The repair gun

Jamrd

Hows it going guys?

Just wandering if anyone has had any new ideas for it, been searching about your forums (possibly not hard enough) for any rough ideas but it's the gun I run around with the most... yep I'm one of those dedicated tech's that repair the arty killin your base lol!

Just a ponder, I know how busy you lot are :-)

The main idea for the mod is to keep it the same as Renegade. So it's more likely that nothing special will be done with it.

There have been numerous ideas thrown around between people, for example making a secondary fire that damages instead of heals or having an auto-fire button so people don't have to hold the mouse down when repairing a structure. But most of the ideas were denied by the dev team. And I agree with them.

The Repairgun should work the same as it did in Renegade. Nothing new and nothing changed.

Something I would completely agree with. Watching the april update video I had the impression that it would be of the same use and style, but just wanderedd had anything been discussed about look, and feel? Take the assualt rifle for example, earlier on in the topic concerning it, your Dev team have gone to a good leangth re-creating it for the detail and gameplay style of UT3 and Renegade as a mod, so was wandering if anything had been progressed on the look and feel of the repair gun?

Don't worry if nothing had been drawn up, it's a massive project and noone expects anything to be completed in such a small amount of time especially as there is a very large array of weapons and varibales to consider.

Here's what I'm talking about anyway...

repairgunbig.jpg

I can only imagine the gun looking glorious once you guys work your magic with it, even if it does only repair things ;-)

No problem atall.

Well it would be nice to see some changes to the device, Westwood did their best but it's not the best looking gun in the game, and the effect from what I gather that is sparking from the centre is a heavily distorted personal ioncannon projectile effect, (a reneglitch you can see the repair beam go straight at times rather than electronically distorted). that's something else of interest, what effect the device in the mod might project...

Oh so many questions ^^

Keep up the fantastic work :-D

QUOTE (epicelite @ Apr 20 2009, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it should be "1 click to continually fire" so you do not need to hold down the fire button![/b]

Plus it would be far more boring for the game if that was the case....

As for the gun it's self I had a few ideas for a possible logistic of the device and features that could be considered.

• Taking from a good example in UT2004, the Link Gun, should 2 users shoot at a friendly vehicle at the same time the beam intensifies and is able to repair vehicles at double the rate, vice versa with it's killing power, this could be utilized by the new generation (or version 2) of the repair gun in your mod. As 2 users shoot 1 target, such as the master control terminal or a vehicle, the beam could be intenisified and repair at double the rate.

• Extra energy, perhaps have an option for "extra energy"? The gun inherently has 999 (maximum amount of ammo in a gun) per clip and 999 clips as it's energy based it has unlimited energy but the gun have an option to overload for a duration (say 5 second for regualr engineer, and 10 for tech/hotwire) where by it's heavily intenisified to heal at a far greater length but then needs to cool down for a similar duration as a result of the obverload, then have a master cooldown, say to be used 1 every minute so it's not over used.

• Negative effect, something like an anti-repair effect should the device be used on enemy vehicles and structures/units?

I have a few more ideas but I might be going over old ground here? :-S

QUOTE (tent0n @ Apr 20 2009, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
  • Taking from a good example in UT2004, the Link Gun, should 2 users shoot at a friendly vehicle at the same time the beam intensifies and is able to repair vehicles at double the rate, vice versa with it's killing power, this could be utilized by the new generation (or version 2) of the repair gun in your mod. As 2 users shoot 1 target, such as the master control terminal or a vehicle, the beam could be intenisified and repair at double the rate.

[/b]

It already does that in Renegade. What you're saying is two people repair at twice the speed of one person, and, well yeah Renegade already does that. :P There's just no fancy graphical effect change on the beams.

You should make the graphics for the engineer's repairgun different than that of the tech/hotwire repairgun. Maybe make the beam look stronger on the tech's gun, or maybe a brighter color?

Everyone knows that the two are different, and it is always confusing when you pick up an extra repair gun and don't know which on is the more powerful version.

QUOTE (R315r4z0r @ Apr 21 2009, 04:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You should make the graphics for the engineer's repairgun different than that of the tech/hotwire repairgun. Maybe make the beam look stronger on the tech's gun, or maybe a brighter color?

Everyone knows that the two are different, and it is always confusing when you pick up an extra repair gun and don't know which on is the more powerful version.[/b]

amen to that, i hate it in renegade when ur a techy/hotty and pick up an additional repgun u can never tell teh difference :/

QUOTE (Mighty BOB! @ Apr 21 2009, 12:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It already does that in Renegade. What you're saying is two people repair at twice the speed of one person, and, well yeah Renegade already does that. :P There's just no fancy graphical effect change on the beams.[/b]

No, I was refering to the link ability, where by 1 beam links to another to double the rate of repair, it's been the case that i've seen many engineers and techs repairing the same structure... but I sppose it was a silly suggestion as to have a double the beam rate you would need 2 people, so you may aswell have them seperate, and that's something Renegade doesn't dom ;-)

one thing i would like is just a small "lock on" when trying to healing someone(not buildings ) so if they move abit you still are healing thim.. not like TF2 ware you can run in front of someone your healing and such... just you can move a little bit and not lose your target...

QUOTE (dyslexicdavey @ Apr 21 2009, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
one thing i would like is just a small "lock on" when trying to healing someone(not buildings ) so if they move abit you still are healing thim.. not like TF2 ware you can run in front of someone your healing and such... just you can move a little bit and not lose your target...[/b]

Yeah, the link gun in UT does something similar, the beam bends to the direction of the target your healing, no extreme bends just curves until the bend is too acute to be linked.

And I think alot of you have missed the point, or just not used the link gun much in either UT3 or UT2004 :-)

So you were trying to say the beams should link up where the second person should power up the first person, and only the first person should control the output beam? (like in UT04) (Which would still only be the sum total of the two beams together, aka double, so you might as well just let the two players control their beams independently, which we're doing anyways.)

As for the "lock on" we would probably indeed use the same beam bending mechanic as the Link Gun except limit the possible angle of bend much more than in UT and have it only work on infantry models.

QUOTE (Mighty BOB! @ Apr 22 2009, 02:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So you were trying to say the beams should link up where the second person should power up the first person, and only the first person should control the output beam? (like in UT04) (Which would still only be the sum total of the two beams together, aka double, so you might as well just let the two players control their beams independently, which we're doing anyways.)[/b]

Yeah I kind of figured really, it was a spur of the moment idea, I mean to have it working in UT2004 and onwards they must have had a slight bonus, for example 1 beam is the equivilant of 1.0 or 100% and 2 beams was the equivilant of 2.25 repair rate or 225%, a bonus of 25%. Something to think about as it then prmots the idea of team play among engineers, the more connected beams the greater the bonus (rounding the beam intensit by about 4 times the bonus, or 4 beams into 1). I think it's worth thinking about as it's a decent feature in the Unreal series anyway.