Possible Achievements

R315r4z0r

Someone brought up the topic of in game achievements in the FAQ thread and the dev team said that it is a distinct possibility. So I thought it would be fun to think of a bunch of different achievements players could get when playing RenegadeX.

Here are a few I thought of that would be funny/cool to have:

• OMGLAG!: Die 10 consecutive times without making any kills.
  • Big head: Get 3 consecutive head shots
  • I DESLIKE U!: Kill the same player 3 or more consecutive times in a row.
  • Boomin' Harvest!: Destroy at least 10 Tiberium Refinieries single handily (Over your entire multiplayer career)
  • SINGLE PLAYER POWER PLANT: Destroy at least 10 Power Plants single handily
  • H4X: Head shot a SBH in cloak mode.
  • Nail in the flying coffin: Purchase transport helicopter and get shot down from a lethal height while having at least one other teammate in with you.

I can't think of anymore. Try to come up with others that might be funny or cool to have as achievements.

MVP Master: Get MVP [insertnumber] times in your RenX career.

C4 Ninja: Get a kill by placing a timed C4 on the back of someone.

2 4 1: Get 2 kills with one sniper shot.

Triathalon: Participate in a marathon match that goes for 3hrs or more.

De-Glasser: Shoot 100 glass windows out of the Hand Of Nod.

Radio Spammer: Use radio commands 200 times.

Stealthbane: Kill 100 stealthed units (troops or tanks).

mammy n00b: buy a mammoth three times in the same game

med expert: get 50 kills with a med over your entire ren-x carreer

death from above: make 20 kills with an orca or apache in one game

radio active: nuke 2 buildings in the same game

ion lover: Ion 2 buildings in the same game

Tiberium mutant: kill 20 peeps with a chem warrior

Tank destroyer: kill 200 tanks with pic or raveshaw over you entire Ren-X carreer

Destroyer of base: kill all buildings in the same game

Obliterator: kill 50 buildings over your entire Ren-x carreer

can't think of anything more right now

Economic crisis: Join a game where the refinery is already destroyed and finish the game (win or lose). You have to be playing for at least 10 minutes to get this award.

Prehistoric: Join a game where the powerplant is already destroyed and finish the game (win or lose). You have to be playing for at least 10 minutes to win this award.

Comeback: have 3 buildings less then your enemy, then even the odds.

true skill: have 3 buildings less then your enemy, then win the game.

Close call: destroy the enemy base just before the enemy destroys yours (C4 on your MCT/beacon within 10 seconds of going off)

Accidents happen: kill yourself with C4 5 times in one game.

suicide bomber: kill yourself and at least one enemy with C4 at least 5 times during one game.

I did it on purpose: kill yourself and at least one enemy with C4 at least 15 times in one game.

Where did that come from?: get squished by the enemy harvester.

Troubleshooter: kill at least 2 buildings from full health with C4.

in the nick of time: disarm 2 ions/nukes within the last 3 seconds before it goes off in one game.

Genetic malfunction: die by tiberiumfield 5 times during one game

out of ammo: kill 10 or more people during one game with a pistol. Engineer, hotwire and technician excluded.

Pistolier: kill 20 or more people during one game with a pistol.

Into the fray: Only stop to buy a character/tanks, otherwise you are either shooting at someone, or moving towards the enemy base during the entire game.

Mobbed: Always die by getting hit by at least 2 people during one game.

Fearless: attack and kill at least one enemy, then die shortly afterwards by getting hit by at least 2 people 5 times during one game.

Home sweet home: kill at least 15 people with mines.

Safety first: don't die the entire game.

BBQ: kill 10 or more people with flaming weapons.

Turret technics: destroy at least 5 tanks using the Nod turret.

Turret sniper: kill at least 5 people using the Nod turret.

Recon team: use the Nod buggy/Humvee at least 5 times during the game, while getting more points then the enemy gains on you.

Unfair advantage: get killed by an enemy who spend more then you on his character at least 5 times in a row.

Teamwork!: 3 or more people destroy a building with C4 on the MCT, you do not have to be the one that destroyed it.

Here you go.

God Of War: Get MVP, Highest KD, Highest bodycount in 10 matches or more (at least 15 people on the server)

BOOOOOORIIIIING: stay in a flying coffin for more then 10 minutes in a game (maybe 2ndairy name: transport tycoon?)

GDI allrounder: got every character and tank on GDI side in one game (timed matches only)

Nod allrounder: got every character and tank on Nod side in one game (timed matches only)

GDI stealth: Got every kind of vehicle from Nod (entire Ren-X carreer)

Nod stealth: Got every kind of vehicle from GDI (entire Ren-X carreer)

GDI patience: Got 3 or more vehicles from Nod in one game

Nod patience: Got 3 or more vehicles from GDI in one game

(GDI and Nod separated cos of SBH)

Wake of flatulence: Kill 200 or more ppl with a Chem thrower (entire Ren-X carreer)

Jumpstart: Kill a building within the first 5 minutes of a game

Crashcourse: Kill a tank by pushing it from an edge

Charlies gallore: Kill 10 or more people with a Railgun/PIC in the torso

65K: Have a ping above 300

M.O.R.S.E: have a ping above 500

Pulled the plug: left a game for 3 or more times (due to "connection problems")

α and Ω: (ah crap its supposed to be alpha and omega) get MVP, Highest KD, Highest bodycount and killed all buildings in a game with 20 or more people.

Pacifist: did not do a single damamage in the whole game (lasting 10 minutes or more, being active like repairing)

running out of time, but i can keep spamming this :)

Ban4life

I got a present for ya'! : Kill one of every building in the game with C4 explosives. (not all in the same game duh.)

That was left handed! : Kill every person on the opposite team at least 1 time in a single game. (game must have 10 players per team?)

Farmer : Get 5 or more achievements in a single game.

Invisible hijacker : Steal an enemy vehicle as a Stealth Black Hand.

Last Minute: Single handed repair a structure that is under 10% health back to full health.

Payback: Kill a member of the enemy team who has killed someone from your own team less then a minute ago.

LZ in Sight: Get killed by the Nod cargo plane 200 times in your multiplayer career.

Thief: Steal a vehicle belonging to the enemy team and keep it intact for at least 5 minutes.

Owned: Buy a 1000 credits character after the refinery is destroyed and die without making a single kill.

Pwned: Buy a 2000 credits character after both the Power Plant and Refinery have been destroyed and die without making a single kill.

Roadkill: Get run over 200 times in your multiplayer career.

Roadrunner: Run 200 enemies over in your multiplayer career.

Knock Knock: End a game by placing a beacon on the pedestal.

Who's There?: Single handed disarm a pedestal beacon.

Out of Time: Kill 5 or more enemies with a nuke/ion blast.

All Your Base Are Belong To Us: Single handed destroy the enemy base (by any means).

Stop! Hammertime!: After being hit by an enemy, feign death successfully (without being killed in the 30 seconds following) 5 times in 1 game.

i hope we never see achievements in ren x! i cant think of one thing i have seen in online gaming the last couple of years that has been simultaneously most pointless and detrimental to game play....and Please do not make their requirements for any special items gear or otherwise, even if they are just different models or textures. All this seems to do is drive the majority of people to forget playing the game, work only on achieving the achievements to git the new stuff. and thin just start playing again effectively making the achievements rather pointless IMO. the ONLY way i can see it being fun, even just a little bit, is if all the achievements are secret, thin it is less likely for people to immediately ruined a perfectly good game are trying to achieve them one by one but rather would over time achieve them in the natural course of the game....

i dont really have any thing wrong with achievements themselves, and they can be about fun/ funny.... but looking at BF2 to TF2, i have seen nothing but bad results and little added fun. so who knows, maybe you can develop a way that will impress me :)

maybe use the system that is present in UT, like when you do a head shot the announcer shouts HEAD SHOT!!! in a incredibly satisfying way, just change the voice to EVA or CABAL and we are off.

or like the way that the announcer says: ROCKET SCIENTIST!!! FLAK MONKEY!!!! HEAD HUNTER!!!! i love UT

QUOTE (dyslexicdavey @ Apr 11 2009, 01:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i hope we never see achievements in ren x! i cant think of one thing i have seen in online gaming the last couple of years that has been simultaneously most pointless and detrimental to game play....and Please do not make their requirements for any special items gear or otherwise, even if they are just different models or textures. All this seems to do is drive the majority of people to forget playing the game, work only on achieving the achievements to git the new stuff. and thin just start playing again effectively making the achievements rather pointless IMO. the ONLY way i can see it being fun, even just a little bit, is if all the achievements are secret, thin it is less likely for people to immediately ruined a perfectly good game are trying to achieve them one by one but rather would over time achieve them in the natural course of the game....

i dont really have any thing wrong with achievements themselves, and they can be about fun/ funny.... but looking at BF2 to TF2, i have seen nothing but bad results and little added fun. so who knows, maybe you can develop a way that will impress me :) [/b]

any achievements resulting in better gear would change the gameplay to dramatically. IF the achievements are implemented into the game they're just for fun, nothing else.

QUOTE (Jointn00b @ Apr 11 2009, 04:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
any achievements resulting in better gear would change the gameplay to dramatically. IF the achievements are implemented into the game they're just for fun, nothing else.[/b]

Achievements are just for shitz n' giggles nothing else.

Maybe if you get them all you can use extras in non-ladder games?

Promotion out of reach: play as a free character for an entire match

Parachuting without a parachute: jump out of an aircraft at a high altitude and survive

No help from you: steal a teammate's kill with five rounds or less

Blind as a harvester: as a SBH, sneak into GDI's base using a an enemy vehicle, besides the harvester, as cover

Say cheese!: kill an enemy soldier less than five meters away with a sniper rifle while he is facing you

N00bjets can say hello to my ass: kill a ramjet sniper by landing an Orca/Apache on him

Hot fuse: (given to team) plant 3 or more beacons near enemy structures within 1 second of each other

Big boom: (given to team) destroy 3 or more enemy structures using beacons within 1 second of each other

Fighting with honor: (given to team) complete a match as Nod without anyone buying a SBH

Cleanup on aisle 5: fill a 2x2 meter area with blood in an enemy structure

Sliced: die by landing on a spinning helicopter rotor (assuming helicopter rotors DO kill in RenX...do they?)

QUOTE (DXR_13KE @ Apr 11 2009, 02:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
or like the way that the announcer says: ROCKET SCIENTIST!!! FLAK MONKEY!!!! HEAD HUNTER!!!! i love UT[/b]

Flak monkey? it's Flak master! :)

I think that only being able to see how many you still need to unlock, but not how to unlock them, would be best. Achievements would then result in a changing gameplay: people who would normally be sniping would try their hands on vehicles, people who are the serious miners will suddenly try infantry fights and so on. Especially if half of the achievements are very hard to get it will be a whole new experience to try to achieve, and fight people who try to achieve some hard feat that is probably connected to some area you aren't good at.

Add a few secret achievements, and we got a complete set. Just being capable of saying 'I done this incredible feat, and it happened to be a secret achievement!' would be enough for me to try some nifty tactics.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

QUOTE (Demigan @ Apr 13 2009, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Flak monkey? it's Flak master! :)

I think that only being able to see how many you still need to unlock, but not how to unlock them, would be best. Achievements would then result in a changing gameplay: people who would normally be sniping would try their hands on vehicles, people who are the serious miners will suddenly try infantry fights and so on. Especially if half of the achievements are very hard to get it will be a whole new experience to try to achieve, and fight people who try to achieve some hard feat that is probably connected to some area you aren't good at.

Add a few secret achievements, and we got a complete set. Just being capable of saying 'I done this incredible feat, and it happened to be a secret achievement!' would be enough for me to try some nifty tactics.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.[/b]

People wouldn't be given initiative to try new things, they would play the exact same way they always do. They would just get together with some friends on the side and try to unlock any achievements they can, without actually playing the game.

Its best not to list any achievements at all. The devs shouldn't even tell us if they decide to put them in the game or not.

QUOTE (R315r4z0r @ Apr 14 2009, 02:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
People wouldn't be given initiative to try new things, they would play the exact same way they always do. They would just get together with some friends on the side and try to unlock any achievements they can, without actually playing the game.

Its best not to list any achievements at all. The devs shouldn't even tell us if they decide to put them in the game or not.[/b]

What if they keep the achievements vague? like you see it has something to do with vehicles, but nothing else? That would make people wonder, what should I do with vehicles to earn that reward?
Yeah, there will be people who will just start up a personal server where they will just try to harvest as many achievements as possible. But will that truly bother us? We can only see our own achievements can't we? So it's more a personal feeling of 'I actually did that'. And I would rather earn such an achievement despite all the players and good people around, then because I simply did the works on some personal server where I just staged it. It's something to brag about. 'I got the destroy all buildings achievement when there were 40 people in the match!' Now if there are lots of people (40) who can tell that he actually pulled that off because he was damn well owning everyone, that only doubles the fun.

Come to think of it. if you people do add achievements, it might be fun to add the hardest to get achievement a player earned beneath his/her name. That way, if you destroy the entire base yourself, people will actually see and know it. And the screen won't be cluttered with every single achievement they gather that game which can be rather annoying with new characters/when the mod has just been released.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

QUOTE (Demigan @ Apr 15 2009, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What if they keep the achievements vague? like you see it has something to do with vehicles, but nothing else? That would make people wonder, what should I do with vehicles to earn that reward?
Yeah, there will be people who will just start up a personal server where they will just try to harvest as many achievements as possible. But will that truly bother us? We can only see our own achievements can't we? So it's more a personal feeling of 'I actually did that'. And I would rather earn such an achievement despite all the players and good people around, then because I simply did the works on some personal server where I just staged it. It's something to brag about. 'I got the destroy all buildings achievement when there were 40 people in the match!' Now if there are lots of people (40) who can tell that he actually pulled that off because he was damn well owning everyone, that only doubles the fun.

Come to think of it. if you people do add achievements, it might be fun to add the hardest to get achievement a player earned beneath his/her name. That way, if you destroy the entire base yourself, people will actually see and know it. And the screen won't be cluttered with every single achievement they gather that game which can be rather annoying with new characters/when the mod has just been released.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.[/b]

How about categorising them, like Vehicle Achievements, Death Achievements, Weapon Achievements etc..

I only see personal achievements in there, or have you all forgotten that Rene is based on teamwork, not selfish acts or rewards. By working together with the others you get to be respected, admired, envied. Those are the only achievements we whould be playing for.

QUOTE (Spycon @ Apr 16 2009, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't know bout yall but I was a Halo player.... Why not just have game achievements that don't stay with a person every game? like at the end of a Halo match it would have a bunch of medals after a persons name showing double kill and stuff like that[/b]

Actually, that would be a pretty good idea, haha.
Get medals for sniper headshots, splatters, building kills, etc...

And then the game can keep track of the total amount of medals you have achieved in your career.

QUOTE (Spycon @ Apr 16 2009, 01:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't know bout yall but I was a Halo player.... Why not just have game achievements that don't stay with a person every game? like at the end of a Halo match it would have a bunch of medals after a persons name showing double kill and stuff like that[/b]

That might work, you can't harvest it as you would need to redo it every single game. Still, I would prefer it if you could see somewhere which achievements you got, and how you got them.
What's the exact use of having achievements, but not knowing what the hell you did to unlock it? If you managed to pull something off, you should be able to see what you did to get it.

Team-orïented achievements:
Quickest money: Your team managed to get the harvester safely towards the refinery in the very first run. 50 times in your whole rene-x career.
got you covered: Defended all explosives that destroyed a building. Your own explosive didn't deal damage against the MCT.
Blastoff: Defended the beacon of a friend untill the end of countdown (killed people/tanks within a certain radius of the beacon, within eyesight of the beacon).
Field mechanic: healed more tank/infantry health during the entire game then he dealt damage.
Blown away: Was the first one through a minefield, sacreficing him/herself to allow friendlies to enter a building within seconds after him/herself. at least 50 times during his entire career.
Blown away nr 2: Was the first one through a minefield, sacreficing him/herself to allow friendlies to enter a building within seconds after him/herself. At least 5 times during one game.
Guardian angel: killed enemies that were dealing damage/shooting very close to allies. at least 15 during one match.
Target switch: forced an enemy to switch target towards yourself. The enemy will not deal damage to any ally, while there are ally's within his eyesight for at least 10 seconds more. For at least 4 times during one match.
Savior: defended a friendly tank that was near destruction by standing in the direct line of fire of enemy anti-tank weapons. Your own tank has to survive, the ally tank should receive no damage from anti-tank weapons after you first stood within the line of fire. At least 3 times during one match.
Assault specialist: helped destroy 100 buildings during his whole rene-x career by helping with an APC rush.
Disarmed: Disarmed more then 20 mines in one match to allow friendlies to enter an enemy building safely. There have to be enough mines in the vicinity to kill a 1000 credits character.
Last second save: saved a friendly tank that was under fire by repairing it before it's destroyed. The friendly tank has to receive enough damage that without your help it would have been destroyed, and he has to survive that attack.
Ferryman: brought ally's to the front, returned heavily damaged/people out of ammo to the base in one run. At least 100 times during his/her carreer.
Fatal extraction: Managed to bring a friendly unit safely out of an enemy firefight with a vehicle. 50 times during your whole rene-x career.
Loanshark: gave more then 10.000 credits to ally's. Every credit received will be deducted from the total given. You have to finish the match to achieve it. At least 10 times during your whole rene-x career.
Santa clause: Gave more then 100.000 credits to ally's, every credit received will be deducted from the total given. You have to finish the match to achieve it. At least 10 times during your whole rene-x career.

That good enough?

QUOTE (Demigan @ Apr 15 2009, 04:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
'I got the destroy all buildings achievement when there were 40 people in the match!' Now if there are lots of people (40) who can tell that he actually pulled that off because he was damn well owning everyone, that only doubles the fun.[/b]

why is it more fun to you if you did this and no one knew VS you do this and we all know? i gust dont understand how that adds to the fun... nothing wrong with it i guess ether thow...

QUOTE (dyslexicdavey @ Apr 16 2009, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
why is it more fun to you if you did this and no one knew VS you do this and we all know? i gust dont understand how that adds to the fun... nothing wrong with it i guess ether thow...[/b]

Even on the internet, people want to be recognised for what they do. Especially in a shooter where people are busy with competetive play, the more extroadinary your skills and deeds you pulled of, the more respect such a person will earn. If people can see what achievements someone earned during one game, that will get him more respect, people will get to know that player for that, and will act on that in a game. I would personally much rather listen to a player that's good at destroying buildings when I'm going to rush a base then someone who is mostly known for his incredible sniper skills. It changes ofcourse when the infantry building of the enemy is destroyed and the sniper guy offers to try and kill the remaining special troops, then I would prefer to listen to him then the person that's good in destroying buildings.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan

allright, some good points. i can say i have gone in to games that i donot play with ppl i know , someone will say to do something and im like " do you know what your talking about? " ... and you just donot know.... so yes, this may help in that regards when someone is trying to get the team to move on a strategy, which is all was good!

QUOTE (Demigan @ Apr 15 2009, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.[/b]

If people did that, it would bother me completely. I see achievements like I see trading cards. It's fun to collect them and show off the rare ones. But if you just go and get them in stupid effortless ways, then it ruins the entire reason for having them in the first place.

I mean, seriously, if you are playing Renegade X and you get a hard to get achievement, such as head shotting a SBH while he is cloaked, then getting all worked up that you did that and got that achievement when suddenly another player just goes and says something like "big deal, I've gotten that one like 10 times already" (because he had a private server with a friend and they took turns killing each other as SBHs), it sort of ruins the feeling of collecting that achievement in the a fair way.

Suggestions to circumvent this problem:
1. Perhaps it could be possible to only allow achievements in official servers? Meaning you can't get achievements playing on your own (unless it is like "Played 50 LAN matches")
2. What if achievements were server based? Like all of your achievements are stored server-side. So if you got one achievement playing in a specific server, you would have it saved in that server, but if you went to another server, you would have to get it again.

QUOTE (hatstand @ Apr 15 2009, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How about categorising them, like Vehicle Achievements, Death Achievements, Weapon Achievements etc..[/b]

This is a good idea. Just have like categories saying Vehicle Based Achievements, Infantry Based Achievements, ect, without giving any detail as to how many there are or how to get any single one. Not even the names of them should be present. (Or maybe the names of different achievements should be added to your list, whether you get it or not, when someone else in a match gets it. Like if a teammate gets an achievement that you don't have for destroying 3 structures, then that achievement's name would show up in a list and should be indicated that you haven't gotten it yet.)

QUOTE (TigerXtrm @ Apr 15 2009, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Might be a good idea to hand out the achievements only at the end of each round so people don't figure out achievement requirements eventually.[/b]

This is also an excellent idea. It would also encourage people to stay in the games longer and wait for them to play out instead of quitting when they are losing or whatever.

QUOTE (R315r4z0r @ Apr 17 2009, 02:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Suggestions to circumvent this problem:
1. Perhaps it could be possible to only allow achievements in official servers? Meaning you can't get achievements playing on your own (unless it is like "Played 50 LAN matches")
2. What if achievements were server based? Like all of your achievements are stored server-side. So if you got one achievement playing in a specific server, you would have it saved in that server, but if you went to another server, you would have to get it again.[/color]

This is also an excellent idea. It would also encourage people to stay in the games longer and wait for them to play out instead of quitting when they are losing or whatever.[/b]

I think it best if almost every achievement can only be registered when you finish the map untill the end, and you played for at least so many minutes and there were at least so many players on the server. If they can make it so that the most efficiënt way to earn these achievements is by playing in normal servers, then creating your own servers would be more a waste of time then anything else.

Server based achievements... There are already a lot of servers right now that sport something like that. It might work. It might also start to lag every server. When I check my achievements right now on UT, then it takes a whole while to load the 3 specific players I got selected of which I want to see the stats and achievements. If you could request the achievements in game... I don't think the servers would be happy with that and start lagging.

Bots: Since there will be bots available, I think that a few specific bot-based achievements would be in order. And all other achievements should be impossible to get if there's bots around. Otherwise an 'official' server will be started, filled with novice bots only to harvest those achievements yet again.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

QUOTE (Demigan @ Apr 17 2009, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it best if almost every achievement can only be registered when you finish the map untill the end, and you played for at least so many minutes and there were at least so many players on the server. If they can make it so that the most efficiënt way to earn these achievements is by playing in normal servers, then creating your own servers would be more a waste of time then anything else.

Server based achievements... There are already a lot of servers right now that sport something like that. It might work. It might also start to lag every server. When I check my achievements right now on UT, then it takes a whole while to load the 3 specific players I got selected of which I want to see the stats and achievements. If you could request the achievements in game... I don't think the servers would be happy with that and start lagging.

Bots: Since there will be bots available, I think that a few specific bot-based achievements would be in order. And all other achievements should be impossible to get if there's bots around. Otherwise an 'official' server will be started, filled with novice bots only to harvest those achievements yet again.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.[/b]

Yes to the bots part.
Server based achievements is something different. There is just a list that is connected to the server. After every game, list will get updated. It is relatively not a lot of information. Just a name and his/her achievements will be linked through and added to the list.
If you compare that to flying debree, location of the characters, bots, all the flying bullits, etc. its not a lot to keep in the memory.

Achievements should look like this:
Vehicle achievements (2/25)
Tank buster (done): Kill 20 tanks in one match
Tank allrounder GDI: Has had every tank of GDI in one match
23 still undiscovered

Death achievements (3/9)
I did it on purpose: Killed yourself and an enemy over 20 times in one match with your own C4
Body smasher:
Deadly stare: Didnt fire a single shot in a firefight
6 still undiscovered

Secret achievements (3)
Black box
Uri Geller
Albinoblacksheep

etc.
Some achivements are shown how you get them, others arent. They are only shown in the list if you have done them.
Secret achievements could also be caterogised under for example death achievements in a sub-catagory.
Secret achievements is best not to be shown at all how they are done, exept if they are very, very hard.

QUOTE (Demigan @ Apr 17 2009, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it best if almost every achievement can only be registered when you finish the map untill the end, and you played for at least so many minutes and there were at least so many players on the server. If they can make it so that the most efficiënt way to earn these achievements is by playing in normal servers, then creating your own servers would be more a waste of time then anything else.[/b]

People play Renegade to play Renegade, not get achievements. It isn't the main objective of the game. Therefore it doesn't make sense to draw the conclusion that people wouldn't make their own games because it would be a waste of time.

I don't think they would make their own games in the first place anyway... Lol.

QUOTE (Demigan @ Apr 17 2009, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Server based achievements... There are already a lot of servers right now that sport something like that. It might work. It might also start to lag every server. When I check my achievements right now on UT, then it takes a whole while to load the 3 specific players I got selected of which I want to see the stats and achievements. If you could request the achievements in game... I don't think the servers would be happy with that and start lagging.[/b]

I don't see how it would cause lag... and if it does, then I don't see that much of a need to have to check them while you play.

QUOTE (R315r4z0r @ Apr 18 2009, 02:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
People play Renegade to play Renegade, not get achievements. It isn't the main objective of the game. Therefore it doesn't make sense to draw the conclusion that people wouldn't make their own games because it would be a waste of time.

I don't think they would make their own games in the first place anyway... Lol.[/b]

Achievements arent the goal of the game, but they do help motivating for some stuff. It helps you show of some things you have worked hard for. It can raise your status as a renegade player, wich is something very valueble. Some people would do anything to raise their status. Being a mod helps for example, but cheating does too. If you do it in a fasion that it isnt really seen, everyone thinks you are a good player and you will be looked up to. (I dont name some of the people who did it, some even were mods)
I mean, what is playing renegade good for if everyone thinks your nothing? You only have the fun of trying to destroy the base and stuff. Its fun, I grant you, but you can get more...
Status can even help in fights. If you are up against someone you know is good, you will react differently. I have seen people who in normal firefights are quite good, but against good players they suddenly jump around, bullits flying everywhere exept in the right direction. If you inspire fear into your enemies, you can get a lot further.

So yes, achievements would change gameplay and some people would do ANYTHING to get those achievements. Just to show off how "good" they are. Some people think achievements are everything.
Also, if you look at the equivilent of achivements on the servers this moment. These are called recommandations. Some people show them off, are really proud of every single one they got. Even if they get 5 every day from friends for no reason.

Achievements change gameplay. They can get the whole purpose of the game instead of winning.

Ban4life

I don't think so. Prospectively, people really couldn't care less about what other people do.

I mean, there will be the rare conversation "Oh, how did you get that achievement?" but that's about as far as it goes. No one will think any different of you if you have all achievements than if you had just a few achievements.

People want to play the game the way they want, not stop what they are doing to praise some other dude they don't know and follow his/her every order and movement. Remember, its a game, and games are for entertainment. People wont play the game if they don't want to be entertained by it.