3D Realms Shuts Down

Guest Killa

Duke Nukem Developer 3D Realms Shuts Down
Update 4: Images from 3DR's Duke Nukem Forever have started to leak.

Update 3: 3D Realms webmaster Joe Siegler has commented on the shut down, stating: "It's not a marketing thing. It's true. I have nothing further to say at this time."

Siegler's post also reflects the unexpected nature of the situation, as he was unaware of the impending shut down during an interview conducted yesterday afternoon.

Update 2: Duke Nukem Forever publisher Take-Two has confirmed to Shacknews that it was not funding ongoing development of the 3D Realms project.

"We can confirm that our relationship with 3D Realms for Duke Nukem Forever was a publishing arrangement, which did not include ongoing funds for development of the title," said Take-Two VP of communications Alan Lewis in a prepared statement.

"In addition, Take-Two continues to retain the publishing rights to Duke Nukem Forever," he added.

Update: Apogee Software and Deep Silver have issued a statement to Shacknews, confirming that the situation at 3D Realms has not affected the development of Frontline Games' upcoming handheld Duke Nukem Trilogy.

"Deep Silver and Apogee Software are not affected by the situation at 3D Realms," a representative for the companies told us. "Development on the Duke Nukem Trilogy is continuing as planned."

Original story: A very reliable source close to Duke Nukem Forever developer 3D Realms today confirmed to Shacknews that the development studio has shut down.

The closure came about as a result of funding issues, our source explained, with the shut down said to affect both 3D Realms and the recently resurrected Apogee. Employees of both entities have already been let go.

Phone calls and e-mails to various 3D Realms veterans have thus far gone unanswered, with 3D Realms publishing partner Take-Two and Apogee partner Deep Silver likewise unavailable for comment. One 3D Realms spokesperson declined to comment when reached.

3D Realms was founded in 1987 by Scott Miller and George Broussard, and was best known for its Duke Nukem series of shooters starring the titular, bubblegum-lacking hero. The studio had infamously been working on Duke Nukem Forever, the next flagship franchise entry, for over 12 years.

A final push to release Duke Nukem Forever began in 2007, marked by a short teaser starring the in-game hero that was released late that year.

As recent as January 2009, company steward George Broussard wrote on his Twitter feed that he was visiting Take-Two to show off the title.[/b]

I hope this isnt a continuing trend in the game industry.

To quote some guy on the net, and to put things in perspective:-

-EVERY Pokemon game has been made and released Stateside

-the Beatles had made their entire discography and broken up

-EVERY Sims game has been made.

-We've seen 5 Final Fantasy games, to say nothing of spin-offs.

-We've seen all Super Smash Bros. games

-3 home consoles from Nintendo

-7 Game Boy Consoles from Nintendo

-2 Playstations and a Playstation Portable

-All Xbox Consoles

-The entire Halo Franchise

-Every superhero film from X-Men to Wolverine (more than it sounds)

-Every iPod and the iPhone has gone from conception to market.

-We have seen 3 complete Presidential terms with 3 separate Presidents over 11 years

-The entire Lord of the Rings trilogy was filmed and released

-The entire prequel trilogy to Star Wars was filmed and released

-Every Silent Hill, Resident Evil, and Fatal Frame game has gone from conception to reality.

-Valve released Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Portal, Left 4 Dead, and Team Fortress 2; not to mention developing the Source Engine.

-Independent coders made Counter-Strike and Team Fortress Classic in essentially their spare time.

-We've seen a sequel to Earthbound develop on consoles 5 years apart, get released, get independently translated by a small devoted group of fans and released in English.

-The entire market lives of the Dreamcast, Neo Go Pocket Color, Gizmodo, and both N-Gages combined.

I saw this a few days back,

i loved the comment on the article: Duke Nukem FOR NEVER!

the duke copyrights no go to the company that split off from 3d realms, dont know what they will do with it though.

Utter incompetance. They deserver to have been shut down. I've seen many shitty excuses from several fanboys on other forums and none of them hold any substance.

I can't see this becoming a mainstream thing either, they were just, utterly, utterly, incompetant, whilst taking home a nice pay cheque each month.

Many sites are claiming that the latest "tech demo" was nothing more than a scripted sequence. Now we will probably never find out the truth of the matter, although I believe it may ring true.

QUOTE (maty @ May 10 2009, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To quote some guy on the net, and to put things in perspective:-
-EVERY Pokemon game has been made and released Stateside
-the Beatles had made their entire discography and broken up
-EVERY Sims game has been made.
-We've seen 5 Final Fantasy games, to say nothing of spin-offs.
-We've seen all Super Smash Bros. games
-3 home consoles from Nintendo
-7 Game Boy Consoles from Nintendo
-2 Playstations and a Playstation Portable
-All Xbox Consoles
-The entire Halo Franchise
-Every superhero film from X-Men to Wolverine (more than it sounds)
-Every iPod and the iPhone has gone from conception to market.
-We have seen 3 complete Presidential terms with 3 separate Presidents over 11 years
-The entire Lord of the Rings trilogy was filmed and released
-The entire prequel trilogy to Star Wars was filmed and released
-Every Silent Hill, Resident Evil, and Fatal Frame game has gone from conception to reality.
-Valve released Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Portal, Left 4 Dead, and Team Fortress 2; not to mention developing the Source Engine.
-Independent coders made Counter-Strike and Team Fortress Classic in essentially their spare time.
-We've seen a sequel to Earthbound develop on consoles 5 years apart, get released, get independently translated by a small devoted group of fans and released in English.
-The entire market lives of the Dreamcast, Neo Go Pocket Color, Gizmodo, and both N-Gages combined.[/b]

Two things:
-Almost all of those bullets make no sense or are just absurdly obvious observations (Like telling someone on the street what your gender is)
-What?

QUOTE (R315r4z0r @ May 19 2009, 12:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No they haven't...

The DNF team was simply fired due to incompetence. They are restaffing.
http://pc.ign.com/articles/984/984145p1.html[/b]

Thanks for the link! Was a good read, and further adds to the utter incompetance theory. Even if they are able to release anything within the near future, it's guaranteed to be reviewed with bias and hostility, myself included.

I;m expecting a game that can give me a blowjob whilst I play, after 12 years that's a very simple request.

I think that's the reason why it's been taking so long.

They would probably get a "major advancement" over game engines, then some other game would surpass it and they would have to go back to the drawing board. The team is probably very self conscious and is carrying the weight of basically having to release a good game.

• 3 months later...