End game screen suggestion

CrazyAndy

I hope this hasn't been said before but could it be possible to have a little screen somewhere on final score screen playing highlights of the game like situations when destroying building, people disarming beacon for instance. If you have ever played any sports game like NHL you know how fun it is to see yourself make a goal just one more time. Also, it would be nice to be able to chat (if you don't use mic) so you could express yourself right after the win/(lose).

I know it's tough if not impossible to have a camera recording what's happening but I wanted to suggest this if there's even a little possibility it could happen in later versions. Let it be in 10th version of mod released, I don't mind. Basically it may be too much effort to even try including it in 1st version.

QUOTE (Spycon @ Mar 4 2009, 01:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To me, it seems that Havoc has done a little or a lot of something everywhere n this mod :D Thank god havoc is here[/b]

nice idea, but it will never find its way in the game, not in the version 1.0 and Also I dont think in version 1.999...
Maybe in 2.0! wich is planned for 2047.

its a nice idea sure! Also I said it will find the way in 2.0, if we get it faster ready then expected you may play it not in 2047.. maybe in 2012 or.. it was just a joke and its ready by tomorrow!

It's a good idea, but not worth it, imo. The screen is only up for 10 seconds.. And even more over, it would take up too much room. What if there are a lot of people in the game? The video playing would block the people on the scoreboard.

Not only that, but how would the game know what events were worth replaying? How would it get the recordings? And how would it know what angle to record from?

Like I said, it's a unique idea, but it wouldn't work very well.

However, there should be a chat box. Also, the next map should load WHILE the scores are being displayed. That way people can look at the scores as long as they like, even after the map loads. When they finish looking at the scores, they would click a button that says "Join game" and then they would spawn in.

Yes I agree, pretty good comment(s). I'm putting here my thoughts just because I wanna keep dreaming and share it with others

Ok, it's true the screen lasts only for like ten seconds and there's maybe no space for extra screen. So maybe it would be good idea to make something like they did in Wolfenstein: ET where they have multiple screens which you can switch, you have one showing experiences, one showing awards people have gotten etc. Scorelist could also be scrollable couldn't it? In ET they also have option to chat which is really nice.

I sense recording could be the biggest problem.

First we have to think what to record. I think buildings getting destroyed is always something that gets your epinephrine running. So, what I can quickly think of there's 3 main ways to destroy them.

1. Tanks or inf

2. C4s

3. Ion/nuke

I take it you could approximate that every building is quadrangle so it has 4 walls each pointing different way. Now, you could have one camera on every wall and one inside near where you put all the c4s. For tanks you could setup the cameras to record whenever building has been under attack (constant attacking, health bar going under 50%, etc) and to point to the attackers. For c4s you could make inside camera to record whenever c4s are put to the right place and for ion outside cameras could record whenever there's a beacon placed near the building. Whenever building is destroyed it could stop recording and save maybe 5 seconds of actions. If end game screen lasts 10 seconds there could be two 5 seconds videos running after each other or maybe there could be switchable whole screen for videos (maybe 4 videos rolling at the same time, where one video lasts for 10 seconds for instance). Video choosing could be random or desided by specific rules (ion > c4s > tanks). Also, if no buildings are destroyed you could have the video screen showing Renegade X trailer or something.

Possible problems could be:

1. Video recording is hard to code

I know nothing about coding so I guess it is. Maybe it's even impossible in games like UT3 who knows?

2. Video takes a lot of space/requires a lot from the server machine

I still don't know anything about coding but I do know that somehow they managed to do it even in earlier versions of NHL.

3. No matter how perfectly coders you have you may end up having videos showing blank wall, blue screen or whatever

Yeah that's the case in NHL too, I mean sometimes all you see is just blank post of the goal. But to be honest if I can see even 1 good replay in 10 replays, watching them has been worth it especially if they are in different swappable screen so you don't have to watch them if you don't want to.

I wanna say again I don't want people wasting time to make this happen for the first versions, either.

That's it for now, I'll keep dreaming...

QUOTE (CrazyAndy @ Mar 6 2009, 04:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes I agree, pretty good comment(s). I'm putting here my thoughts just because I wanna keep dreaming and share it with others

Ok, it's true the screen lasts only for like ten seconds and there's maybe no space for extra screen. So maybe it would be good idea to make something like they did in Wolfenstein: ET where they have multiple screens which you can switch, you have one showing experiences, one showing awards people have gotten etc. Scorelist could also be scrollable couldn't it? In ET they also have option to chat which is really nice.

I sense recording could be the biggest problem.
First we have to think what to record. I think buildings getting destroyed is always something that gets your epinephrine running. So, what I can quickly think of there's 3 main ways to destroy them.

1. Tanks or inf
2. C4s
3. Ion/nuke

I take it you could approximate that every building is quadrangle so it has 4 walls each pointing different way. Now, you could have one camera on every wall and one inside near where you put all the c4s. For tanks you could setup the cameras to record whenever building has been under attack (constant attacking, health bar going under 50%, etc) and to point to the attackers. For c4s you could make inside camera to record whenever c4s are put to the right place and for ion outside cameras could record whenever there's a beacon placed near the building. Whenever building is destroyed it could stop recording and save maybe 5 seconds of actions. If end game screen lasts 10 seconds there could be two 5 seconds videos running after each other or maybe there could be switchable whole screen for videos (maybe 4 videos rolling at the same time, where one video lasts for 10 seconds for instance). Video choosing could be random or desided by specific rules (ion > c4s > tanks). Also, if no buildings are destroyed you could have the video screen showing Renegade X trailer or something.

Possible problems could be:

1. Video recording is hard to code
I know nothing about coding so I guess it is. Maybe it's even impossible in games like UT3 who knows?

2. Video takes a lot of space/requires a lot from the server machine
I still don't know anything about coding but I do know that somehow they managed to do it even in earlier versions of NHL.

3. No matter how perfectly coders you have you may end up having videos showing blank wall, blue screen or whatever
Yeah that's the case in NHL too, I mean sometimes all you see is just blank post of the goal. But to be honest if I can see even 1 good replay in 10 replays, watching them has been worth it especially if they are in different swappable screen so you don't have to watch them if you don't want to.

I wanna say again I don't want people wasting time to make this happen for the first versions, either.
That's it for now, I'll keep dreaming...[/b]

Would a screen of whats happend to the bases be better? In UT2k4 you could set cameras around the level and place the screen in a separate area... Now what I am thinking is to set one of these cameras above the base so you can see all of the destroyed buildings and such :P... Not sure of how you would implement it into the endgame scoreboard but that could be a more possible option...

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (CrazyAndy @ Mar 3 2009, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope this hasn't been said before but could it be possible to have a little screen somewhere on final score screen playing highlights of the game like situations when destroying building, people disarming beacon for instance. If you have ever played any sports game like NHL you know how fun it is to see yourself make a goal just one more time. Also, it would be nice to be able to chat (if you don't use mic) so you could express yourself right after the win/(lose).

I know it's tough if not impossible to have a camera recording what's happening but I wanted to suggest this if there's even a little possibility it could happen in later versions. Let it be in 10th version of mod released, I don't mind. Basically it may be too much effort to even try including it in 1st version.[/b]

I already asked and Fobby told me you can't have replays on the ut3 engine...

Idk if he was lying or something... But it would be very cool. Awesome idea.

QUOTE (R315r4z0r @ Mar 5 2009, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's a good idea, but not worth it, imo. The screen is only up for 10 seconds.. And even more over, it would take up too much room. What if there are a lot of people in the game? The video playing would block the people on the scoreboard.

Not only that, but how would the game know what events were worth replaying? How would it get the recordings? And how would it know what angle to record from?

Like I said, it's a unique idea, but it wouldn't work very well.

However, there should be a chat box. Also, the next map should load WHILE the scores are being displayed. That way people can look at the scores as long as they like, even after the map loads. When they finish looking at the scores, they would click a button that says "Join game" and then they would spawn in.[/b]

Oh not just a chatbox but it should have voice chat as well!!!
Of course it will... I keep forgetting its ut3 and not based off the old renegade engine!

• 2 weeks later...

UT3 has build in Replay functionality and enhancing it is kind of my specialty so this is and will continue to be something that im working on for RenX. RenegadeX´s replays will give you plenty of options and will be better then in most games. It allows you to record a full match and when you watch that replay you will be able to view the action from any angle you want as often as you want. So that will be covered and we might see some nice RenX higlight videos on the net in the future :>

But displaying the replays or parts from the replays right at the Endgame screen is not possible and will never be possible. Atleast not within a Unreal Engine based game i think. To watch a replay you first have to disconnect from the server and the UT3 replay system cant be modded to display it while youre still on the server. The UT3 core engine would need some drastic changes to make that work and only Epic could do such changes and i dont think such changes will ever happen. Such a feature isent really so important i think and would raise a lot of questions like what to display, how to display, what to do with those who just want to get to the next map as quickly as possible etc. Those who want to see highlights from the match, fine-> just disconnect from the server and watch your favorite highlights from youre favorite camera angle. I guess thats already a pretty good imporvement compared to C&C Ren.

QUOTE (RypeL @ Mar 29 2009, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Those who want to see highlights from the match, fine-> just disconnect from the server and watch your favorite highlights from youre favorite camera angle. I guess thats already a pretty good imporvement compared to C&C Ren.[/b]

That is an improvement. Being able to watch myself in combat and see what i did wrong is certainly going to help me not repeat the mistake again. I mean wouldn't it be awesome if you could analyze a cw and really see what went wrong ?

QUOTE (dirtycopgangsta @ Mar 29 2009, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is an improvement. Being able to watch myself in combat and see what i did wrong is certainly going to help me not repeat the mistake again. I mean wouldn't it be awesome if you could analyze a cw and really see what went wrong ?[/b]

I can 100% agree on what people want, but i honestly don't think it will work, the extra resource usage dedicated to it might not be worth it in the long run. There is a certain feature that Ive seen through out a lot of games, On the end screen in the background of the player text and scores it shows from the level camera where players currently where, maybe if that was focused on the losing base or winning base at the end then yeah it could work out.

i just say don't waste time on stuff that isn't going to work out straight away.

QUOTE (a1h @ Mar 29 2009, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (dirtycopgangsta @ Mar 29 2009, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is an improvement. Being able to watch myself in combat and see what i did wrong is certainly going to help me not repeat the mistake again. I mean wouldn't it be awesome if you could analyze a cw and really see what went wrong ?[/b]

I can 100% agree on what people want, but i honestly don't think it will work, the extra resource usage dedicated to it might not be worth it in the long run. There is a certain feature that Ive seen through out a lot of games, On the end screen in the background of the player text and scores it shows from the level camera where players currently where, maybe if that was focused on the losing base or winning base at the end then yeah it could work out.

i just say don't waste time on stuff that isn't going to work out straight away.
[/b]

But it does work already :P