Planning board idea..

R315r4z0r

..is this at all possible to make:

You know how in renegade, when you are trying to tell your team a complex plan you thought up of, but just can't do to not being able to show them what you mean? Well is it possible to make a menu that has a Top down image of the map, and have editing, drawing and stamping abilities put on it. Then be able to upload it to either a central spot on the host server for everyone to view, or to each player individually?

For example, say your playing on under, your on Nod. Lets say that GDI has Mammoths by the front of their end of the tiberium field. You want to have a group of light tanks attack the mammoths from the back, then lure them up the hill, while in the mean time another group of stealth tanks sneak behind the mammoth tanks to attack the AGT.

Explaining a plan like that in the chat can get long-winded, tiresome and annoying. So if there was this planning board you could simply Drag and drop some light tanks onto the hill and put some stealth tanks in the tiberium field. Then make an attack arrow from the light tanks to the mammoths, then a move arrow back from the mammoths up the hill, then a move arrow from the stealth tanks to behind the mammoths and onward into the base.

Setting up a drawing like that (with already made tank and arrow "stamps") would be much quicker and easier than saying the plan out and then answering all the confusion. It would probably take no longer than 20-30 seconds to draw out such a plan. Where as it would probably take 30-60 seconds to explain it and then answer the questions about it.

But beyond the point of conveniences, is this possible to make?

• Totem Arts Staff

It sounds cool.

Only problems I see are...

#1. There's barely any instances where you have enough people in the same place that can carry out a demonstration for a massive plan. You just doesn't happen to have a handful of people able to stay around this board unfortunately.. people are too busy doing other things (defending, repairing, etc)

#2. Communication won't be very hard in Renegade 2007, with a built in voice comm. It might be better, because you'll have the whole team listening and playing at the same time, as you speak.

What we could do however, is put a map of the level accessible by pressing a button. (like Q)

Of course when planning a plan now in Renegade you still need to take into consideration base repairers and the lot. This idea is more of a suggestion rather than we MUST do what I draw! >_<

And I understand that there is a voice chat feature, which would make communication much easier. Except for the fact that not everyone has a mic or headset.

I like the idea of a telestrator, where pressing Q would bring up the map and anyone could then press a draw button and it would dynamicly show the rest of your team if they press Q aswell.

not everyone needs a mic, aslong as they have speakers, then a plan can be heard.

something like this would be a big plus tho, Great idea!...we will try our best to fit this or something close to it into the release.

Also, I would like to implement a warm up timer, where a plan could be discussed for 1-2 mins as how you want to start the map off....this is something I always wanted in renegade....the begining of each map was very important (apc base rush, harvy rushes..etc)

• Totem Arts Staff

Now that's a great idea, Titan. A minute before the game, just discussing strategies. For the clan warriors like myself, that'd be a good gift, cause indeed the beginning of the game is the most important part.

Also yeah, it'd be cool if we had a "press Q" feature, which brings up the drawing map.

Originally posted by Titan1x77

not everyone needs a mic, aslong as they have speakers, then a plan can be heard.

The point of the telestrator (Thank you for thinking of the word that failed to come to my mind) is to SHOW your plans. So being able to listen to a plan is different then wanting to communicate it.

You have speakers to hear the plan. You use the mic to explain it. You have no mic, you can't explain the plan. wink.gif

But I am happy you like my idea biggrin.gif