Computer help.....

Ballstein

So my laptop has started acting real slow lately, from turning on and off taking forever.....to programs taking too long to load....to if i'm looking at a website and I right-click to open new tab it takes forever. Now i'm not very good at computers and stuff, so i'm asking for your help. Under the task manager, my CPU usage seems to always be around 75% or more, and physical memory around 40-50%. Also, around 70-75 processes are on at any given time. I've taken most of the startup programs off but have no idea what half of them do.

These are my specs:

HP Pavilion dv6500se

Vista Home Premium 32-bit

2 Duo CPU T7300 @2.00 GHz

2 gigs of RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

DirectX Version 10

I'm running Kaspersky 2009 and it shows no virus's or malware or anything.

On startup, i've pressed F2 and did a memory test and disk check and it says everything is fine.

I've run chkdsk on startup and everything seems fine.

I've defraged my hard drive.

I'd like to do anything but reinstall the OS, so if you have any suggestions please let me know. Also, if you need anymore info about the computer let me know.

Also, if the best thing to do is reinstall the OS, is there a way to save programs that i've downloaded (fraps, bittorrent, Renegade...things like that) on CD's or should I just re-download them once everything is done?

Thanks,

Ballstein

QUOTE (Ballstein @ Feb 11 2009, 03:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So my laptop has started acting real slow lately, from turning on and off taking forever.....to programs taking too long to load....to if i'm looking at a website and I right-click to open new tab it takes forever. Now i'm not very good at computers and stuff, so i'm asking for your help. Under the task manager, my CPU usage seems to always be around 75% or more, and physical memory around 40-50%. Also, around 70-75 processes are on at any given time. I've taken most of the startup programs off but have no idea what half of them do.

These are my specs:
HP Pavilion dv6500se
Vista Home Premium 32-bit
2 Duo CPU T7300 @2.00 GHz
2 gigs of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
DirectX Version 10

I'm running Kaspersky 2009 and it shows no virus's or malware or anything.
On startup, i've pressed F2 and did a memory test and disk check and it says everything is fine.
I've run chkdsk on startup and everything seems fine.
I've defraged my hard drive.

I'd like to do anything but reinstall the OS, so if you have any suggestions please let me know. Also, if you need anymore info about the computer let me know.

Also, if the best thing to do is reinstall the OS, is there a way to save programs that i've downloaded (fraps, bittorrent, Renegade...things like that) on CD's or should I just re-download them once everything is done?

Thanks,
Ballstein[/b]

Your computer is infected, that's for sure. If you have a anti-virus, your computer could also be infected.
I suggest you do the follow things:
1) you already scanned your computer with kaspersky, try scanning it with a different anti-virus. also try anti-spyware programs. (spyware doktor)
Originally posted by important
Important:
Scan your computer in SAFEMODE! (press F8 on start up)

2) If that doesnt help, try to optimize your computer with TuneUp Utilities.

If that doesn't help, you need to reinstall your OS. Safe only important data, leave the junk files......( programs, music) You can redownload them anytime.

You can download Tuneup utilities for free (30 day trial).

I hope I helped ya out.

Grtz,

Do you have any anti spyware? id get spybot or adaware and give them a run and see what shows up. might fix a few small issues,

second thing you can do is go into START -> RUN, type MSCONFIG, and look through the startup tab and disable anything you don't use often that is on start up.

Another thing you can do is run Hijackthis, and remove all other meanies, but as you said you don't know much about computers, so ill say before unselecting anything for deleting it, run a quick google search first to find out what it is, in case its something important.

Also with your memory around 40-50% i wouldn't worry too much about that, that's vista for you. It does a lot of precaching and other stuff.