Contest: Level Concept Art

Titan1x77

We are looking for new concept art based on Renegade's original levels, this is intended to give the old maps a new theme or improved look. We don't want new layout ideas, just a new overall theme and look for each of Renegade's stock maps.

You may use real world photography in conjunction with a detailed drawing. Choose any way to show off how you'd imagine a classic renegade level would look like in the next gen. The winner(s) will have his/her art created in 3d for our mod.

For example: C&C_City_Flying with a run down set of apartment buildings, with alleys instead of tunnels, but the gameplay and layout of the map stays the same.

The maps below are available...

Under

Field

Mesa

Canyon

Complex

Glacier Flying

Walls Flying

City Flying

Islands

Volcano

Winners will be posted in 2 months on February 13th 08' , Post and discuss entries here!

• 2 weeks later...

In the mist of the brutal battle between GDI and Nod, in a strategically important city, Nod utalized a new strategy that they have been holding back for quite some time. In the middle of a battle for control of the middle of this city; GDI pushed forward harder then before, victory seemed almost thiers..... Until it landed. A large tiberium meteor was dropped from Nod controled supply plane. Its crashed through the local bridge and killed many a GDI soldier from its intense Tiberium radiation strewn about from impact. This one desperate act from the Brotherhood bought them enough time to regroup and repair the damages recieved to their buildings.

The initial strewn Tiberium radiation has faded. The forces of GDI and Nod are prepared to fight for this city once more. Who will you fight for?

(heh I just had to add a little story biggrin.gif)

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Tro...37/100_0345.jpg

Nice nice

as soon as I read it or rather as soon as I saw the hourglass map I thought about Under. (was I hook? yes I was and still am)

Concept

Theme for the Map hum ... Base under Snowy Mountain fighting for Tiberium.

Rail Road Bridge covered in Snow, crossing over the Tiberium field. The section over the Tiberium Field was destroyed, devastated by a piece of the Tiberium meteoroids. Mountain Basin Shape, surrounds the Main Battle field with mountain cliff.

Bunker to house or Bunker to Watch Tower or just Bunker, hum don't know which is good.

Now I do have a question we want to keep it high tech?

From the Screen shot I can tell it's semi-futuristic, am I right or am I mistaken?

oh um .... can I make simple 3D Maps for sample?

-Sincerely

Kusutto, you can use anything you wish, 3d/2d real life photos... Just have it depict your ideas on how "under" should look.

Remember this is concept on how these classic maps would look, so far nothing is worth using as concept art. Sorry, we need amazing photos or drawings of what these maps should resemble.

Color them, pencil sketches are nice to start a map from, but not to model around.

This could of been a Red alert concept map or something...we could model the buildings and bridge to match the art work.

Chromehounds_29_500.jpg

In this example, we could use the jungle theme for maybe a map like under?

uncharted_concept_20.jpg

and this one we could use the theme of dead dinosaurs and huts on a map like field.

4tr1v2s.jpg

Finally there is a ton of real world photography we can use as a theme for our levels, for example, this could represent a look for canyon

1484554139_2ef4d5395a_d.jpg

or city flying with an middle east feel to it

274495638_c9754cb960_o_d.jpg

So you dont have to be an artist to make something that suits your imagination of what you think a classic map should look like, make a collage of photos or draw or block out something in 3d, it doesnt matter how, just have something that catches the eye.

Also, gameplay must stay as close as possible, example, city flying will still have the same paths and large bridge, but it could be more room inside the tunnels or the bridge could be damaged or have ice hanging from it as if it's winter.

Hope I'm clear on what we like to see with this contest.

• Former Developers

Titan would know the exact details. But I think its okay, as long as the layout is relatively intact. Changing the climate i believe is just the matter of personal theme preferences. So if you really want to go ahead and try it, than go for it.

Personally I am very interested to see under, and what you guys would do with that map. It was the demo map, and i still remember dling the demo and trying it online for the first time. It has a special meaning to myself, and a lot of renegade players.

btw, kusutto, the maps in Ren werent at all very high tech or futuristic at all. They were just missing the realism because each map was very symmetrical. I am also very interested in your idea of under. Looking forward to it! 8)

Ok guys i am thinking of trying islands or field a shot. bbl in a day or so with it.

*EDIT* OK withing about ten mins this is what i am done so far for islands, looking out from nods base where the refinery sits. also please not this concept is not to Scale and is not finished, comments and ideas welcome.

http://img167.imageshack.us/my.php?image=i...snodsideka1.jpg

man this shows how much I don't know about 3Ds MAX

I seriously need to put more time in learning this software

something I whip up after New Year Countdown

R07_Under_Test_01.jpg

R07_Under_Test_01a.jpg

and I sure do not know how to make texture

been using MSPaint forever lol don't know how to use Photoshop even though I have it LOL (busy playing games and food and sleep and yeah too many games)

so bare with the crappy texture

and i definitely don't know about lighting >.<

R07_Under_test_Text01.jpg

R07_Under_Test_Text02.jpg

hum ... I guess I couldn't really make it lol

But I will keep trying

anyways it is not done

was trying out different theme ..

Stone bridge

Cliff

Towers

here is something I made(houses) with the same texture I use for the Bridge lol

lack of Texture choices

StoneHouse_01.jpg

SquarehouseFrontV.jpg

SquarehouseBackV.jpg

need some pointers

I guess I am better at making semi-futuristic things >.<

hahaha

Happy new year everyone!!

I did something today at work

I am not very good ><

but I try

Was hoping to do a jungle theme but I don't have those textures or materials

(I can't use JPEG as Texture in 3ds MAX as I use to in Gmax?)

AncientUnder01.jpg

AncientUnder02.jpg

AncientUnderBV01.jpg

I should break them all down and work them till it's not this rough

and port in the old Renegade Mod Tool to give it a try

i'm not a great artist, so i thought i would show you just some pictures like Titan1x77 did to get the idea what i mean. all the follwing pictures are availible in high resolution if you follow the link. i didn't do this pictures.

this picture might be a theme for islands or maybe even field with the waterfall at the tunnel:

01412_fallsofclyde.jpg

i'd imagine the following picture for city. i like the idea that city was once a lively region and has long been abandoned by the human and now nature is taking over again. i know it's only a landscape but imagine a city in it ^^

01406_glaciarvaleonthewaytomanteigasportugal.jpg

and if you don't like the idea of an abandoned city take this picture as an idea

01357_wanchaihongkong.jpg

and that

01324_newyorkcitybypaulobarcellosjr.jpg

an 2 ideas for the bridge in city

01330_guandutaiwan.jpg

01036_granvillebridge.jpg

the following 3 pictures are perfect for canyon or maybe even complex

01342_zion.jpg

01339_monumentvalley.jpg

01336_exityosemite.jpg

an idea for rocks in mesa

01164_skyline.jpg

yeah i like the idea about meteor too, but why not let it crash into one of the houses in city. That would look kinda cool :shock:

[Offtopic]

@[NE]assassin[HS] - i'm not sure i've seen you but godofmars somehow sounds familiar. No offence mate, but i'm not sure whether i saw you ;-)

DFC broke apart and i wear the tag for nostalgic reasons. I play from time to time in Ekt's server, so we might see us there :-)

Anyway i wanted you (the whole Renegade 2007 team) to know that i fully support what you are doing here. A great resurrection of a great game. Keep up the good work

[/Offtopic]

• 2 months later...

eh, whatever. despite being a whole lot overdue, and even if you guys already mapped Walls_Flying, i'll post my idea for Walls_Flying here.

The map takes place at the border of GDI and Nod territory, where both sides have erected concrete walls and static defenses spanning the entire length of the border line, almost parallel to each other, to secure their borders. The map is a border crossing point, where, in the past, certain people could go from one territory to another. (hence the large gates) The large mesa between the bases would be just a regular mesa, except a small village was built onto it (like one of those places where doors, windows, and stairs are built into the stone.) these remnants of buildings are seen on the side cliffs as well, but those stairs and buildings are very squished into the cliffside, so heli pilots can't land there. The narrow strip of land between the two border walls have been extensively shelled by Nod with tiberium, hence the small Tiberium fields used by both bases.

wallsconceptpq2.jpg

QUOTE (Combine 108 @ Mar 23 2008, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
eh, whatever. despite being a whole lot overdue, and even if you guys already mapped Walls_Flying, i'll post my idea for Walls_Flying here.

The map takes place at the border of GDI and Nod territory, where both sides have erected concrete walls and static defenses spanning the entire length of the border line, almost parallel to each other, to secure their borders. The map is a border crossing point, where, in the past, certain people could go from one territory to another. (hence the large gates) The large mesa between the bases would be just a regular mesa, except a small village was built onto it (like one of those places where doors, windows, and stairs are built into the stone.) these remnants of buildings are seen on the side cliffs as well, but those stairs and buildings are very squished into the cliffside, so heli pilots can't land there. The narrow strip of land between the two border walls have been extensively shelled by Nod with tiberium, hence the small Tiberium fields used by both bases.

wallsconceptpq2.jpg[/b]

very interesting my friend, i think we should consider some of these ideas

This topic never really got on track on what we set to do, thought I made it clear we wanted the gameplay to be very close to Renegade's orginal maps...change of theme and atmoshpere was what we wanted to see, maybe some small gameplay changes.

I'll review all entries that are valid and discuss them with the team...

This contest is back open for 2 more weeks... so get them in before APRIL 7th.

exclude walls flying, hourglass, and field.

Kusutto, I really like that house you made. Looks excellent! It reminds me of something I'd see in Fable, or another medieval RPG. Or maybe just something from a third world country.

Btw, new poster here. I've been browsing these forums forever, but until now it wouldn't let me use the forums if I was logged in. Glad it works now! :D