hmm...hosting?

Trigasnip

As a long time rene player, I thought i'de menchone the note of "Hosting".

Hosting $70 players in a rene server is pretty standerd, and can be done with a modern game-oriented server. However, the same cant be said for hosting a game in UT3.

UT3 has some powerfull hosting options, but takes up WAY more CPU on the server-side than rene did.

will we be seeing 70 man servers? or lame 7 on 7?

• Totem Arts Staff

I don't think 7v7's were lame, in fact in a clan war, games with that size were extremely intense with everyone working together.

Our mod will be able to cope with a lot of players, not sure about 70 player servers, but I dont think 40 player server and such will be a problem for us.

The problem with big games in the original Renegade is, I usually join Renegade when I am with some friends. It's hard to do some major damage with 3 or 4 good-teamworkers in a large server - but since Renegade 2007 will have voice communication, I'm expecting some pretty good teamwork to come out of it.

I'm pretty sure player limit is capped to 32 in Unreal 3 as it was in ut2004. Hard coded.

As for server process, I can't tell you till we get a patch that enables Win 2003 64 OS's to run it. Beta didn't seem too bad and it wasn't optimized - but yes, it is far more demanding.

http://www.gameservers.com seem like the best value I've seen so far, my UT3 clan has their server with them

I'm personally not bothered about having games of Renegade larger than 16v16 - the more players there are, the less you as an individual can have an impact on the end result of the game. More players isn't always better. Far from it, infact!

Originally posted by Saga

I'm pretty sure player limit is capped to 32 in Unreal 3 as it was in ut2004. Hard coded.

As for server process, I can't tell you till we get a patch that enables Win 2003 64 OS's to run it. Beta didn't seem too bad and it wasn't optimized - but yes, it is far more demanding.

Yes i am waiting for an x64 patch as well to find out what sort of resources it drains. How demanding was a dedicated beta server? might give us some rough ideas of what to expect.

We have been able to fix some of the things epic still has not fixed, such as map redirect, patch for server etc. However, there is still so much that needs done and only the official patch from epic will make things correct.

Tsumetai has made his first UT 3 map based on Mario. From what i've seen from screen shots (I don't have the game yet) and what some of our community UT guys who are patched have stated custom maps can look beautiful.

Due to the need for everyone needing the workaround (both client and server) server has not been full enough to effectively evaluate demand.

Hope this sheds a bit of light.

Saga