A Sign of Things to Come

[NE]Fobby[GEN]

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (R315r4z0r @ May 16 2010, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is at least 14 more hours left before the day is expired.

Something will happen. I have no doubt about that. Its importance is questionable though.[/b]

Would be fun if it's an internal thing we are waiting for, like 'we finally finished our trailer for the upcomming update which is going to be in juli!' :)

• Totem Arts Staff
QUOTE ((NE)Fobby(GEN) @ May 4 2010, 12:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sentences contain these, for they are what they require
And the phrase you are about to acquire
Will incorporate 2 of these:[/b]

2 words:
I will first be frank and handy:
The first is as crepuscular as liquorish candy
Dim as the night sky of space
Dark like the ants crawling on earth's face[/b]

Black

The second is the beginning of all days
The start of all times
It is the end of all nights and circle of life
As darkness meets its sunrise[/b]

Dawn

And together this phrase
Will bring you a dangerous happiness in a new place
A new adventure, only if you can keep up the pace[/b]

Singleplayer level.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Mighty BOB! @ May 4 2010, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It can be equipped with AA weapons (I mean IRL), and even if it isn't, it's not that hard to hit a C130. :P[/b]

Holy crap, this looks amazing. I played Renegade competitively from Beta up until 2003/4... it did not look this good. This almost looks like a still from CoD4 or BFBC2 with C&C buildings.

Will this mod change the hit points mechanic and weapon damage of the original game? It was really silly, something like 50 rifle rounds to the body, or 20 to the head to kill someone, and 10 tank rounds to destroy another tank. Ahh the good old days

QUOTE (Sukhoi @ May 25 2010, 07:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Holy crap, this looks amazing. I played Renegade competitively from Beta up until 2003/4... it did not look this good. This almost looks like a still from CoD4 or BFBC2 with C&C buildings.

Will this mod change the hit points mechanic and weapon damage of the original game? It was really silly, something like 50 rifle rounds to the body, or 20 to the head to kill someone, and 10 tank rounds to destroy another tank. Ahh the good old days[/b]

It was really C&C. How can you do a proper tank rush or similiar if one artillery on field can destroy 7 tanks before they get into range? The game mechenics are build rather good, one of the best things about renegade is the fact that health is so abnormally high. It makes it harder to kill someone without damage, making getting into an enemy base hard as every fight you have, no matter how good you are, you will probably get damage. This forces people to be more stealthy, quick witted and you require in-depth knowledge of the layout of a map and the intelligence to avoid unneccecary fights.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

QUOTE (Demigan @ May 25 2010, 08:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was really C&C. How can you do a proper tank rush or similiar if one artillery on field can destroy 7 tanks before they get into range? The game mechenics are build rather good, one of the best things about renegade is the fact that health is so abnormally high. It makes it harder to kill someone without damage, making getting into an enemy base hard as every fight you have, no matter how good you are, you will probably get damage. This forces people to be more stealthy, quick witted and you require in-depth knowledge of the layout of a map and the intelligence to avoid unneccecary fights.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.[/b]

In terms of vehicle damage, i'll agree it was based on C&C:TD, but infantry damage in Renegade was not like C&C. Rifle soldiers in C&C took 3 bursts to kill another infantry unit. I realize Renegade tried to maintain the game mechanics of the RTS original, but some things don't translate as well from RTS -> FPS. In my opinion, a more realistic game mechanic would work better. I don't see how taking more damage increases the need for stealth or wit. A lot of the game was spent tank rushing the AGT or Obelisk with a couple tanks and engineers.

I guess i'm biased since I'm also a big fan of games like BF2, PlanetSide, and BFBC2 :P I just think closer to reality game mechanics translate better in FPS. One thing Renegade does is make you focus on head shots, so I give it that.

• Totem Arts Staff

Renegade is a game where you cannot always access vehicles though. If infantry died in three bursts of a rifle, or one tank shell, they wouldn't be able to balance out with vehicles. Tactical infiltration of an enemy base would be near impossible, especially when the airstrip or wf is down, and the game would revolve only around vehicles. Besides, if you really want to kill infantry quickly, head shots with a sniper will always get them in one hit.

QUOTE (Sukhoi @ May 25 2010, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't see how taking more damage increases the need for stealth or wit. A lot of the game was spent tank rushing the AGT or Obelisk with a couple tanks and engineers.[/b]

I play mostly marathon servers, and defence is a lot tighter there then in timed servers where within 45 minutes usually at least one building falls. In marathon servers, a lot of important things happen due to infantry. That single timed c4 on a tank can break the offencive a team that's been pounding buildings for hours.
What's more, in any other game with 'tactical' gamestyles like CTF or UT's onslaught/whatever they renamed it, a good player can assault a well guarded flag, and with a few well aimed shots kill several people before they get him, and shoot anyone who comes into his path quickly enough to reach the base. I know this because I did it lots of times when the real die-hard people weren't online.
That's impossible in renegade, one of the reasons is base defences, vehicles and mines. But more importantly, it's the fact that running around a base and searching for the unmined entrance is a lot more hazardous as you can't gun and run anyone down quicly enough to survive for very long. Eventually, even the worst will damage you enough to make you flee, let alone if more people fight you.
So, stealth is key for anyone, especially a hotwire who has a relatively strong pistol but not enough bullets in a clip to dispatch of people quickly enough. Should health drop however, then a tech/hotwire would be able to kill 2 people with one clip if not more, enough to keep people away from you long enough to blow something up.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.