My Xbox 360 died

Bret_Hart

QUOTE (Bret_Hart @ Apr 3 2009, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yup, I'm gonna get a PS3 tomorrow. Better network and stuff.[/b]

Please tell me i'm seeing things. Free multiplayer yes........but not better.

But, I heard Microsoft replaced a chip in the 360 causing the red-rings to appear. I have yet to encounter a problem and I've had mine for almost a year now.

QUOTE (TsuScorpio @ Apr 4 2009, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please tell me i'm seeing things. Free multiplayer yes........but not better.

But, I heard Microsoft replaced a chip in the 360 causing the red-rings to appear. I have yet to encounter a problem and I've had mine for almost a year now.[/b]

It will happen to you. Soon. Be aware. When you least expect it. But anyways, I don't like having to pay $$$ for everything you download.

Some of you guys talk like the RROD is something every 360 has - simply isn't true.

I won't start a console war; but the PS3 really isn't worth the money. However, if you really want to go down that route, at least wait until a price drop.

Mine hasn't RROD'd and its 2.5 years old (if I'm honest though, I don't play it much as I don't have much free time). If it breaks outside of the 3 year warranty all I need is the system. I have the hard drive, a memory card, controllers etc - I'd only need to buy the cheapest arcarde I could find (like £100 tops, new).

My system is the old core version, without HDMI - so for the £100 I'd get a system, another controller, HDMI port, another memory card... Added all together I wouldn't be that out of pocket anyway (and actually it'd STILL work out cheaper than a PS3 for me). I don't mind paying it either, it only works out at about £70 for a replacement system.

Its all "who's better than who". RRODs happen, sometimes they don't. Microsoft are pretty good about it, they got my friend's done in under 4 weeks which I think is fairly reasonable.

Unfortunate you got it, don't be disheartened, Microsoft will get it fixed up for you :) . They're not an indian-based firm, properly trained staff fix the issue :) .

QUOTE (WNxBoMbZu @ Apr 5 2009, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used the towel technique to get mine fixed

and its still working :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avWs4-wD15w...feature=related[/b]

Don't do that, it ends up doing more harm than good, and it will eventually red ring again. It's a very temporary fix. The problem are the clamps they used to secure the heatsink in place; they warp the board and cause the solders under the GPU to crack. Best way to fix it is to replace the X clamps with proper bolts, and then reflow. The towel trick causes the whole inside to heat up, reflowing the solders, but it doesn't fix the root problem or repair them to new condition.

The bottom line is that any 360 without an X clamp fix will eventually get the 3 rings of death, weather it's in 6 months or 6 years, it's inevitable.

QUOTE (maty @ Apr 8 2009, 12:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some of you guys talk like the RROD is something every 360 has - simply isn't true.

I won't start a console war; but the PS3 really isn't worth the money. However, if you really want to go down that route, at least wait until a price drop.

Mine hasn't RROD'd and its 2.5 years old (if I'm honest though, I don't play it much as I don't have much free time). If it breaks outside of the 3 year warranty all I need is the system. I have the hard drive, a memory card, controllers etc - I'd only need to buy the cheapest arcarde I could find (like £100 tops, new).

My system is the old core version, without HDMI - so for the £100 I'd get a system, another controller, HDMI port, another memory card... Added all together I wouldn't be that out of pocket anyway (and actually it'd STILL work out cheaper than a PS3 for me). I don't mind paying it either, it only works out at about £70 for a replacement system.

Its all "who's better than who". RRODs happen, sometimes they don't. Microsoft are pretty good about it, they got my friend's done in under 4 weeks which I think is fairly reasonable.

Unfortunate you got it, don't be disheartened, Microsoft will get it fixed up for you :) . They're not an indian-based firm, properly trained staff fix the issue :) .[/b]

If you say so.....

That was one of the problems is with the design of the xbox360, the thermal paste very cheap stuff and the heatsink isn't all that good either, it comes lose and causes the paste to crack and dry out then the poor thing cooks itself. I know a guy who makes most his living by fixing xbox's. Its a pretty common thing that happens, but over the revisions made to the xbox360 its becoming less and less likely.

I agree with maty on this. Just because you have a 360, doesn't mean you will get an RRoD. And Microsoft is pretty good about it too. They admit that it has problems and they do their best to fix it. They update its design and internal parts every so often to counter all the problems people have with the 360s.

However, it really comes down to the end user and how you handle the console. If you keep it in a bad spot, or you travel with it a lot, or what ever.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (WNxBoMbZu @ Apr 5 2009, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used the towel technique to get mine fixed

and its still working :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avWs4-wD15w...feature=related[/b]

Why the hell would you do something like that? You have your system for like 5 or 6 months, there is a 3 year warranty on the xbox. I suggest you send your xbox on an one week vacation to the Repair Center in Germany. ;)