Suggestions that could Improve the game.

Neutron

I want to discuss my Ideas on improving the game, which could make the game a much better experience.

Lets start:

- make sniper classes characters able to shoot only when scoped. That mean no more annoying "MLG Noscoping", which is what literaly made those classes overpowered.

- Shooting with your gun slows down your movement, or if you shoot while moving, the accuracy drops very badly.  That means no more "Spray & Pray" which makes the gameplay unenjoyable.

- Maybe make a chooseable variety of weapons for the starting classes? Example the Regular soldiers would be able to get equiped with more type of weapons, example one is better at range and accuracy, other is more faster rate of fire which is good for close range and etc.

1 hour ago, Comrade Maxim said:

- make sniper classes characters able to shoot only when scoped. That mean no more annoying "MLG Noscoping", which is what literaly made those classes overpowered.

Something to this effect has already been implemented.

- Shooting with your gun slows down your movement, or if you shoot while moving, the accuracy drops very badly.  That means no more "Spray & Pray" which makes the gameplay unenjoyable.

"unenjoyable" is your personal preference, Renegade X has its roots firmly into Renegade's arcade'esk style of run'n'gun'n'shoot'em'ups and if you want to be more accurate use the ironsights to take out them "Spray & Pray"er's. 

- Maybe make a chooseable variety of weapons for the starting classes? Example the Regular soldiers would be able to get equiped with more type of weapons, example one is better at range and accuracy, other is more faster rate of fire which is good for close range and etc.

You have 5 free infantry to choose from, Riffleman; Grenedier; Engineer; Shotgunner; Marksman... They are your weapons of choice, if you don't want to use the automatic rifle then pick the Marksman? You want to use a different weapon with the "starting classes"? Then you change from one starting class to another starting class. 

• Like 1

On 14.09.2017 at 3:02 AM, Madkill40 said:

"unenjoyable" is your personal preference, Renegade X has its roots firmly into Renegade's arcade'esk style of run'n'gun'n'shoot'em'ups and if you want to be more accurate use the ironsights to take out them "Spray & Pray"er's. 

I disagree with this. The reason why the old Renegade was so arcadeish (Pin-point accuracy) was because of engine limitations, the game was intended to be more about tactics and strategy, the pure "Run & Gun" was for arena shooters like Unreal tournament, Quake, Doom and etc... Renegade is tactical and strategy shooter, not arena shooter.

Hence the reasoning why Renegade would be better of if the combat was more like Battlefield 3 style. You know, running from cover to cover, learning to aim at weaker spots such as head, flanking the enemy, Renegade X kinda lacks that, because the movement and combat style is felling more like playing an unreal tournament game and not a game where tactics required. Hence no one relies on those tactics, eveyone just go "CHANGRE!!!! SPRAY & PRAY TO GET KILLS!" and no any tactics whatsoever, wins whoever has a stronger character and not who have skill.

When remastering a game, we want to Improve it, not just make a copy of it with just better graphics, and not change the gameplay just because nostalgia, because many people played the old version of the game "That way" due to engine limitations.

That is a reason why I dont play with higher difficulties bots in skirimish mode, because they became too much "Dodgy" and it becames annoying later.

Btw, you said "Use ironsights" to deal with spam & prayers... It's not possible, you will not able to aim fast enough to catch the enemy on your sighs, cause the enemy is way too dodgy.

Edited by Comrade Maxim

• Totem Arts Staff

Hence no one relies on those tactics, eveyone just go "CHANGRE!!!! SPRAY & PRAY TO GET KILLS!" and no any tactics whatsoever, wins whoever has a stronger character and not who have skill.

Wait for the day you have any character and CampinJeff kills you with McFarland. 

So you believe zig-zagging is an old method to dodge?

If using the ironsights is too hard for you then I suggest having a bit more distance to avoid aiming issues, maybe increase mouse sensitivity?

There are hitboxes and different damage types thanks to Yosh and devs with their balancing codez, that's why a marksman scoring headshots can do so well against tier 3 infantry.

Speaking of the tier infantry, that is one of those firmly rooted features of Renegade because that is how the RTS's worked. Without the tiers there is little reason for money, unless you just want to pick a playermodel and pay for your load out like in counter-strike? 

You do realise how impractical that is from a visual aspect? How that would just be giving the C&C franchise the middle finger as well?

• Totem Arts Staff
6 hours ago, Comrade Maxim said:

The reason why the old Renegade was so arcadeish (Pin-point accuracy) was because of engine limitations,

I don't think that's true at all. The W3D engine was perfectly capable of handling bullet spread and those other factors. It was an intentional choice to match the shooters of the time. 

Also... there's actually a lot more to a fight than who has the better gun. Headshots matter more in Ren(x) than probably any other game I've ever played, and you need to use your team most of the time more than any other game I can think of as well. There's then the concept of flanking that people don't exploit, and choosing your targets based on armour types. 

If Ren went down the Battlefield route, it'd have a spike in players, then die off completely  like every other game that's 'like' Battlefield' for the sheer sake of it feeling like every other shooter.

Also high level bots ain't that dodgy.  

• Like 2

On 18.09.2017 at 7:12 PM, Madkill40 said:

So you believe zig-zagging is an old method to dodge?

No, not zig-zagging.

I'm talking about randomly Jumping, moving sideways (A and D key movements) while shooting at the enemy, It may not be really noticeable in skirimish with bots, but in multiplayer It's been pulled hell alot of time, It's impossilbe to compete against those players, speciality if you dont have credits to buy stronger classes.

I dont see anything fun in that, It's the reason why I dont play multiplayer.

If using the ironsights is too hard for you then I suggest having a bit more distance to avoid aiming issues, maybe increase mouse sensitivity?

Expect that the enemy is not stupid to stand in front of your Iron-sights and actualy just run away? because you know, the "Time to kill" in this game is very long (Not that I have anything against that, since this is what Renegade was supposed to be).

And by the way:

On 14.09.2017 at 3:02 AM, Madkill40 said:

Heh, funny enough is that most weapons dont have iron-sights. Even if some do, like the SBH laser rifle, their iron sights are so terrible, they cover 90% of the target, making it impossile to even make a proper aim on them, making their Iron sights completely useless.

There are hitboxes and different damage types thanks to Yosh and devs with their balancing codez, that's why a marksman scoring headshots can do so well against tier 3 infantry.

Ok, thanks for letting me know that... But what it has to do with this discussion?

On 19.09.2017 at 12:39 AM, yosh56 said:

I don't think that's true at all. The W3D engine was perfectly capable of handling bullet spread and those other factors. It was an intentional choice to match the shooters of the time. 

I've never seen any game with the W3D engine that was capable of handling bullet spread and the other factors. I was played C&C Red Alert (That game made by Blue Hell productions), had some sort of buller spread, but it was so unnoticeable that you still can hip-fire easly and jump and dodge like crazy very unrealisticaly.

I. there's actually a lot more to a fight than who has the better gun. Headshots matter more in Ren(x) than probably any other game I've ever played, and you need to use your team most of the time more than any other game I can think of as well. There's then the concept of flanking that people don't exploit, and choosing your targets based on armour types. 

Then why you decline my suggestions which will help this to promote even more?

If Ren went down the Battlefield route, it'd have a spike in players, then die off completely  like every other game that's 'like' Battlefield' for the sheer sake of it feeling like every other shooter.

Not saying that Ren X should follow the Battlefield route, I just suggested those so the game will feel less Call of Duty'ish or feel less Unreal Tournament'ish.

Also high level bots ain't that dodgy.  

Last time I played with high difficulty bots, they we're, It's very hard to make good hits on them.

Anyway, If you dont like my first suggestions, how about those then:

- Not able to shoot when jumping.

- when hip-firing on the move, accuracy spread should be greatly increased. Hip-firing will be limited to close quarters only, no more medium range or long range hip-firing.

- How about you nerf the hip-fire of sniper rifle greatly? The hip-fire accuracy of sniper will be very wide that will cover almost all of the screen. And remove the crosshairs completely from sniper rifles, why they need them? Snipers supposed to be long range, not hip-firing. Like come on, crosshairs on sniper rifles? It doesent make any sense!

I hope those changes will be welcome.

On 9/14/2017 at 6:40 AM, Comrade Maxim said:

Maybe make a chooseable variety of weapons for the starting classes? Example the Regular soldiers would be able to get equiped with more type of weapons, example one is better at range and accuracy, other is more faster rate of fire which is good for close range and etc.

Isn't that the point of other free infantry? I mean, suggesting "the Regular soldiers would be able to get equiped with more weapons, example one better at range and accuracy", we already have the marksmen. Faster rate of fire is already the regular soldier's weapon and good for close range is already shotgun trooper and flamethrower's role. Giving more weapon options to Soldiers would be redundant.

I do agree that all these spray and prayers running and jumping around in random directions is silly. Happens in other Renegade mods too like Red Alert Path Beyond and Tiberian Sun Reborn.

On 9/22/2017 at 9:28 AM, Comrade Maxim said:

- How about you nerf the hip-fire of sniper rifle greatly? The hip-fire accuracy of sniper will be very wide that will cover almost all of the screen. And remove the crosshairs completely from sniper rifles, why they need them? Snipers supposed to be long range, not hip-firing. Like come on, crosshairs on sniper rifles? It doesent make any sense!

Weapons in FPS games do have crosshair while in hip fire mode. Never heard people saying that doesn't make any sense. If you're complaining about how snipers shouldn't be trashing everyone in close combat with hip-fire (which I agree), then removing the crosshair isn't the solution, I'm sure those annoying close combat sniper players will have their own ways to be still kicking ass without crosshair. Crosshair is still useful while not looking at scope, like spotting enemies/crates (and issue the spotting radio), checking building's health, spies or player's name, etc - people shouldn't be forced to press zoom or switch to another weapon with a crosshair just to get a crosshair to do some spottings/checkings.

On 23.09.2017 at 6:25 AM, vandal33 said:

Isn't that the point of other free infantry? I mean, suggesting "the Regular soldiers would be able to get equiped with more weapons, example one better at range and accuracy", we already have the marksmen. Faster rate of fire is already the regular soldier's weapon and good for close range is already shotgun trooper and flamethrower's role. Giving more weapon options to Soldiers would be redundant.

Idk, I'm talking about The regular soldier will able to choose varitey of automatic weapons, SMG's, assault Rifles, Carbines, ets. Shotgunner could choose different shotguns, such as Automatic shotgun (Like the jack hammer for example), double barrel shotgun...

On 23.09.2017 at 6:25 AM, vandal33 said:

Weapons in FPS games do have crosshair while in hip fire mode. Never heard people saying that doesn't make any sense. If you're complaining about how snipers shouldn't be trashing everyone in close combat with hip-fire (which I agree), then removing the crosshair isn't the solution, I'm sure those annoying close combat sniper players will have their own ways to be still kicking ass without crosshair. Crosshair is still useful while not looking at scope, like spotting enemies/crates (and issue the spotting radio), checking building's health, spies or player's name, etc - people shouldn't be forced to press zoom or switch to another weapon with a crosshair just to get a crosshair to do some spottings/checkings.

Not saying snipers should not able to spot enemies or crates, just saying that the removal of crosshair from sniper will help to reduce those noscoping close-quarters snipers.

And btw, snipers should not have alot of armor like the other high tier classes, It should have only 100 armor.

Edited by Comrade Maxim

5 hours ago, Comrade Maxim said:

Idk, I'm talking about The regular soldier will able to choose varitey of automatic weapons, SMG's, assault Rifles, Carbines, ets. Shotgunner could choose different shotguns, such as Automatic shotgun (Like the jack hammer for example), double barrel shotgun...

Not saying snipers should not able to spot enemies or crates, just saying that the removal of crosshair from sniper will help to reduce those noscoping close-quarters snipers.

And btw, snipers should not have alot of armor like the other high tier classes, It should have only 100 armor.

That goes completely against the feel of the original. I come here to play a modern version of renegade, not because I'm too cheap to buy BF4 of COD or whatever game you are trying to turn renegade x into. 

On 9/21/2017 at 9:28 PM, Comrade Maxim said:

No, not zig-zagging.

I'm talking about randomly Jumping, moving sideways (A and D key movements) while shooting at the enemy, It may not be really noticeable in skirimish with bots, but in multiplayer It's been pulled hell alot of time, It's impossilbe to compete against those players, speciality if you dont have credits to buy stronger classes.

I dont see anything fun in that, It's the reason why I dont play multiplayer.

Expect that the enemy is not stupid to stand in front of your Iron-sights and actualy just run away? because you know, the "Time to kill" in this game is very long (Not that I have anything against that, since this is what Renegade was supposed to be).

And by the way:

Heh, funny enough is that most weapons dont have iron-sights. Even if some do, like the SBH laser rifle, their iron sights are so terrible, they cover 90% of the target, making it impossile to even make a proper aim on them, making their Iron sights completely useless.

Ok, thanks for letting me know that... But what it has to do with this discussion?

I've never seen any game with the W3D engine that was capable of handling bullet spread and the other factors. I was played C&C Red Alert (That game made by Blue Hell productions), had some sort of buller spread, but it was so unnoticeable that you still can hip-fire easly and jump and dodge like crazy very unrealisticaly.

Then why you decline my suggestions which will help this to promote even more?

Not saying that Ren X should follow the Battlefield route, I just suggested those so the game will feel less Call of Duty'ish or feel less Unreal Tournament'ish.

Last time I played with high difficulty bots, they we're, It's very hard to make good hits on them.

Anyway, If you dont like my first suggestions, how about those then:

- Not able to shoot when jumping.

- when hip-firing on the move, accuracy spread should be greatly increased. Hip-firing will be limited to close quarters only, no more medium range or long range hip-firing.

I hope those changes will be welcome.

Are you implying you don't know how to bounce around while attacking? Did you never play OG renegade?

• Like 2

On 25.09.2017 at 11:57 PM, swaffelen said:

That goes completely against the feel of the original. I come here to play a modern version of renegade, not because I'm too cheap to buy BF4 of COD or whatever game you are trying to turn renegade x into.

I'm not trying to turn it into CoD. On the contrary, I suggest Ideas to make it look LESS than CoD. About the weapon variety, I think it would be more interesting to play if there is more variety.

On 25.09.2017 at 11:57 PM, swaffelen said:

Are you implying you don't know how to bounce around while attacking? Did you never play OG renegade?

What does that even mean?

Edited by Comrade Maxim

7 hours ago, Comrade Maxim said:

I'm not trying to turn it into CoD. On the contrary, I suggest Ideas to make it look LESS than CoD. 

How, in any way is renegade even close to call of duty? Other than the fact you get to shoot guns?

On 9/25/2017 at 11:46 PM, Comrade Maxim said:

Well, we had the option to choose our sidearm and explosives but that feature got removed. Not sure why they removed it but they probably had a good reason to.

• Totem Arts Staff
7 hours ago, vandal33 said:

Well, we had the option to choose our sidearm and explosives but that feature got removed. Not sure why they removed it but they probably had a good reason to.

Mostly because they wanted to diversify the classes and strengthen the role that they are supposed to play. Havoc/Sak with tib guns is pretty op. Hottie also can infiltrate easily and kill most people if she has a tib weapon

Edited by Sarah!
  • Thanks 1

Class customization doesn't work with a game which relies heavily on identifying classes based on visual cues, if I saw an officer player-model whilst driving a tank but was taking serious damage I wouldn't think twice that it was the Officer player-model. Maybe a silenced and non-silenced weapon of the same type? Or different types of grenades based on infantry tier?