Beta Preview

[NE]Fobby[GEN]

• Totem Arts Staff

Renegade X is a standalone Tactical FPS game for the Unreal Development Kit (UDK). It is a Command & Conquer FPS game with RTS elements. In January 2012, we released a standalone singleplayer mini-campaign. The multiplayer mode will be released in 2013!

Preview Video!

Yup, we just did an update four days ago. But it's Indie of the Year season, and it's almost Christmas, so we've saved some of the good stuff for this month. As mentioned before, Renegade X entered its internal beta phase very recently. We've been busy completing the game, but that doesn't mean we can't have some fun in between. Below is our first multiplayer trailer for the indie - all footage was shot real-time ingame.

[video=youtube;FkG_9bN--8k]

IndieDB Awards!

We need your help on this year's IndieDB.com awards. We are pursuing the "Best Released Indie Game" award this year - please help us win an award this year! Every vote counts! Tell your friends, tell your neighbors - the more exposure we get, the better for everyone!

http://www.indiedb.com/events/2012-indie-of-the-year-awards/top100

Scroll down until you see a header that says "RELEASED GAMES OF 2012". Then click "Tactical Shooter", and it will unveil a group of Tactical Shooter indies. Then, please click "VOTE" next to Renegade X. And that's it! Tell your friends!

Blog Updates!

On THIS thread, in the next 5 days, there will be 5 blog updates. These developer blogs will cover new Renegade X maps, features, and other goodies. There will be plenty of new information and screenshots, so be sure to check us out from the 14th to the 18th!

There will be MANY exciting updates on the road to release, so be sure to keep in touch with us through our website, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube!

http://www.renegade-x.com/site/http://www.renegade-x.com

https://www.facebook.com/CNCRenX?ref=ts&fref=ts

http://www.youtube.com/user/NEfobbyGEN

http://twitter.com/RenXGame

• Totem Arts Staff

Blog 1: Goldrush

As mentioned before, we will be doing five blogs in the next five days on this thread. The first two blogs will be dedicated to two original maps we've been working on. The standalone multiplayer release will feature a few remakes of C&C Renegade stock maps and a few custom maps we've designed. We wanted to design a few of our own maps to stretch our legs and refresh the gameplay.

Goldrush is one of those maps. It's being designed by Robin Nielsenwho wanted to make a level inspired by the painter

and
. The level is set at dawn, giving the map a golden glow. With a custom lens flare, a nice vista, a sparkling lake, and mist on the lake, it is an interesting map to explore.

xE9Qn.jpg

The level was inspired by an old mining facility and an Alaska-like environment, with evergreens and natural goodness. Playing Goldrush tells a story: it takes place in the U.S, where a gold mining operation was abandoned due to the uncontainable spread of Tiberium in the area. The plot of land in the centre of the level is rich with natural resources, and so Nod built a secret base in hopes to take advantage of it. The base has all of the core structures - Obelisk, Hand of Nod, Airstrip, Refinery, and Powerplant. Since it has been there for some time, the Nod base is paved and guarded by concrete walls.

d2xmI.jpg

GDI recently discovered the hidden base after tracking the rapid Tiberium growth in the area. Nod's base was established on the inlet of a bay, so it can only be accessed by the shore. To eliminate the Nod threat, GDI landed on the shore and established a forward attack post. Since the GDI base is newly established, there is more vegetation, natural barriers, and scattered equipment. There are GDI ships and hovercrafts off shore.

The map design is unique. It is larger than a Renegade stock map to take the new sprint feature into account. There is a route accessible to infantry (rather than a linear tunnel) which is conducive to commando-style play: it's got trees, foliage, and watch towers. In the middle of the map there is a field for vehicles, which includes the abandoned mining facility. The two paths are connected by a hill which infantry can pass over freely.

The map has elements of both a defense and non-defense map. There are two ways into the enemy base through the field, both of which are susceptible to enemy defenses. However, through the infantry entrance, the base can be sneaked into and a watchful player can get to two or more enemy structures.

mG3d3.jpg

Tomorrow we will be talking about another map - Lakeside.

• Totem Arts Staff

Blog 2: Lakeside

Lakeside is another original map that we have designed. Sander Vereecken has been on the team since the Unreal Tournament 3 days, and he created the Renegade X remake of Islands. The colourful midday scenery of Islands was inherited by Lakeside. The sun is high in the sky, the clouds overhead are casting shadows, and there is a nice rainbow lensflare. We wanted to make this map look halfway realistic and Renegadey at the same time.

9Qwm6.jpg

The map takes place in a mountainous environment on a lake. Nod occupied the mountains, placing several artillery batteries onto distant plains. In an attempt to sweep the area from Nod influence, GDI established a forward attack post to eliminate the Nod base defending the mountain teams. The area is also rich in Tiberium reserves. The two opposing bases are separated by a dense forest and large battlefield.

KMxFq.jpg

This level is a non-defense map, but there are basic automated defenses guarding each base. This means that the GDI base is looked after by guard towers and the Nod base is defended by turrets. Players have the ability to enter these defenses and use them; and when they are empty, they are operated by AI. There are three ways to get to the enemy base - either through an infantry-only forest, which is dense with foliage, clusters of trees, and rocks; or through the large field leading to the base entrance, or through a quick infantry-only cliff leading to the enemy refineries. The infantry forest also has a path that leads to the field. In many ways, this map recreates an old Renegade feel while supplying a new graphical overlay. Like Goldrush, it is a larger map, and we thought a narrow forest would be better than a tunnel in this setting. It is open to many strategies - from infantry rushes to Stealth Tank rushes, from sniping to covert missions, from quick attacks to raw armour and firepower. There will be capturable tech buildings on the field. Lakeside is one of our main alpha and beta testing maps, and we can't wait to play it with you all.

L3EZZ.jpg

• Totem Arts Staff

Blog 3: AI and Skirmish Mode

During the Black Dawn development phase we realized that one of the most important aspects of a singleplayer game were the NPCs (Non-Player Characters) that you fought alongside and fought against. In the first three objectives they needed to defend turrets and SAMs, in the fourth and fifth objectives they needed to use vehicles, in the sixth objective they needed to mount an assault, etc. They needed to fly helicopters, patrol areas, fight indoors and outdoors, etc. Unfortunately, the stock UDK AI had many flaws and could not fulfill all of their tasks. Some NPCs did not engage in battle or go where they needed to go. Some custom scripts were in place, but not enough to bring the AI to par.

We believed at the time that multiplayer had no need for the bots. That was until we began development of the multiplayer version on the UDK. At the very minimum, there were things like Harvesters that needed to work right. A harvester needed to go from the refinery to the Tiberium field and back, and each team depends on it, so it needs to be perfect. AI was also needed for base defenses.

One of the issues with the Unreal Tournament 3 version was the difficulty in finding players. Especially 2 or 3 years into the beta of an incomplete UT3 mod, finding people to play with was a challenge. We also have fans from different timezones and fans without adequate internet, and so we needed an offline option for them. We decided that the upcoming standalone multiplayer version of Renegade X will not only need bots, but have a Skirmish Mode available in 1.0.

t3nJR.jpg

Skirmish Mode works similar to that of an RTS game: you add as many NPCs as you like (allies and enemies) and play a match with them. The new AI is intelligent enough to purchase weapons and vehicles depending on the amount of credits they have and the changing circumstances of the game. They coordinate organized attacks, and they put up a tough defense. They focus on attacking enemy structures and repairing friendly buildings and vehicles. AI don't just buy a random vehicle or the most expensive vehicles: they buy vehicles that fit the scenario they are in. They also get a variety of infantry and perform quite well. They utilize the new infantry dodging system better than most human players do! Overall, they're fun to play with. We'll be improving them in the next few months. If you had seen our

, all the footage comes from skirmish mode, and all other players are bots. Did you notice?

iSqoi.jpg

There are three types of teams: Turtler, Balanced, and Rusher. A turtler team will focus on defending its base. A balanced team will have a roughly equal number of attackers and defenders. A rusher team will have mostly attackers.

LoThV.jpg

AI allows us to test balance, performance, and gameplay in ways that were not available to us before. It's easy to launch Renegade X on your own and play a skirmish game. Likewise, AI will also be available for multiplayer. If an admin would like to add NPCs to his server, or balance the teams by playing a couple extra bots, he can do so. Bots will always be different from regular players, and there will still be the occasional derp moment, but they will be a close second.

cUlMZ.jpg

Both maps look incredibly beautiful. Although I wonder if all the details (rocks, trees ect. ) are annoying for vehicle movement.

I'm really looking forwar to playing versus bot. I really missed that feature in the original renegade.

one question: Will all of the original maps be included in the Renegade X release?

Wow, the maps are awesome! As a resident of the Pacific Time Zone I am VERY happy about the inclusion of AI Bots as there are not many people online by the time I get online as I usually come on later than most. I play on a lot of the "old Renegade" sites and even they are a bit sparse.

Oh man, this has me so psyched. Being a game design major, makes me want to have my entire class go and try this out when it's out. I've been keeping the game development club (who has worked in UDK) from my last college up to date on this mod as well (some of them have played Black Dawn and liked it). We're gonna be using the multiplayer for our weekly game nights when it comes out! :D

Godspeed, Renegade X team! :cool:

• Totem Arts Staff

Blog 4: Infantry Combat

Renegade came out in 2002, and it was Westwood's first and last C&C FPS game. For infantry movement, they got a very basic system ingame: a player can run, walk, and crouch. It was an arcadey style that did not require anything over the top, because Renegade is not meant to be a realistic or difficult game to play. Not many FPS games at the time went far beyond this. Halo for example, which was out by the time of Renegade's demo, had similar controls.

Here we are in 2012. Big FPS titles have introduced new gameplay features into the mix: iron sights, prone, sprinting, weapon heat-ups, recoil, grenades, melee, and more. So how do we respond to this, as a modern remake of a classic? We want to modernize our game, but not without ruining the balance. Infantry can't be too hard to play, nor can they be too effective.

In the Unreal Tournament 3 beta version of Renegade X, we kept true to the original Renegade as much as possible. But if a remake is going to be a clone, then someone can play the original and get the same experience. The 'X' in Renegade X implies that we are going above and beyond in all ways we can. Visually, for example, our levels are more detailed with static meshes and lighting. In terms of audio, the engine is built in a way where sounds are varied and not repetitive (example: 12 pistol shots won't all sound identical, they will vary slightly in pitch etc). We're not using the original Renegade art or sounds for the most part, we believe we're making something better.

The same applies to gameplay. With the direction modern FPS games are going, we believe that Renegade X needed to adapt while retaining its fast paced fluid style. Changes in infantry gameplay also allows us to be more creative with map designs. The key is to add things that add to the gameplay and not take away from it. Anything added must have counterbalancing pros and cons.

A major inspiration for the new infantry combat changes comes straight from Renegade. Check out the original CG trailer:

The commando is seen with nightvision, avoiding lights, vaulting over barriers, rolling and dodging, throwing grenades, sprinting, etc. These are all things that didn't make it into the game, but it was clearly something the developers wanted or considered. In the always.dat folder, you'll find that Westwood kept the rolls available for modders, and they were re-implemented by the Sole Survivor mod for C&C Renegade. We wanted our game to play a lot like what was seen in the video, except perhaps for the dual wielding and a couple other things.

Below are some features we've implemented:

1. Sprinting: Players can now sprint by holding shift. This allows them to cover longer distances in shorter times. Sprinting is based on the stress metre, and therefore you cannot sprint forever. It works well when trying to put C4s on enemy targets or retreating from the battlefield. The disadvantage is that you cannot use your weapon while sprinting. When your stress metre is empty, you can no longer do some other moves.

2. Dodging: A dodge can be done by double tapping in any direction. It takes a portion of your sprint metre, and it allows players to dodge incoming fire and do a roll. We found that dodging feels very badass - there's nothing like nuking a building and leaping out the window at the last second.

3. Recoil: A level of recoil was added to the game, and this feels like you're actually wielding a weapon rather than just holding down the fire button. It immerses players into the game more, and allows them to learn how to use each weapon, rather than limiting all weapons to just point and click. Weapon Spread is not massive, and recoil is not as big as it is in some realistic games. It's still Renegade, it's still arcadey, just a little more interesting.

4. Nightvision: In the original Renegade, there was only a green overlay on top of scopes, which many people got rid of with texture replacements. In the UT3 version of RenX, there was only a clear scope. In the standalone Renegade X, nightvision is toggleable. It works as it should; you see players and projectiles in a night map, making scopes more useful.

5. Special Items: Instead of having only superweapons available for purchase, we're going to be putting a items menu, where players can customize their kit, purchase sidearms and sidearm replacements, airstrikes, and more.

6. Spotted System: The radio commands will still be available, but another system will be added in Renegade X. Instead of hitting ctrl, alt, ctrl-alt and a number, you'll be able to hit Q at a friendly player or structure or an enemy player or structure, and it'll initiate a general radio command. For example, hitting Q while targetting an enemy will give an audio, text, and radar indication to your allies that there is an enemy that has been spotted. This increases the teamplay in a game, but it'll be designed in a way where it's not too hard to mount a covert attack.

All that I have mentioned and more is being tested, and is subject to change if we feel that gameplay is harmed. While there are things that give infantry an extra boost (sprinting, dodging, items), there are things that players need to be mindful of (depleting stress metre, recoil, not using weapon while sprinting or dodging). We believe that the above has been executed in a way where the gameplay continuum is unharmed. Overall, we are very excited to show all of this off. It adds character to the game, and makes you feel like a 'Renegade' commando like never before. It makes the game unique from both modern FPS and other C&C FPS games.

If Stealth Black Hand dodges or sprints while stealth can he be even partially seen from more greater distance? And if SBH sprints or dodges does it take more time to get in stealth?

I think you should test spotting system with SBH's. What I mean is, it shouldn't work to BH's that are in stealth. In original renegade, if you were partially spotted but managed to outmaneuver your follower it was really satisfying. If the first possible encounter with SHB gives whole team map and voice indicator that you are there i think it might unbalance things a bit too much. I think it worked really great in original renegade that you had to choose between following the SBH or allerting team via text messaging.

Another thought about spotting. I think it should disable weapons for a breaf moment also. That way in PvP combat wouldn't be affected. Maybe after hitting q some kind of animation would happen. Player speaking to his radio phone or something similar.

Have you tested Renegade X with eyefinity? I have 3x24 inch screens and would really like them to work with Renegade X. If you need a tester I'm more that happy to help. For example in source engine there is a bug that you can see through thin obstacles (doors) if you are hugging them through your side monitor. My rig is sufficient for eyefinity (i5 3570K OC'd to 4.2 GHz and 7950 crossfire).

Other than those things that are wondering me, your remake is looking awesome. Been following you from make something unreal contest years.

GJ Renegade X team!

Dont worry, stealthed units are handeled accordingly by the spotting system. You will not be able to initiate a spotting message on a stealthed unit unless its very close to you (since if its close to you you can clearly see it even if its in stealthed state). I dont think disabling weapons when hitting the spotting key would be either necessary or realistic. And our inspiration for the spotting system really comes from renegade lan games or renegade games on TS. When youre on a lan or on radio with your teammates you would often say things like "Spotted enemy near Barracks moving towards Refinery". This simple layer of communication is something we are trying to let you do by just hitting the Q key to enhance teamplay in free for all internet games where youre typically not on radio with your teammates.

Lol can't believe I've never seen the Renegade trailer, as I've been playing that game for 8 years now. The trailer sucks anyway.

As Fobby said, many things that are in the trailer, didn't make it to the official release.

I'm glad you are importing these things in Renegade X tho, hope it'll workout in the multiplayer!

Just quickly jumping on saying that you guys are doing a superb job :) professional grade work right there.

Although I know that it takes a while (been there done that) granted its done on your own free time and its amazing what point you reached so far.

After talking to one of my friends he even made a let's play series on YouTube about black dawn, lets just say that I know a small community that would have loved getting their hands on this stand alone master piece, so keep em coming and good luck!

Also happy holidays and what not U:

Lol can't believe I've never seen the Renegade trailer, as I've been playing that game for 8 years now. The trailer sucks anyway.

As Fobby said, many things that are in the trailer, didn't make it to the official release.

I'm glad you are importing these things in Renegade X tho, hope it'll workout in the multiplayer!

lol, the trailer was badass tbh. i also remember some video's of the game in a beta stage, which actually had better graphics, and there were animations when you entered a vehicle, like jumping into a nod buggy, and more stuff like that. ;)

• Totem Arts Staff

Blog 5: Mesa

This is another map being developed by Robin Nielsen. Mesa is a remake of a stock C&C Renegade map, and it was one of the team's personal favourites. We didn't have a Mesa remake in the Unreal Tournament 3 version of the mod, so we needed to make one from scratch. Renegade X has always been interested in making levels with very different styles, themes, and environments. We had cold snowy maps and we had warm temperate maps, we had maps at different times of day, we had maps in the mountains and maps in the deserts, maps on the islands and maps in the caves. Having a large variety of environments makes the game refreshing to look at and explore.

For the standalone multiplayer, we wanted to develop a level with a very ominous feel. Dark maps look great in the UDK, especially with our nightvision scopes - many players enjoyed the visuals of Black Dawn. Overall, the original Renegade took a more jubilant art style. But we wanted an environment that reminded us of Tiberian Dawn and Tiberian Sun, which were more gritty and gloomy. Mesa is a dark, mature map that takes full advantage of the UDK's lighting systems.

Foblet02.png

Like other levels, we wanted to make a map that tells a story. Mesa is based in Iceland near an old radar grid established before the Tiberian wars. The radar domes were a part of a larger early-warning system. After the initial spread of the Tiberium contagion, GDI reconfigured the facility to scan for Tiberium activity in the area. The sensors peaked and were detecting strange patterns in Tiberium growth in the area. A GDI task force established a forward operating base to investigate this irregularity. Geological upheavals have uncovered a mutated form of Tiberium underneath the surface, which was discovered near the radar base.

Foblet03.png

a>

This rare "blue" Tiberium is more dangerous than the ordinary green crystals, but it may contain minerals that make it more valuable. A Nod operative leaked the information to local Nod cells in the area. Those groups then established a base to take on GDI forces and study the anomaly. After the establishment of both bases, strange weatherstorm activities were experienced in the area. External communications have been cut off due to the storm, and both GDI and Nod are racing to find out what the cause of the disturbance is.

Foblet01.png

We have changed one aspect of this level, and that is the harvester route. In the original, automated harvesters would stuff themselves into the tight cave, driving into friendly vehicles and pushing them into enemy fire. The harvesters were difficult to attack on foot (particularly for Nod, who would be shot by the AGT). Because of these factors, we have placed green Tiberium on the vehicle field instead. GDI and Nod troops will still be able to go and attack the enemy harvester by going to the new harvester spots. Otherwise, Mesa will play as it did in the original.... X!

• Totem Arts Staff

Yes it is in fact a radome. It's part of the sensor net described in the story and features in the map as such.

A nod to the old Red Alert games for sure. This is not the only interesting object you'll encounter in the map :rolleyes:

Yes it is in fact a radome. It's part of the sensor net described in the story and features in the map as such.

A nod to the old Red Alert games for sure. This is not the only interesting object you'll encounter in the map :rolleyes:

ah, just what i was thinking. :P

the ending of RA1 had a really strange twist, it seemed like it was canon with the Tiberium storyline after all. and another thing is, it took place BEFORE tiberian dawn. this would also kinda explain how the brotherhood of nod would grow so big, not only by tiberium. i'm still not sure which campaign is canon though... you should check it out ;p

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The Allied ending is canon for Red Alert 1. The USSR one is just a bonus, just like what Westwood did with Tiberian Dawn and Tiberian Suns Nod-endings.

And that was supposed to be a quote to xD_ERROR_xD.

ImperialKaskins, thats never how it worked out. The Nod/Soviet campaign endings in the Westwood era was ALWAYS a "What-if" ending, just to give a perspective view to the player. EAs concept with Generals (Not a real C&C, but yeah) and C&C3s campaigns as they all were to be played in a chronological order just like Blizzard does with StarCraft.

• 2 weeks later...
Quick question... Is there a Multiplayer version of this yet? and if So where is it and where can I play it.. I want to play it ASAP I miss this freaking game!

Hey Dedf3ar,

The multiplayer version is in development and will be released this year. Stay up to date by checking the forums every now and then! :)

You bet your sweet ass I will lol! I loved this game... Got blamed for cheating all the time, did the tests all the time for people to show that I wasn't cheating lol... Once the test was done I would shoot the person who accused me and then shoot the server moderator just because lol.

• 1 month later...