OH OH OH! Idea time! =3

epicelite

To prevent team vehicle stealing most servers have the "!lock" thing, but then enemies can take it because your team can not hold it for you!

So how about a setting for each player to choose.

[ ] Only allow other teammates to use my current vehicles turret.

That way if someone on your team hope into your vehicle when you get out to fix it they can use the turret but can not drive off with it!

Also sometimes you will get out to repair a APC/Tranny and someone on your team will hop in and get control of it without knowing this will fix that as well!

I don't see a down side? :blink:

PS: In renegade you can hit Q to let your passenger control the turret when you jump out, but they can just hop out/in and get full control and drive off. :angry:

The simple solution to that is not getting out of your vehicle until you're in your base lol. I always hated when someone on my team would buy a mammoth tank, take out in the dead middle of the Islands map, and get out to heal it only for an SBH to carjack him.

Heal in base. If you're not going to make it back to base than just let the thing die, it's not like you can outheal the damage that is being delt to you anyways.

On the flip side, it was also fun being an SBH and taking advantage of those people.

QUOTE (Techno @ Mar 11 2009, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The simple solution to that is not getting out of your vehicle until you're in your base lol. I always hated when someone on my team would buy a mammoth tank, take out in the dead middle of the Islands map, and get out to heal it only for an SBH to carjack him.

Heal in base. If you're not going to make it back to base than just let the thing die, it's not like you can outheal the damage that is being delt to you anyways.

On the flip side, it was also fun being an SBH and taking advantage of those people.[/b]

Uhh, that is TOTALLY not what I am talking about.

Yeh, you kinda missed the point :P.

He was on about teammates stealing your vehicle. Renegade has servermods that let you lock your vehicle so players on your team couldn't steal, but they couldn't use the turret either (so say you were in you base healing your tank, someone could run off with it. With !lock, they couldn't)

What epiclite is proposing is that they can still utilise the turret whilst you're out of it, but you stil retain overall control of your purchase.

Think its a good idea personally =].

In basic terms he wants it so you can't steal an occupied vehicle whether that person is the driver, gunner or passenger.

He also wants a toggle to allow his teammates to get in the vehicle when it's empty, but won't be able to drive off with it.

I'm impartial to either side, as I tend to blow up enemy vehicles more often than stealing :)

No plz, one of the things that was fun to do in renegade, was to take an SBH and go steal vehicles from noobs who got out to repair, so plz, do NOT, implent this..

Only thing you could add is a standard !bind or !lock function as soon as you enter the vehicle

I'm sorry but everything you described is already in Renegade.

!Lock prevents team theft, Q allows teammates to use your turret.

The only difference you are describing is that instead of needing to be in the vehicle already as a passenger when you get out to repair, a teammate could get in after you get out (instead of before) and they would automatically be assigned to the passenger slot instead of the driver slot, and therefore wouldn't be kicked out by the !lock function. Otherwise what you are describing is no different from how it already is in Renegade. It only changes order of operations.

However it is a good idea that any teammate who gets in the tank while it is locked should be assigned to the passenger slot. I like that idea. If it isn't locked though that's your own damn fault (especially with auto-locking).

QUOTE (epicelite @ Mar 10 2009, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but then enemies can take it because your team can not hold it for you![/b]

Get someone in your tank before you get out to repair.

QUOTE (epicelite @ Mar 10 2009, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but they can just hop out/in and get full control and drive off. :angry:[/b]

Only if you're an idjit and have your tank unlocked.

QUOTE (Mighty BOB! @ Mar 11 2009, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sorry but everything you described is already in Renegade.

!Lock prevents team theft, Q allows teammates to use your turret.

The only difference you are describing is that instead of needing to be in the vehicle already as a passenger when you get out to repair, a teammate could get in after you get out (instead of before) and they would automatically be assigned to the passenger slot instead of the driver slot, and therefore wouldn't be kicked out by the !lock function. Otherwise what you are describing is no different from how it already is in Renegade. It only changes order of operations.

However it is a good idea that any teammate who gets in the tank while it is locked should be assigned to the passenger slot. I like that idea. If it isn't locked though that's your own damn fault (especially with auto-locking).

Get someone in your tank before you get out to repair.

Only if you're an idjit and have your tank unlocked.[/b]

Ok then let me just lock my tank, well looks like I am in my base, seems safe enough so I think I will fix it.

FIX FIX FIX

FUCK A SBH STOLE IT!

FUCKING NO BASE DEFENSE MAPS!

You aren't understanding what he is asking.

To put it simply, he wants a modified version of the "!lock" function that still locks a vehicle so no one on your team can run off with it, but it still allows other team mates to jump in.

Basically, it locks the driver's seat.

The problem with the "!lock" function in some servers is that it locked everyone out except you. That caused a sort of problem in this sort of situation:

You are a Medium Tank driver that is trying to escape an enemy rush. You make it back to base with low health, but you survive. You put in the !lock command and jump out to repair. The enemy rush comes around and destroys your main base defense. Then at that time, an enemy soldier spots you repairing your tank and rushes to try to get inside it. You don't notice him, but a teammate does. So, in an attempt to protect your tank, your teammate jumps in to block the enemy from stealing it, however they are met with the !lock function that boots them out of the vehicle. Thus letting the enemy unit jump in and drive away. 

Keep in mind this happened [u]in your base[/u]!

Sure you can have someone already seated in the tank, but why would someone waste their time doing nothing inside a tank when there's an enemy rush going on? Why would someone waste their time doing that period?

That man is right!

KobraHunt missed the point too :P. Mighty Bob gets what we're on about but not sure he gets why ^^ :) .

I for one think its an excellent idea; and I would definately make use of such a feature.

QUOTE (R315r4z0r @ Mar 12 2009, 01:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You aren't understanding what he is asking.

To put it simply, he wants a modified version of the "!lock" function that still locks a vehicle so no one on your team can run off with it, but it still allows other team mates to jump in.

Basically, it locks the driver's seat.

The problem with the "!lock" function in some servers is that it locked everyone out except you. That caused a sort of problem in this sort of situation:
You are a Medium Tank driver that is trying to escape an enemy rush. You make it back to base with low health, but you survive. You put in the !lock command and jump out to repair. The enemy rush comes around and destroys your main base defense. Then at that time, an enemy soldier spots you repairing your tank and rushes to try to get inside it. You don't notice him, but a teammate does. So, in an attempt to protect your tank, your teammate jumps in to block the enemy from stealing it, however they are met with the !lock function that boots them out of the vehicle. Thus letting the enemy unit jump in and drive away. 

Keep in mind this happened [u]in your base[/u]!

Sure you can have someone already seated in the tank, but why would someone waste their time doing nothing inside a tank when there's an enemy rush going on? Why would someone waste their time doing that period?[/b]

well an actual button for the lock and bind sequance would really be usefull instead of typing all that crap on the screen.

QUOTE (Frostbyte @ Mar 12 2009, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well an actual button for the lock and bind sequance would really be usefull instead of typing all that crap on the screen.[/b]

There already are buttons for binding and locking. You can even choose other buttons. But i don't think it's on every server.

I fully agree with mighty, just let the locked vehicle put the teammates into the gunner/passenger seat.

To all other stuff, the tanks can be stolen by enemy's any time. If you are stupid enough to let your vehicle be stolen, dont get a vehicle...

my own vehicles that have been stolen is about 3, not even 1 each year. Its all in how you play.

Ban4life

QUOTE (Ban4life @ Mar 12 2009, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I fully agree with mighty, just let the locked vehicle put the teammates into the gunner/passenger seat.
To all other stuff, the tanks can be stolen by enemy's any time. If you are stupid enough to let your vehicle be stolen, dont get a vehicle...
my own vehicles that have been stolen is about 3, not even 1 each year. Its all in how you play.

Ban4life[/b]

I have more vehicles that have been stolen on my record. But if you are smart you just place some C4 on your vehicle before you even start out. Should it be stolen, switch and BOOM. You get both a nice heap of points from destroying a vehicle, and you can immidiately kill the tankstealer. Ofcourse, you should also stay away from the front of the back of your tank or else they will drive over you before you can even switch to explosives.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

QUOTE (epicelite @ Mar 12 2009, 02:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok then let me just lock my tank, well looks like I am in my base, seems safe enough so I think I will fix it.

FIX FIX FIX

FUCK A SBH STOLE IT!

FUCKING NO BASE DEFENSE MAPS![/b]

That's the OP, and he also talks about SBH's to get in, thus my answer is correct, he also wants to lock a vehicle from the oposite team.

I personally think that a feature similar to the !lock function won't work well, like the med tank analogy provided by R315r4z0r. I suggest that no immediate !lock feature be implemented.

Instead, when a teammate gets in your vehicle, a small menu pops up on the HUD, stating that "someone is inside your vehicle" and gives you the option to press a certain key to boot him, or all teammates, out permanently. That way a person, if there is enough of a threat, can temporarily drive your vehicle (if you yourself are too busy) until the threat is gone.

QUOTE (Combine 108 @ Mar 14 2009, 01:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I personally think that a feature similar to the !lock function won't work well, like the med tank analogy provided by R315r4z0r. I suggest that no immediate !lock feature be implemented.
Instead, when a teammate gets in your vehicle, a small menu pops up on the HUD, stating that "someone is inside your vehicle" and gives you the option to press a certain key to boot him, or all teammates, out permanently. That way a person, if there is enough of a threat, can temporarily drive your vehicle (if you yourself are too busy) until the threat is gone.[/b]

nice idea.