Need help with texture art

spikejones

Me and my son both enjoy modding, currently I'm working on a total conversion for "C&C Generals ZH" and my son is working on a total conversion to "UT3"

We both have the same problem with trying to paint textures, we're just not very good at making them look realistic. Our tank for example looks cartoony and undetailed while "Havoc89"

for your team has created some spectacular textures that look very realistic.

Can you please give us any helpful advice. Thank you.

QUOTE (Mighty BOB! @ Apr 26 2009, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do they have noise and grunge/grime?

Solid colors look cartoony. You need to break them up.[/b]

We're using photoshop elements 6.0 to create the image, can you explain the process of adding noise, grunge and grime?

QUOTE (DXR_13KE @ Apr 27 2009, 04:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IIRC Renardin at reborn had a nice tutorial about that.....[/b]

Sounds great, a tutorial on this subject is just what I need. Can you help me with a link to the tutorial?

Hmm, I don't know if this is in Elements, but in regular PS there's Filter>Noise>Add Noise (monochromatic). Not a whole lot, and probably on its own layer blended into the texture. I don't know if Elements works with brushes either, but if you search for "photoshop grunge brushes" or dirt brushes, or grime brushes (especially on DeviantArt) you can get some brushes that can help speed up the process. Natural wear and tear happens on edges usually. Dirt builds up on lower areas (on vehicles).

Just Googling for tutorials can be a great help.

There are also places like CG Society where you can browse what other people have done and their help threads.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=14

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=14&t=129189

• 2 weeks later...