Don't remake glacier.

epicelite

Remake glacier!

Glacier had only one real flaw: lag. Glacier has a great layout, you NEED a large team to be able to defend it. Nod can quite safely reach some important buildins, while GDI can do the same.

Unsafely both teams can still reach some buildings. GDI can use the 'hide behind rocks' path all the way to the airstrip/pp. Or in case of the pp they can take a different road too.

Nod can, with getting pounded a lot, reach the wf. You might say, 'how unfair that GDI can reach more buildings with infantry'. But Nod has his own advantages, they can hit one of the more important buildings on this map easily with artillery: the pp. As the GDI pp is quite in the back of the base compared to the places where normally people are fighting, there are usually few people near to repair it and react quickly enough in case of big rushes of stanks, flamers or artillery.

It's a good map, remake plz!

@Jointnoob. The fact with the mines was done on purpose. There was one central point where they could all be disarmed (unless they were on a building, where they wouldn't dissapear). All you had to do was keep snipers trained on the spot to prevent people from disarming them. As the safe places where those snipers can stand for both teams means that neither can shoot the other snipers, it is a pretty nasty place to be disarming: either get shot, or driven down, as all you will be looking at when you are disarming mines is a nice ceiling.

Yours sincerly,

Demigan.

the only reason, why someone doesn't like glacier is because you haven't played it enough to know it's possibilities.

A sneaker's paradise, it gives you ALLOT more possibilities than other standart maps (even if you're GDI).

It's worth remaking.

QUOTE (epicelite @ Mar 3 2009, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
See some people have good taste!

I mean the map has less color then a blank coloring book.[/b]

Isn't Renegade-X removing the entire 'colourless' look? Just look at Under: From straight edges and lines to real caves, snow falls and icicles hanging down everything.

Fortunately, 'good taste' is just an opinion, and discussable. I never liked Field, it's not dynamic enough in my opinion. But lots of other people seem to like it, and I've had my share of fun games in it both attacking and defending. I hope that if they do remake Glacier, that you will have a go at it a few times both as a losing and a winning team on either side, and then tell me how it went.
I think that one of the best Marathon maps is perhaps Glacier. After a few buildings are destroyed, the winning team will have a hard time destroying the last buildings. And if they don't watch out, the opposing team can suddenly even the scales by a perfect infiltration.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

Glacier was.... interesting.

It was the most out of place map in Renegade as it really had nothing too much in common with the other usual rotation maps (Hourglass, Islands, Walls Flying, City Flying, Field, etc). Maybe it's because it was just huge, but something about that map just didn't add anything to the Renegade experience.

I agree with: Make it, but do it last!

It was the snow one with all the confusing tunnels and crannies. I think it came out later than the rest, so you might have missed it.

By the way, I liked glacier! the way those passages work give the losing team a chance at infantry rushing at the last moment (although i've never seen such a thing ;) )

QUOTE (Combine 108 @ Mar 4 2009, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was the snow one with all the confusing tunnels and crannies. I think it came out later than the rest, so you might have missed it.

By the way, I liked glacier! the way those passages work give the losing team a chance at infantry rushing at the last moment (although i've never seen such a thing ;) )[/b]

Yeah it is such a good thing when the team that is LOSEING can make a come back, maybe they lose for a reason!

They do not deserve a second chance!

QUOTE (NEFirestorm @ Mar 4 2009, 04:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember the renstation server cuz it used to have glacier_flyin in rotation. The map is really 2nd best after field[/b]

Yeah! Go Renstation!! hahaha they were the best days of renegade, I reckon. My favourite server. :D

QUOTE (epicelite @ Mar 5 2009, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah it is such a good thing when the team that is LOSEING can make a come back, maybe they lose for a reason!

They do not deserve a second chance![/b]

If the winning team have become relaxed enough in their confidence of winning to allow the losing team to make an infantry rush, the losing team deserves their come back.. =]

You know, I had this whole book I was gonna post about how much I hated Glacier, how horrible it was, and I realized wtf do I think I'm doing?

How much people liked the map and why, it doesn't matter all THAT much. (Unless so many people hated it, but it doesn't look that way.) However, it's a valid point that the map played differently, and built into that map was the exploitation of bugs that Renegade kind of lived with. The base layouts didn't make sense, purposefully put down that way to allow people sneaking around. The map required large crews and good teamplay, or a quick, decisive strike to cripple the enemy. I never really saw large teams, so my experience on it was just a race of attrition. And I do mean "race".

Glacier wasn't like the other maps. They were basically C&C Tib Dawn multiplay maps with a few tunnels thrown in; Glacier was all about the tunnels. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, despite what I think. So, instead, I'm thinking why not make a few more like it?

People who hate Glacier might like a map done in the same style; as in, large teams with lots of different, separate routes to the enemy base. Or, if people just like that style of map, it could almost be a different gametype, apart from the traditional style maps where tank battles are the norm. I know some of the maps released later on had no tanks at all, and were just team slayer with a tib ref and barracks.

I'm happy with just the original ten maps. Hell, I played the beta and never stopped loving Under. And maybe I'm just missing the point with Glacier and haven't had the right experience. I'm actually betting the improved net code of the Unreal3 engine larger game sizes will play out more smoothly. Maybe Glacier, this time around, could be fun.

The one thing I didn't understand about the map... the mines teleporting. OK, so you set up the map to be sneaky, to walk around tunnels and avoid being seen... laying mines in tunnels was the defense for sneaky. I didn't understand why the map was made so that you couldn't mine up tunnels. That was what you did when some idgit was playing silly buggers in the tunnels. Can anyone explain that to me?

Like I said earlier this map is probably the last item in the maps priority list. Even though this was basically a fanmap by Aircraftkiller, the map did get included with a patch as an official, so it should be remade in Renegade X.

QUOTE (TD @ Mar 9 2009, 07:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Like I said earlier this map is probably the last item in the maps priority list. Even though this was basically a fanmap by Aircraftkiller, the map did get included with a patch as an official, so it should be remade in Renegade X.[/b]

Backseat Moderating again?

I liked glacier, exept for sometimes the lag. more then enough ways to infiltrate the enemy base and good distances. The map isnt really that big if you know where you are going. I'm using only a bit more time to get to the enemy base in glacier then for example in under.

So lets see it in x-style!

Ban4life

QUOTE (Ackapus @ Mar 6 2009, 03:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know, I had this whole book I was gonna post about how much I hated Glacier, how horrible it was, and I realized wtf do I think I'm doing?

Glacier wasn't like the other maps. They were basically C&C Tib Dawn multiplay maps with a few tunnels thrown in; Glacier was all about the tunnels. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, despite what I think. So, instead, I'm thinking why not make a few more like it?

I'm happy with just the original ten maps. Hell, I played the beta and never stopped loving Under. And maybe I'm just missing the point with Glacier and haven't had the right experience. I'm actually betting the improved net code of the Unreal3 engine larger game sizes will play out more smoothly. Maybe Glacier, this time around, could be fun.

The one thing I didn't understand about the map... the mines teleporting. OK, so you set up the map to be sneaky, to walk around tunnels and avoid being seen... laying mines in tunnels was the defense for sneaky. I didn't understand why the map was made so that you couldn't mine up tunnels. That was what you did when some idgit was playing silly buggers in the tunnels. Can anyone explain that to me?[/b]

I'm glad I see someone who thinks like this. It opens new ways.
I have played with large numbers, and it was quite good. I liked the map exept for his mapbug.

The teleporting mines were really a way against the sneaking. The mines could be seen and disarmed at one place, but if an enemy walked over the place you mined it, they would explode. It really were invisible mines. If the enemy team didnt mine the buildings but just outside the buildings, you never knew when you were going to explode. It hardly happens though.

The mapbug was the lag. Your system requirements didnt matter (in contrary to what NEFirestorm says :) ) and one or two random persons on the server got a heavy lag. The cause of the lag is unknown, but mostly the fps dropped when a tank fired.

Ban4life