Texture Artist Needed!

JeepRubi

We are currently in dire need of texture artists! Unwrapping is a plus but NOT required. We have lots of models, unwrapped and not, that need texturing but all of our artists are either busy or working on a project.

If you think you can help out, please contact [email protected] or [email protected] using either email or MSN.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys, im russ. not sure if i am posting in the right area so move this post if im wrong

Ok. As a specialty i am texture and enviro artist. But i can also be called a 3d generalist. Modelling, lighting or light baking, rigging, etc.

Im also interested in other things like mesh optimization for disp and normal maps. Normal map creation, other forms of map baking and level editing. Which is all in the texturing dept anyway.

Cheers guys

HF GL.

hmmn. can a mod delete my last 2 post :o ops: i get error messages everytime i post... ah well.

Any way.... Whats up first? and where do i get it? how does this work... do we have ftp :twisted:

I can do the U.Vs but its not really how things are done, the uv stage is really the clean up stage where you fix normals and redundant faces etc... the modeller should clean up his / her own garbage wink.gif u dont send dirty work downstream. hehehe.

Unless you only want credit for half the model :twisted:

Ive also noticed there arent many low poly versions of meshes... what happend to LODs?

Cheers

HF GL.

if your looking to be the janitor as one of the jobs we specified in our "we want you" post, then you would be dealing with the uber high poly models such as Havocs Nod Solider, and My soon to be finished GDI MRLS, which, in a sense wont be around 2 million polys but will still be around 3-400,000 polys, I am currently unable to unwrap my models (still learning this aspect of 3ds max) So the janitorial position for models, you would be cleaning up the models and rearranging the vertices's and polys and removing the hidden or unused polys, as well as doing the unwrapping and the normal maps possibly.

To get on the team, we would first like to see some of your work if possible, if you currently do not have any work to show, we will more then likely provide a model for you to cleanup, unwrap and possibly generate a proper normal map for,

Please contact on of the following members for this.

Contacts:

Fobby - [email protected]

Titan - [email protected]

JeepRubi - [email protected]

oops.

Ive misread the post. hehehe. Thought it said texture artists wanted.

Ive already talked to fobby and sent him some of my work... so ive assumed im already on the team. Obviously not. lol.

If you havent uv mapped before id recommend unfold 3d. 3dmax sucks for uv mapping. For unfold 3d all you do is draw out the seams and it maps it for you with min distortion. I love it. Otherwise... evolve and get maya wink.gif.

Now some questions about this project:

1. if you only have the highres models what are we goin to cast the normal maps from?

2. if we are goin to texture these models.... how will we transfer the maps to the low lod meshes while maintaining texture coordinates?

3. since you will not and cannot load these massive meshes into unreal why unwrap them? :?: confused?... only the in game models need to be unwrapped. The high res is merely a reference which is used to calculate the normal map.

I know im new here. But i think there needs to be some research on how we will be creating the art assets... especially normal maps. unreal uses a programe they created for themselves which allows for complex geometry normal map creation... and i cant find it anywhere. :evil:

Our best bet is zbrush. It does it best. but we need a low resolution mesh in which the high res has been derived from.

damn thats a long post :shock:

Cheers

GL HF.

The great thing about new engines being developed such as UE3 is the fact that low poly models are used with specular and normal maps applied.

1. if you only have the high res models what are we going to cast the normal maps from? [/b]
Normal maps are made from these high poly models, then are later added on to the low poly models, along with specular and bump maps, the low poly is purely for in game, and textures for the low poly are applied, high poly are purely for the normal maps, to make the light reflections and stuff properly appear on the low poly model, making it seem like it is in much higher poly.

Examples of this are clearly shown in Gears of War, since it is using Unreal Engine 3, as you can see in the pictures below there are 2 models, 1 low poly (in game) and an high poly (used for extracting normal maps)

Low Poly (5,287 Polys) (in game model)

character_creation2.jpg

High Poly (2,000,000+ Polys) (Normal Map Extraction)

character_creation1.jpg

Ingame model with Normal map and texture applied

character_creation3.jpg

As you can see the high poly model is essential as per the look of the low poly model for lighting and increasing the aesthetics of the models in game.

2. if we are going to texture these models.... how will we transfer the maps to the low lod meshes while maintaining texture coordinates?[/b]

As I said in the above post, the only thing the High poly model is used for is the actual normal map, textures are made from the UV Unwrap of the low poly model.

3. since you will not and cannot load these massive meshes into unreal why unwrap them? Question confused?... only the in game models need to be unwrapped. The high res is merely a reference which is used to calculate the normal map.[/b]

The high poly models are used for the normal maps, as i said in my first post, its the the only purpose to the high poly currently at this time, we my or may not end up using the high poly models for cut scenes, but as of now this is a no, High poly models and low poly models must both be made so extraction of the normal map is proper and we can generate the best looking low poly models we possibly can.

if you take a look at the Nod Soldier high poly version you can see the various details in the wrinkles and folds in the clothes, these were done by Havoc89 in Mud box, a very useful program for character modeling and realistic clothing. Zbrush is mainly used for character models itself, not for maps, vehicles, etc. 3ds Max is our main tool for vehicles, buildings and map aspects such as bridges, civilian buildings etc.

all models we have excluding buildings do have high poly and low poly models, which are created one after another, High poly First, as per reference to build the low poly. After completing of the high oly Nod Soldier Havoc continued work on the low poly, and is currently working on the extraction of the normal map.

If you have any further questions on how the things I have described work, ask Titan, Havoc, Jeep, or myself for more references and more indepth looks on how they work.

(thats one long ass post tongue.gif)

Killa, please don't post things that are not accurate. First of all, we do not have high poly models for everything in the game, most weapons and vehicles's normal maps are done using photoshop and the nvidia normal map filter. As of now, only our characters have a high poly mesh, and your MRLS which could have been done in photoshop.

Ive misread the post. hehehe. Thought it said texture artists wanted. [/b]
We do need texture artists, if you can do that, it would be awesome! We need it more than model Janitors/Unwrapers.

if your looking to be the janitor as one of the jobs we specified in our "we want you" post, then you would be dealing with the uber high poly models such as Havocs Nod Solider, and My soon to be finished GDI MRLS[/b]

This is wrong, high poly models do not need to be optimized or cleaned up, they are only used once for the generation of normal maps. What we need is someone who can look at a model that has already be optimized and checked by the origional artist and ensure that nothing has been missed, every triangle counts!

i was under the impression form havoc that were makin high poly models for the vehicles for the normal maps (as why my MRLS is high poly?) but anyways we are looking for more then texture artist, as why there is a topic "we want you"

Aight i am up for the texture artist position, ive sent you an email with some of my past works.

Im not goin to post up work on this site yet, as im still deciding whether to join a mod team or not.

Jeep: ive added you to msn so we can talk more about the process, just so i can grasp some of the concepts a bit better.

Killa:.. u do not need to texture or unwrap a high res model for use with normal mapping. Other then that... ive been though all unreals making of soldier work which doesnt really tell you much about the process besides the fact that they have designed there own tool to create normal maps which combines normal map projects and normal map painting. This is something that ive been trying to get my heard around for a long ass time :evil: . Is this result possible with free to use transfer tools?

"Zbrush is mainly used for character models itself, not for maps, vehicles, etc" This is wrong... zbrush and mudbox have the same attributes... only difference is zbrush's texturing features are much more advanced. Zbrush has been in the 2.5d area a lot longer then mudbox... essentially mudbox is a clone of zbrush. But cheaper. which is good :twisted:

Can someone setup a thread explaining what normal mapping is and how it will be used for this game? I could help in terms of zbrush and maya but im not aware of the settings used in UE3.

Cheers

GL HF.

• 10 months later...

You can see the bulk of my work here, it's for sell.

http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Index.cfm...Key=Dual+Op+Amp

This is a hi-res Volkswagen beetle I made for a colleague. She wanted it to be a taxi cab.

VWprofile.jpg

I also freelance at ifreelance.com.

http://www.ifreelance.com/provider/detail....roviderid=48571

You can view more of my portfolio there.

also it seems your using max to generate your textures, we unwrap and texture the models in adobe photoshop, as all games need different maps (Diffuse, Normal, Emmisive, Specualr, etc...) which would be hard to create detailing in max.

Thanks for showing my turret texture fobby :P

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...