game is bugged to hell :

the Game has been debugged and debugged some more and then some more again ... most of the bugs that people are encountering are directly related to the UDK not the game itself and as such the team can not fix them :(

top job, i loved the final game and you put some nice new stuff in i didn't see from the betas and RC big thumbs up

Just finished the game... And I applaud you guys for what you have accomplished.

Ofcourse there were things I didn't like but that is only the engine to blame and not you guys.

In the beginning the game felt a bit clunky/heavy and I couldn't see the difference between sprinting and running but even so, you guys had me kill people with a rocket launcher so I won't complain. (Although I was aiming Renegade style, which doesn't really work in this engine)

I really think you should be proud of yourselves. You've managed to produce a game I, and I think many people with me, enjoyed a lot. The combat felt great and I think the voice acting was done very nice, although the script sometimes felt a bit dull... But at the end of those conversations you would throw in a joke bringing the smile back on my face.

Once again, THANK YOU for this experience and be proud!

I'm not really paying any heed to the reviews of Black Dawn. It sounds to me like the majority of the complaints are about AI and voice-acting...I agree. But neither of these will be in multiplayer where Renegade X is REALLY going to shine. This game will be phenomenal in multiplayer. I'm certain the devs will refine the gameplay plenty before then. Two things:

1.) HOLY FREAKING CRAP!!! The Ion Cannon animation in Black Dawn is AWESOME!!! Will it lift objects and people in the "death zone" into the air in multiplayer? That would be amazing. I'm fairly certain I would piss my pants.

2.) So GDI has the A-10 Napalm Strike as an alternate superpower in multiplayer. You guys said Nod's will be different. In light of what we saw in Black Dawn, does that mean that Nod will use the C-130 for Heavy Cannon airstrikes? That would be just like C&C Generals. I highly approve. C-130 parachute supply crates with various guns and vehicles would also be cool, but probably hard to balance.

• Totem Arts Staff

To critics, here's a post I made at CNCNZ. Take a look :)

Hey guys, thanks for giving Black Dawn a try. In this post I'll be addressing a few positive and negative reactions from the team's perpsective.

To the positive feedback, we appreciate your support and you follow our updates for more news on multiplayer soon.

As for mirrors, we launched Black Dawn with 8 mirrors and 2 torrents. We didn't think this wouldn't be enough, since we expected many more mirrors to pop up. The amount of traffic and attention forced us to take down some of the official mirrors. You can check all available mirrors here - renxgame.com/ - we've gotten more than 50,000 hits in the past couple days, so be patient as we are trying our best to make the file more available. If you're getting any technical difficulties, please visit our forums and we'll try to help you from there.

There were a few consistent negative comments that I'll talk about. First I'd like to make clear that the purpose of Black Dawn was to put out a preview of the game before the multiplayer. This is the first time Renegade X goes standalone, and thus it's the first time we make rounds on the internet outside of the C&C and UT communities, and the only real way a free game can advertise itself on big sites is through a demo release.

Renegade X is free, but that does not make it immune to constructive criticism. We are constantly looking for ways to improve the experience, and this demo release was important to that process. Though keep in mind that we do have reasonable limits. Black Dawn has its bugs, but I don't think you can find another indie high quality C&C FPS singleplayer game like us. I would however like to focus on critiques that effect Renegade X in the long term, because that is what we are after, as a multiplayer game, just as we should not judge Battlefield 3 for its singleplayer.

The main downfall of Black Dawn us was the AI. Epic released a standard AI with the UDK when it was originally released, and this is what we're using at the moment. The AI has some minimal functions and is able to follow simple directives, but we had our fingers crossed that Epic would improve AI with one of their monthly UDK releases. Our AI does not take cover, does not work as a team, and overall functions simplisticly, and to have intelligent enemies would require a few full-time AI programmers doing a year of work, and unfortunately we don't have those resources. Part of the reason why we didn't focus on AI is because on the long-term, the only AI we'll be seeing in multiplayer is the harvester, which has a simple function that the current AI should be able to handle with a few tweaks. Otherwise, most of our work on the bots was done in kismet, to at least make the campaign more enjoyable.

Something else we've heard about was the voice acting. Most of what we used came straight out of Renegade. We agree that the flow at some parts is awkward, but we thought it would still be good to re-introduce the characters before throwing them into multiplayer. Getting a new person to play Havoc for example would probably get some flak as well, so we think reusing clips from Renegade's always.dat was a better idea. Though, the fact that we were able to make a 1-2 non-remake custom campaign and still find plenty of dialogue for the game and 15 minutes of cinematics is impressive to us and took a lot of work and rummaging, even if it was lacking in some places. We probably did 30% of the voice acting ourselves, and as most of you are probably aware, we are developers and not actors. Either way, this again is not something that effects the project on a long-term, because voice acting and character development is not a big theme in multiplayer as well. This also applies to cinematics.

What we'd like to hear more of are comments about the long-term features as a whole - the HUD, the way weapons handle, the animations, the art and lighting, the vehicles, recoil, cameras, the effects, etc. And on all these fronts, we believe we're already on a much better ground than we were for multiplayer. These are all things that will effect us on the long term, and while not perfect and in need of tweaking, all of these things compared side-by-side to the UT3 version is a huge improvement.

For those who haven't finished BD, we advice you to at least play levels 7, 8, and 9 as we feel that these were the most well done smile.gif

I hope you all enjoy the campaign and keep your eyes and hearts open to the multiplayer.

Sincerely,

Fobby

Fobby[GEN]]Part of the reason why we didn't focus on AI is because on the long-term, the only AI we'll be seeing in multiplayer is the harvester, which has a simple function that the current AI should be able to handle with a few tweaks.

damn. and what if there are little players in the server?

The 1/10 is entirely related to either poor planning or poor decision making leading up to the release - take your pick. I am not the only one who is not thrilled with long download times. I imagine it's a major turnoff for a lot of people who would otherwise be thrilled to have a chance to play something new!

So, you just stare at your screen while the game is downloading? Don't you have anything else to do in the meantime?

damn. and what if there are little players in the server?

By the time the few of us with AI experience will have time to complete anything decent (after actually fixing the multiplayer itself), none will be playing it anymore anyway. Even a half-decent AI that is clever enough for a multiplayer with the rules of Renegade is really complex and the processing power of making decisions would also require a gigantic amount of resources from the server.

An AI that is capable of making a challenge for the multiplayer (and is not there to give people free kills and points, but actually plays really well) would be more lines of code than Black Dawn all together, just to get it to buy the right unit, depending on the situation. Let alone playing with the purchased unit.

Not that I'd expect the team to do so, but I'd imagine the AI could be improved by adding to the unrealscript files that govern their actions. Do people really think that, say, Mass Effect 2, had to make changes to the UDK source code just to get enemy AI to get behind cover? I think it's perfectly possible given the limitations of the engine, just not something that's necessary or in the spirit of Renegade.

Also, to add to my comment about 5 seconds not being enough time to return to the battlefield... it seems that there is also an issue with when the "get back on the map!" state gets activated/deactivated. Walk up to the border of a map where you know you'll be out of bounds soon and take a single step off the map. You'll notice that it will actually take 3 steps to get back on the map, not just 1.

-edit: I've been playing some more and it seems that the dip in framerate seems to correlate with too many smoke particles being rendered. You might want to lower the number of shader instructions for that material given how you use that particle for pretty much everything, including when bullets hit dirt.

Not that I'd expect the team to do so, but I'd imagine the AI could be improved by adding to the unrealscript files that govern their actions. Do people really think that, say, Mass Effect 2, had to make changes to the UDK source code just to get enemy AI to get behind cover? I think it's perfectly possible given the limitations of the engine, just not something that's necessary or in the spirit of Renegade.

Also, to add to my comment about 5 seconds not being enough time to return to the battlefield... it seems that there is also an issue with when the "get back on the map!" state gets activated/deactivated. Walk up to the border of a map where you know you'll be out of bounds soon and take a single step off the map. You'll notice that it will actually take 3 steps to get back on the map, not just 1.

-edit: I've been playing some more and it seems that the dip in framerate seems to correlate with too many smoke particles being rendered. You might want to lower the number of shader instructions for that material given how you use that particle for pretty much everything, including when bullets hit dirt.

Lets face it, the game is entirely done in our freetime, and that is the limiting factor, for sure we can make a decent AI or optimize it to run on lower hardware. BUT as we have very limited amount of the human resources (time) available, we need to focus on the more important game elements, like the main features. So we need to make a tradeoff, and AI for MP is as low on the list as it gets.

And if we have to decide whether or not we are going to develop forever and finally drop our freetime-project unfinished or just do it to the point where the game is enjoyable in a feasible time and then keep on adding new elements and improving the game. I think it is clear what we'll choose.

I tried running RenX for the first time yesterday and it just kept going to a black screen and then crashing. My PC runs UT3 just fine. Has anyone else had this problem? Maybe the file was corrupted and I just need to download again.

I tried running RenX for the first time yesterday and it just kept going to a black screen and then crashing. My PC runs UT3 just fine. Has anyone else had this problem? Maybe the file was corrupted and I just need to download again.
You can test whether your installer is corrupted by verifying against the good checksum. If the MD5 fingerprint of UDKInstall-RenegadeX.exe equals 2430B6F50422CBFA4C13C13A01620AAA, the installer is not corrupted and the problem lies elsewhere (you can try reinstalling the game, though). See this post for instructions: http://www.renegade-x.com/forums/showthread.php?6545-Black-dawn-issues&p=43225&viewfull=1#post43225

By the time the few of us with AI experience will have time to complete anything decent (after actually fixing the multiplayer itself), none will be playing it anymore anyway. Even a half-decent AI that is clever enough for a multiplayer with the rules of Renegade is really complex and the processing power of making decisions would also require a gigantic amount of resources from the server.

An AI that is capable of making a challenge for the multiplayer (and is not there to give people free kills and points, but actually plays really well) would be more lines of code than Black Dawn all together, just to get it to buy the right unit, depending on the situation. Let alone playing with the purchased unit.

i NEVER said i wanted to see a badass AI in the game. i just want AN AI in the game.

i hate no minimum, but an AI which knows how to crouch or something like that is just fine to me. i just don't want the game to get boring if there are little players in the server.

the C&C renegade AI? no problem! they were SO agressive (and cocky) that it actually made them look less stupid. :)

I'd rather play a 4v4 than watching people get a 600.0 kd (and 99.999 credits) cause they killed random AI bots.

Do people really think that, say, Mass Effect 2, had to make changes to the UDK source code just to get enemy AI to get behind cover?

Yes they had to.

And now I'm extremely curious on what makes you think they did not, especially since you are wrong.

Yes they had to.

And now I'm extremely curious on what makes you think they did not, especially since you are wrong.

Hostile much?

I went through most of the Mastering UnrealScript tutorial from UDN where you code fish AI, and it just seems like something that's within the scope of UnrealScript. That doesn't make me an expert by any means, but I don't see why you couldn't work out a system of defining where the cover is on a map and and making AI enter "get behind cover" animations, etc, etc.

Also do you have some sort of source for the fact that they had to edit Unreal's source to get AI to move from cover to cover?