my first wip

Jamie T

My advice for learning GMax / 3D Studio Max is to start small, but don't create random objects, instead try and mould the mesh into something simple to create and appealing to the eye.

By the looks of the image above you're familiar with vert movement, and polygon extrusion as well as the obvious basic mesh movement. Try and model something like this (7.62 Nato Round) :

762bullet.jpg

Are you familiar with Planar modelling?

That could be 3 different objects, just slapped together...if thats the case i dont think he has really extruded, or gone in depth yet.

He could of just scaled the pink box's top poly or bottom

Mick's giving you good advice, get into extruding, and moulding your mesh by its verts, in any axis.

Being a terrain artist I mould alot, its almost like a big block of clay where i can shape it anyway i want.

Originally posted by Titan

That could be 3 different objects, just slapped together...if thats the case i dont think he has really extruded, or gone in depth yet.

I think you're right with that one. I forgot that a tube is a Standard Primitive.

Titan speaks the truth, extrusion is a very important aspect of modelling, and to imagine the mesh as a lump of clay that can be moulded is definitely the way forward. Just creating random objects and merging them together is inefficient and messy, but learning the more complex methods will come to you later.

One thing I will say though :

Editable Poly > Editable Mesh

Editable Poly not only has more advanced tools than the Editable Mesh variations, it also has tools extremely useful for 3D modelling that Editable Mesh does not have.