GDI Humvee- Edit: Humvee Redone, check it out!

[NE]Fobby[GEN]

• Totem Arts Staff

The Humvee is GDI's most basic vehicle. It is an affordable price of 350 credits, and is good at quickly scouting areas of the battlefield. r07thumbgdihumveevp3.jpg

Although the Humvee is lightly armoured, it is a very quick unit, armed with a medium machine gun. The Humvee's gun is effective against both infantry and lightly-armoured units.The model and its textures were created completely by Havoc89, topped off with a specular map, and normal map. Take a look! EDIT: The Humvee has been redone, here's the thumbnail

• 1 month later...
  • Former Developers

Thanks, much appreciated.

The orignal humvee design was a lot more simple, and a lot more compact. We (the ren07 team) had a whole discussion on the humvee, and it was a unanimous decision to change the entire design. So what I decided to do was make a humvee that is true to both the modern era, and still captures that renegade style feeling. It took me a couple of weeks to nail the actual sillouhette of the model to the point where it looked right. As always, your product almost never really looks like the orignal design, its always a moving target, and you wont really be sure what it will look like until the very end. I also talked to a lot of C&C fans and asked them about the orignal design of the humvee, and about 95% of them did not like that design, so making a new design was almost manditory. I think in the end it turned out to be quite nice.

• Totem Arts Staff

It turned out very nice Havoc.

And its true - most people will agree that the C&C Renegade Humvee design was crap. Its gun looked like crap, and the vehicle had almost no resemblence to a real Humvee. At the same time, we wanted to stick to Renegade's non-realistic, arcadey feeling, so we didn't want to actually make a real Humvee.

So this is basically our own design.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Whoa, why wasnt this posted in the internals?

Well I really dont like it at all....

Why is the top of the tire shiny?, but the rims dull?

Top of a tire should be set completely black in a spec map., maybe a light grey around the buldge to give it a more seeming depth.

also, the rest of the steel is all the same, it should be a bit more subtle with slight changes around areas that are worn, example the steel should be the brightest near the top where its the cleanest, while it should have a different stregth then the painted metal of the body...

Havoc did you use the layer of the mud to dull down those areas?

I just really dont see alot of variety in the spec map on this, looks like just a simple greyscale conversion and a tiny touch up.

• Former Developers

The reason why it looks so different is because there are over 20 different light sources in this scene (no skylights or global illumination kinds of lights). Each light has a different intensity, and colour setting. Thus because they are all spread out with just one light which is the brightest (or the main light source if you will) You will get an irregular spec intense feeling. Everything is balalnced, but because there are so many lights, it looks as if some parts in the spec map are brighter than others (the tires for instance). Dont worry titan, its fine.